Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 05:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If possession of a gun is your only safety then you are not living in a very free place.
Has your home ever been broken into while you were within? Mine has. How long do you imagine it takes the police to arrive? In my neighborhood, that's a little over 8 minutes.

In my car I have a spare tire and jumper cables. Not because I fear nails on the road or dead batteries, but should I encounter a problem because of one, I am prepared to deal with it in an effective manner. Same with my gun. My 9 y.o. daughter has been taught what a gun is, what it can do, how to safely handle and use one (she has her own), and how to properly care for it. I have no qualms about having my go-to gun loaded and ready where I can quickly and easily find it when something goes bump in the night. It's just a tool for accomplishing a certain job, not unlike a hammer or a pen. This one just has certain precautions on its safe use.

It must be terrible to live in fear as you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
I studied in Italy for 4 months way back in 1998. I don't know if things changed in Europe since then, but I was struck by how much less one's daily life was regulated in Italy. No one cared about jaywalking. I don't smoke, but one could smoke just about anywhere. If there was a drinking age, I didn't see it enforced. If you wanted to dine outside, with a glass of wine or beer, you could do so, without being put into a corral for people.

In the US, I know people who have been ticketed for jaywalking. Depending on the state one is living in, it's illegal to smoke just about anywhere outside of one's own home. (and not always there) Anyone caught drinking under the age of 21 will be in trouble with the law. And, having an open container of alcohol in public is also illegal almost everywhere except on one's own property. If you want to dine outside with a glass of wine, there are special fenced-in areas where they will seat you.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM

15,963 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Has your home ever been broken into while you were within? Mine has. How long do you imagine it takes the police to arrive? In my neighborhood, that's a little over 8 minutes.

In my car I have a spare tire and jumper cables. Not because I fear nails on the road or dead batteries, but should I encounter a problem because of one, I am prepared to deal with it in an effective manner. Same with my gun. My 9 y.o. daughter has been taught what a gun is, what it can do, how to safely handle and use one (she has her own), and how to properly care for it. I have no qualms about having my go-to gun loaded and ready where I can quickly and easily find it when something goes bump in the night. It's just a tool for accomplishing a certain job, not unlike a hammer or a pen. This one just has certain precautions on its safe use.

It must be terrible to live in fear as you do.
yes, it IS terrible to live in fear that you may go to a theater or a mall and be shot by a guy with a gun (usually a white guy). or my child may not come home from kindergarten because a guy with gun got in and shot everyone. It is a horrifying thought that the police we hire with our taxes are so powerless or incompetent that we all have to give our kids guns and teach them how to shoot people. Living in fear of imminent death, either cause by you or done to you, is not freedom.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I studied in Italy for 4 months way back in 1998. I don't know if things changed in Europe since then, but I was struck by how much less one's daily life was regulated in Italy. No one cared about jaywalking. I don't smoke, but one could smoke just about anywhere. If there was a drinking age, I didn't see it enforced. If you wanted to dine outside, with a glass of wine or beer, you could do so, without being put into a corral for people.

In the US, I know people who have been ticketed for jaywalking. Depending on the state one is living in, it's illegal to smoke just about anywhere outside of one's own home. (and not always there) Anyone caught drinking under the age of 21 will be in trouble with the law. And, having an open container of alcohol in public is also illegal almost everywhere except on one's own property. If you want to dine outside with a glass of wine, there are special fenced-in areas where they will seat you.
hey, but you can open carry! is that not freedom?? can Italians do that?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,955 times
Quote:
hey, but you can open carry! is that not freedom?? can Italians do that?
Tough choice isn't it? Open carry a bottle of beer or open carry a gun

Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Tough choice isn't it? Open carry a bottle of beer or open carry a gun
beer is beer. gun is FREEDOM!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:48 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
With the muslim influx, let's see how much longer Europeans are free? It seems that their women are no longer free to walk the streets without sexual harassment from muslims.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
beer is beer. gun is FREEDOM!
A gun is a gun particularly when the government has bigger ones. That being the case, a gun is a dangerous delusion. More freedoms in the U.S. have been gained and maintained through moral suasion than a gun.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:22 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I studied in Italy for 4 months way back in 1998. I don't know if things changed in Europe since then, but I was struck by how much less one's daily life was regulated in Italy.
They haven't changed that much. Just a look at the EU Constitution, the constitutions of European nations and you would be hard pressed to find a qualitative difference between the personal liberties of Europeans and Americans.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:44 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
yes, it IS terrible to live in fear that you may go to a theater or a mall and be shot by a guy with a gun (usually a white guy). or my child may not come home from kindergarten because a guy with gun got in and shot everyone. It is a horrifying thought that the police we hire with our taxes are so powerless or incompetent that we all have to give our kids guns and teach them how to shoot people. Living in fear of imminent death, either cause by you or done to you, is not freedom.
You do realize that the target of choice for all of those mass shootings is always gun-free zones. Gun-free schools. Gun-free theaters. Gun-free university campuses. Why do you suppose that is?

You have two options:
A.) Take all the guns away. This is extremely difficult of course. It would require
  • The 2nd Amendment be repealed by a new amendment, ratified by 3/4 of the states.
  • That the estimated 300 million guns out there be found and confiscated.
  • Tracking down and shutting down the black market for guns.
  • Best guess, IF you can repeal the 2nd Amendment, it'll take 100-200 years to complete.

B.) Arm several thoroughly vetted and trained adults at these easy-target (aka gun-free) zones. This could be done tomorrow and is already being implemented in schools in 7 states that I know of. Israel did this very thing because Hamas and other terrorist groups were targeting schools and daycares. It's worked quite well for them. The terrorists almost never target schools anymore. Why? Probably because you'd rather not shoot a people who can actually shoot back.

If you were a nutjob looking to kill as many people as possible before most likely killing yourself, what target would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies