Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Answers

1. What is IQ?
2. Are you denying that there are physical differences between brains experiencing orgasms and brains not experiencing orgasms?
3. How does one "spot" brain processing speed?

We can do this all night...
You are a science denier. You have plenty of company. Just remember this moment if you are ever tempted to mock someone else for denying science - that you yourself are one of them, just on your own pet issues.

You can take 2 human brains from the morgue. 1 from someone who scores extremely high on IQ tests, and 1 from someone who scores average on IQ tests. A scientists who studies the brain can accurately point out which brain is which.

High IQ brains have noticeable physical differences than average IQ brains.

It may be hard to quantify exactly how much intelligence someone has or all of the ways intelligence can manifest itself, but surely intelligence is real - outside of a human construct. Does a human have more intelligence on the whole than a grasshopper? Or is this merely a fictional subjective human construct?

IQ is proven to be in good part inherited from DNA.

High IQ brains have physical differences than average IQ brains (from DNA in part).

You can deny this science all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are a science denier. You have plenty of company. Just remember this moment if you are ever tempted to mock someone else for denying science - that you yourself are one of them, just on your own pet issues.

You can take 2 human brains from the morgue. 1 from someone who scores extremely high on IQ tests, and 1 from someone who scores average on IQ tests. A scientists who studies the brain can accurately point out which brain is which.

High IQ brains have noticeable physical differences than average IQ brains.

It may be hard to quantify exactly how much intelligence someone has or all of the ways intelligence can manifest itself, but surely intelligence is real - outside of a human construct. Does a human have more intelligence on the whole than a grasshopper? Or is this merely a fictional subjective human construct?

IQ is proven to be in good part inherited from DNA.

High IQ brains have physical differences than average IQ brains (from DNA in part).

You can deny this science all you want.
One thing I have learned is never, ever, engage in debate with anyone who says race is a "social construct". As you see, it's a waste of time.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:33 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Environment also plays a part. Poor nutrition and rampant disease can stunt development in a person with perfect genetics. Once again look at the animal kingdom. A puppy born of excellent bloodlines can be stunted by environment and diet. Take a puppy born of parents from a crap puppy mill and they might not even survive the conditions that stunted the well bred pup.
I grew up on a farm, we raised high quality Holsteins. You knew who the dam was by the behavior of the offspring. If the sire was a problem animal a certain amount of the offspring inherited his disposition. Humans suffer from the same issues. The only difference is our ability to over ride our base instincts. We can reason.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Environment also plays a part. Poor nutrition and rampant disease can stunt development in a person with perfect genetics. Once again look at the animal kingdom. A puppy born of excellent bloodlines can be stunted by environment and diet. Take a puppy born of parents from a crap puppy mill and they might not even survive the conditions that stunted the well bred pup.
I grew up on a farm, we raised high quality Holsteins. You knew who the dam was by the behavior of the offspring. If the sire was a problem animal a certain amount of the offspring inherited his disposition. Humans suffer from the same issues. The only difference is our ability to over ride our base instincts. We can reason.
Yes.

IQ is determined by:
-Genetics
-Nutrition
-Whether or not you were exposed to violence as a child
-Culture

Many personality traits are now being found to be in part influenced by genetics too.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:38 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
1. Virtually all intelligence psychologists and experts in relevant fields have been in agreement that IQ is mostly genetic for at least 20-30 years. In fact, 52 university professors in the field signed "Mainstream Science on Intelligence" in 1994 to clarify some points about what the consensus was in response to the backlash The Bell Curve received. These points included IQ being mostly genetic, races displaying differences in IQ, IQ being mostly constant throughout life and IQ playing a very large role in success in life as measured by a variety of factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainst...n_Intelligence

2. I'm a liberal, yet I absolutely believe that there are differences in IQ among races. That is a scientific fact, and I don't believe political persuasions should take a stance on science that isn't a reflection of actual science. In other words, IQ varying among races is an empirical question; as a liberal, I believe a lot of things, but liberalism doesn't entail empirical facts. Empirical facts are what they are. My liberalism may entail certain goals in light of those facts, but the facts remain.

3. Race may be a social construct, but whatever we have constructed really does correlate with differences in IQ.

4. Whatever IQ measures, and I do believe it measures intelligence quite well, has a strong effect on things like income and educational attainment in life. IQ is the single greatest predictor of future income.

5. IQ is probably set by around age 8. When someone says nutrition or environment play a role, this is mostly true for fetal development and nutrition at very young ages. It doesn't mean an adult can eat a healthier diet to raise his or her IQ.

6. All sorts of social commentators and influencers would do well to recognize that IQ disparity is a real thing and has real social ramifications. I'm a liberal, but I believe the single best explanation for why white folks make more money than black folks on average is the IQ disparity.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
One thing I have learned is never, ever, engage in debate with anyone who says race is a "social construct". As you see, it's a waste of time.
You disagree with Linnaeus?

Oh my.

And I'm the science denier???

Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You disagree with Linnaeus?

Oh my.

And I'm the science denier???
Race may be a social construct, but whatever we have constructed really does correlate with differences in IQ.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
I think genetics are the hardware and experience is the software. It's an AND relationship to get the desired result.

I can speak as a brother of a disabled sister, that no matter how hard educators have tried to teach her math concepts beyond the route memorizable ones, she just does not get abstract math concepts. It's not an educational flaw or a flaw in being able to relate, it's simply a hardware issue.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Race may be a social construct, but whatever we have constructed really does correlate with differences in IQ.
I never disagreed with it.

I just have no idea why it is important or what it means.

People who are "night owls" have higher IQs than "morning people".

Blue-eyed folks have an IQ advantage over others.

Higher IQ people are more likely to be alcoholics and use drugs.

All these things have one thing in common: the knowledge of it and a dime can get you a phone call (if it was 1981).

Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I found this interesting read as a link off of real clear politics' website.

The explosive science of genetics - The Globe and Mail

Essentially, science is showing more and more that genetics accounts for a lot of who we are.

Much of our personality is even genetic based. Many disorders were once blamed on poor parenting are now linked to genetics.

Even our IQ is largely determined by our genes. Intelligence is linked to important life outcomes like happiness, health, educational attainment, occupational success, successful marriage, etc...

This article claims that much of the social sciences has a credibility crisis, as it ignores the growing scientific evidence that genetics plays a large role in so much of a person.

Read the article, what do you all think?

I suggest you get a copy of the movie GATTACA to see the use of Genetic Engineering to correct our genetic abnormalities and the ability to read ones future health (both mental and physical) could become the difference of being a valued member f society and all the opportunities that might open or being a member of the less than perfect underclass bared from medical treatment and careers that require expensive education and training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies