Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:40 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

I've heard some people say that it is no longer needed. I've heard some people say that it is discriminatory in regard to many people would be upset with a comparable white history month. Some people say it is taught year round and there is no need for a single month...or that having a month divides us.

I would argue that black history month still has a place. It should be taught in a positive and uplifting way.

Black History Month was originally Black History Week. It was created by an African-American historian Dr. Woodson in the 1920s. He picked as the 2nd week of February due to the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Take Frederick Douglass, born a slave in poverty. Never knowing for sure who his father was, many told him it was his white slave master. Never truly knowing his mother as his mother was sent away from him at age 1. Yet he taught himself, tried to escape, failed, tried again...succeeded. Became the first black to graduate from Harvard. Met with Lincoln, debated Lincoln, disagreed with Lincoln, befriended Lincoln... He worked hard. Got help from people all over including whites. He became a true success story up from poverty to high success. His son fought in the famous 54th Massachusetts.

https://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Dougl..._Narrative.pdf

If taught right, these are powerful stories of the past, stories of perseverance, hard work, unifying, and the wrongs of the past so as not to be repeated today. Students of all races can learn the true American story with this month.

What do you guys say?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I've heard some people say that it is no longer needed. I've heard some people say that it is discriminatory in regard to many people would be upset with a comparable white history month. Some people say it is taught year round and there is no need for a single month...or that having a month divides us.

I would argue that black history month still has a place. It should be taught in a positive and uplifting way.

Black History Month was originally Black History Week. It was created by an African-American historian Dr. Woodson in the 1920s. He picked as the 2nd week of February due to the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Take Frederick Douglass, born a slave in poverty. Never knowing for sure who his father was, many told him it was his white slave master. Never truly knowing his mother as his mother was sent away from him at age 1. Yet he taught himself, tried to escape, failed, tried again...succeeded. Became the first black to graduate from Harvard. Met with Lincoln, debated Lincoln, disagreed with Lincoln, befriended Lincoln... He worked hard. Got help from people all over including whites. He became a true success story up from poverty to high success. His son fought in the famous 54th Massachusetts.

https://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Dougl..._Narrative.pdf

If taught right, these are powerful stories of the past, stories of perseverance, hard work, unifying, and the wrongs of the past so as not to be repeated today. Students of all races can learn the true American story with this month.

What do you guys say?
I agree. Blacks have played an enormous part in the development of culture in the US, particularly where I'm from. There are many aspects of black culture that define my region, and I personally wouldn't want to do without. Namely, food, music, and speech pattern. Black culture mixed with white culture is responsible for the blues, jazz, bluegrass, country music, and rock and roll. I have no problem with focusing on this for a month.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
These days everyone has a history/heritage month and there's plenty to learn from the experiences of different groups. Although maybe not needed, I believe they are positive.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
No one has looked at a current US History book or literature anthology used in English classes? In both Black history has been infused throughout the curriculum, throughout the course year.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No one has looked at a current US History book or literature anthology used in English classes? In both Black history has been infused throughout the curriculum, throughout the course year.
Not in a decade, but I still don't have a problem with focusing on the contributions of certain groups from time to time.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Not in a decade, but I still don't have a problem with focusing on the contributions of certain groups from time to time.

Which is done now, primarily Black and/or Hispanic contributions to the Arts/History/Literature/Science, throughout the school year.

The problem begins with Black History Month when school systems mandate that the regular curriculum be dropped for the entire month of February. That becomes critical with the current testing environment.

As a note, the last US History text I used before I retired spent almost as much time on the Japanese internment in California as it did with the rest of WW II.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:08 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
The achievements of blacks and every other group should be studied based on merit, not the color of the person who made such achievement.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Ethnic history should be taught within the family, private school and social groups, not in public schools or govt institutions.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
I have no issue with black history month. I only care when it is used as a political statement or if less than factual history is taught. Blacks have contributed to our nation. Many are genuine war heroes and many were and are great scholars. There is no need to exaggerate, embellish or inflate the actual history.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
if only it were more on the positive side and less on the negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies