Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 17,067 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for sounding a bit stereotyped, but does the Republican Party support Gay Rights? President Bush for example is in large opposition in gay rights

What will Mccain do (likely republican candidate) for the Gay Rights issue? I think the Democrats are a little bit more intact with an issue like that. There is still a form of discrimination. Should Gay Marriage be legal everywhere in the U.S? Here is what I think.

if the Government does not want to call it 'marriage' then fine, allow civil unions with the exact same rights. Marriage originated as a religious institution which perceived women as property. Would we not rather have a new, tolerant institution based on equality? And if that means civil unions, so be it. Let the religious zealots keep the title 'marriage".

Last edited by Lyudi; 02-07-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
If you mean the rights of gays to marry each other, it's a split issue. Some say yes, some say no.

Really, I believe that the issue isn't a governmental one and should be left to the churches.
If Church A wants to marry gays, they should be able to. If Church B doesn't want to, they shouldn't be forced to do so under anti-discrimination laws.

The governments involvement in marriage should be limited to a purely secular role, ala Europe. It doesn't matter if you get married by a Baptist Minister, a Catholic Priest or some strange dude wearing robes and banging on a tambourine- that's between you and your god. The only thing the state is concerned about is that you sign on the dotted line, pay your fee, and register as a married couple for legal purposes.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
The Republican party is split on the issue of gay marriage as is the general population. I agree with civil unions.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyudi View Post
Forgive me for sounding a bit stereotyped, but does the Republican Party support Gay Rights? President Bush for example is in large opposition in gay rights, same with Dick Chaney.

What will Mccain do (likely republican candidate) for the Gay Rights issue? I think the Democrats are a little bit more intact with an issue like that. There is still a form of discrimination. Should Gay Marriage be legal everywhere in the U.S? Here is what I think.

if the Government does not want to call it 'marriage' then fine, allow civil unions with the exact same rights. Marriage originated as a religious institution which perceived women as property. Would we not rather have a new, tolerant institution based on equality? And if that means civil unions, so be it. Let the religious keep the title 'marriage".
You are incorrect about Dick Cheney:

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with. ... With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People ought to be able to free -- ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

Cheney breaks rank on same-sex marriage / Vice president refers to daughter as lesbian publicly for 1st time

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 17,067 times
Thanks for pointing it out, I have seen a speech that he said the opposite!! Thank you for clearing that up. (Rep points)

I do agree with the poster above. Religious affiliation should not come in to gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You are incorrect about Dick Cheney:

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with. ... With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People ought to be able to free -- ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

Cheney breaks rank on same-sex marriage / Vice president refers to daughter as lesbian publicly for 1st time

Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyudi View Post
Forgive me for sounding a bit stereotyped, but does the Republican Party support Gay Rights? President Bush for example is in large opposition in gay rights

if the Government does not want to call it 'marriage' then fine, allow civil unions with the exact same rights. Marriage originated as a religious institution which perceived women as property. Would we not rather have a new, tolerant institution based on equality? And if that means civil unions, so be it. Let the religious zealots keep the title 'marriage".
I consider myself a conservative, not so much a Republican. I am not for gay rights, but that's not to say that I'm against gay rights either. I think collectivism is a bad thing, and we should all be treated as humans rather than by dividing ourselves up into groups.

That said, marriage shouldn't be a concern of the government. If I wish to marry a person of the same sex, no one should have a say but myself and the other person. I should also be able to marry 5 people at once if that's what I really want to do.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
I don't really think it is the gov'ts right to tell people who they can and can't share benifits with, and who they can leave their inheritances with. The person works for their money and benefits not the gov't, so if they want to marry same sex they should be able to. By the way I'm a Republican, so I have some issues with my own party on this issue. I see it as an invasion of privacy.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
As long as the same 1,000 + federal rights (social security, etc) are confirmed on civil unions I have no problem with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
As long as the same 1,000 + federal rights (social security, etc) are confirmed on civil unions I have no problem with it.
I agree. They should be.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
As soon as polygamy is legal I will support gay marriage. Until then I don't support gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies