Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times

Advertisements

I am wondering isn't San Diego county traditionally conservative as a large portion of it is military. I heard Military communities usually lean to the conservative side. Thats true for most of history of San Diego county which has been known for very conservative cities as with Orange County that until the recent years. As during the last election or the last two elections I noticed that at least nine cities now have Democrat majority council makeups according to SDdemocrats.com Though in Orange county the conservative stronghold still remains in terms of city governments and a number of cities such as Irvine and Huntington Beach voted out their Democrat Majorities.
There is one city which is Oceanside that does not officially have a democrat majority but has a very liberal non democrat mayor Jim Wood that works with two democrats to help Oceanside move towards and adopt progressive policies similar to that of coastal LA and Bay Area. I am very shocked as Oceanside used to be very conservative as they are the gateway to Camp Pendleton.

I wonder whats causing conservatives to loose control of San Diego county even though they manage to stay in control in Orange County. I wonder has the military lost influence in local elections? Will San Diego City and County become another San Francisco Bay Area in the near future. Where pot and weed is encouraged but every other choice will be banned or limited in the name of protecting a certain "protected class."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
Because San Diego is a suburb of Tijuana and half the population is on the dole.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Poor air quality?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
They're coming to the realization that right-wing conservatism is a disastrous ideology on every conceivable level?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
They're coming to the realization that right-wing conservatism is a disastrous ideology on every conceivable level?
Yeah, getting free stuff from other people is always better.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yeah, getting free stuff from other people is always better.

Right-wingers think they'll get into heaven if they lower the corporate tax to 0%.

There are two types of Republicans--millionaires and suckers.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
San Diego is a big city -- population 1.3 million. San Diego County has 3.3 million inhabitants.

The central part of every big city in the U.S. is liberal and has been so for a long time. That includes San Diego.

San Diego suburbs in the north and east are still pretty conservative.

And of course, California as a whole has turned blue -- mainly because...

1) The wealthy elites on both the east and west coast have become very liberal.

They don't get heavily taxed anymore by the federal government -- the government just goes further and further into debt.

So being "compassionate" doesn't cost them anything.

And they want to be hip, young and "with it."

That doesn't really fit the stereotypical image of conservatives.

2) California has by far the biggest legal and illegal immigrant population in the country. The legal immigrants, mostly Latino, vote for Democrats.

3) California has liberal welfare policies. People on welfare aren't going to vote for Republicans.

Numbers 2 and 3 cost a lot of money, so California is no longer keeping up its infrastructure.

Roads in San Diego, for example, are full of pot holes. Water pipes are old and should have been replaced a long time ago.

The other way San Diego (and the state of California) gets money is through some of the highest sales and property taxes in the country.

That isn't enough to pay for needed improvements, however.

So cities like San Diego encourage endless development of expensive housing in order to get more property taxes.

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the needed infrastructure and services for the added population.

And so it goes -- America on its way to being a Third World Country with a few "haves" and many "have-nots."

Old 02-03-2016, 01:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers think they'll get into heaven if they lower the corporate tax to 0%.

There are two types of Republicans--millionaires and suckers.
I especially feel bad for those Republicans who thought going to war with Iraq was worth it. I guess spending trillions to put ISIS into power was a great idea.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

The other way San Diego (and the state of California) gets money is through some of the highest sales and property taxes in the country.
California's property taxes are much lower than most other states, including many red states. Unlike every other tax in California, which is sky high.

If California had high property taxes with low taxation otherwise it would be in much better shape and housing would be more reasonable.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I especially feel bad for those Republicans who thought going to war with Iraq was worth it. I guess spending trillions to put ISIS into power was a great idea.
Good point, I am guessing more and more military families these days are realizing that supporting Republican just means more and more of their men be sent to horrific war situations in the middle east that benefits no one except for certain groups that benefits from a permanent war economy and not to mention big oil. Thats probably why more and more of such families are voting democrat instead and turning San Diego County blue. Though I wonder what does this have to do with electing who runs the cities we live in? As city councils would never send anyone to war nor decide foreign policies unlike the president or senators. I personally prefer city council to lean somewhat toward the conservative side, not necessarily republican though, just a more of a live and let live way of policy making, and focus on issues the residents really want to focus not let outside interests decide "we know whats best for you" ordinances to control the people against their will while ignoring crumbling infrastructure and many social issues on the streets.
Thats what I like about SoCal as even nowadays we can still find quite a number of cities or towns doesn't embrace a "nanny city" mentality as those Bay Area or coastal LA while neglecting real issues, but focus on running the city and serving their residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies