Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,794,444 times

Advertisements

I found these on another site and I really agree here. I would like to get thoughts from both liberal and conservative perspectives?

1. The Bible can be used to support just about any reasonable political opinion. It is neither conservative nor liberal.

2. If you are going to be taken seriously in politics, you can't use "because the Bible says so" as the only rationale for any policy. You can use it as one reason, but if it is your only one it will never fly in our country. We don't live in a theocracy, so you have to have practical reasons behind policy proposals.

In terms of today's most controversial issues, I think abortion is a legitimate debate because there are practical reasons, beyond "the Bible says so" to oppose it. The same argument cannot be made for same-sex marriage, which is opposed for religious reasons only. Same with other social issues like marijuana. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 AM

5,300 posts, read 2,349,787 times
Yes, I'd agree with those. Not sure I'd agree that the social issues you mentioned are the most controversial, but I agree with your point.

This is actually the thing that lead me to libertarianism when I first got interested in politics. My family was religious, but I came to the conclusion on my own that just because I'm against something for personal reasons doesn't make it okay to force on others by way of the state.

I'm not religious as I was at the time, so I kind of appreciate that past-me was that objective.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,714,625 times
I concur with those points.

Here in the US, you're gonna need more than a bible quote to justify a law. Even many christians agree.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,552,280 times
Right.

I argue this point with my church family all the time.

I think abortion is abhorrently immoral, but I would never consider reversing that law.

The gay marriage thing, while many Christians have a hard time articulating it, goes back to the idea of marriage being a holy thing ordained by God. There are many analogous lines of thought throughout the Bible concerning Jesus and the Church "His bride" and how a loving, respectful holy marriage should be lived out on Earth. So, although it sounds superficial to some, many Christians have a problem with the TERM marriage (ie redefining marriage) being applied to what is thought to be a less traditional marriage.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:40 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,078,716 times
Religion and politics by themselves are fine. But mixed together make for a particularly nasty brew.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM

674 posts, read 610,147 times
Very good points.

Yeah, there really isn't a good argument against gay marriage outside of strict religious prohibitions, and even those ignore the fact that people have been getting married outside of Christian society for millennia. Yes, marriage is a Christian sacrament, but that's not all that it is. It's also a part of human culture all over the world. Christians shouldn't get to make the rules for everyone else.

Abortion is something that many religious people feel strongly about, but the debate itself isn't inherently religious. The biblical references in abortion debates are just edicts about murder. The real question is whether or not abortion is murder or which abortions could be considered murder. It's probably a trickier question than either side wants to admit, and both sides seem to want to attribute malicious motives to the other, which helps no one.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,977,379 times
The reason for Roe vs. Wade was to stop the deaths of women who were getting illegal, backstreet abortions...they were dying horrible deaths. The mothers were, in essence, being murdered and the legalization of abortion was to stop those deaths and to give women who were hell-bent on getting an abortion a safe way to do so. Because, if you really, really want one, a law won't stop you.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:59 PM

68,308 posts, read 54,290,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Religion and politics by themselves are fine. But mixed together make for a particularly nasty brew.
I agree. IMO, those who place their religion ahead of their country are better suited to the clergy than the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies