Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
So... In the beginning we had only white christian males in good paying positions in USA. So how come Jews and Asians also got into those places in large numbers? They did not have any AA, positive quotes, etc.
Can you please explain?
you keep making this a race issue....the Asians are a very curious hard working people....they work very very hard to obtain the smallest accomplishment and then move onto the next.
I have an asian friend who came to this country all by herself...she worked to learn the language, she got a job, went thru the chains of command to become a citizen...put herself thru college, and works a very intellectual position today....need I say more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In 1997, Texas passed a bill that guarantees every student who finishes in the top 10 percent of their high school class admission to one of the state's flagship campuses (e.g. UT-Austin and Texas A&M), no matter what their SAT scores, extra-curriculars, or ethnicity might be.

Why not try that instead.
This has been a really big problem. The top 10% in one school might not make the top 40% in another school. So some of the best qualified students don't get in.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you keep making this a race issue....the Asians are a very curious hard working people....they work very very hard to obtain the smallest accomplishment and then move onto the next.
I have an asian friend who came to this country all by herself...she worked to learn the language, she got a job, went thru the chains of command to become a citizen...put herself thru college, and works a very intellectual position today....need I say more?
Yeah, you do. A lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This has been a really big problem. The top 10% in one school might not make the top 40% in another school. So some of the best qualified students don't get in.
So. No college can take in every qualified student.

That's life. Apply to other schools. All high achieving students will get into a good school. There's no inherent right to get into the one of your choice

That's why schools have admissions departments...to be discriminatory.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM

I now know of two police departments, that need to hire minorites to make their quota....so that they can be diverse...
One of them had to drop the written test b/c minorities cannot seem to pass that test.....

The other extended their drug question....from 3 years to 5 years...

How is that fair, and how is that fair to all the officers who did manage to pass their tests and who didn't do drugs within the past 3 years.....

that to me is so wrong......so wrong

Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
desertdetroiter Yeah, you do. A lot more.
Like what? I know minorities who have very good jobs, b/c they worked very hard for those jobs...
and then there are a whole lot who don't....everything has to be given to them and that is wrong.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, you do. A lot more.

So. No college can take in every qualified student.

That's life. Apply to other schools. All high achieving students will get into a good school. There's no inherent right to get into the one of your choice

That's why schools have admissions departments...to be discriminatory.
Nobody said anything about a right of admission. We're talking about fairness.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I now know of two police departments, that need to hire minorites to make their quota....so that they can be diverse...
One of them had to drop the written test b/c minorities cannot seem to pass that test.....

The other extended their drug question....from 3 years to 5 years...

How is that fair, and how is that fair to all the officers who did manage to pass their tests and who didn't do drugs within the past 3 years.....

that to me is so wrong......so wrong
Yeah, well seeing as how I've seen no evidence that white cops are any better than non white cops, I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Like what? I know minorities who have very good jobs, b/c they worked very hard for those jobs...
and then there are a whole lot who don't....everything has to be given to them and that is wrong.
Everyone gets what they have coming to them.

As I said in another post, I wasn't the best qualified candidate for my present job either if you're going by experience and skill level. My old colleague was far more worthy.

But that's not what they went by. I was better connected to the folks doing the hiring. Millions of whites (and non whites) have obtained jobs this way...should they feel guilty about it?

No. And neither do I. The best qualified is whomever the hell they want to hire at the time.

If they want more blacks, women, Asians, or Hispanics, then they're the best qualified.

That's all.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nobody said anything about a right of admission. We're talking about fairness.
What fairness?

We're talking about college admissions. They have a right to select the composition of their student bodies based on a set of criteria established by whomever.

In this case, it's the state. The standard is as fair as it can possibly be. High achievers shouldn't be put at an admissions disadvantage just because they come from a poorer school district. They may not score as high as the kids on standardized tests as wealthier kids from better schools, but that's not their fault.

So they may have a lower SAT score. Big deal. Colleges look at more than scores. If you only admit kids based on scores, then you don't need an admissions department. If you're taking in 5000 kids for example, then take the top 5000 scores and be done with it. For that, all you'd need is a computer.

That's asinine. ...which is why it's not done that way. There HAS to be some discriminatory practices to get the class to a hard number. And Florida seems to have found a middle ground.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
desertdetroiter Yeah, well seeing as how I've seen no evidence that white cops are any better than non white cops, I wouldn't worry about it.
that isn't the issue....the issue is, the cops that are in there now, both black and white worked hard to get there, and now they're giving minorities a free pass...that is so wrong. So very wrong.

Everyone gets what they have coming to them.

As I said in another post, I wasn't the best qualified candidate for my present job either if you're going by experience and skill level. My old colleague was far more worthy.

But that's not what they went by. I was better connected to the folks doing the hiring. Millions of whites (and non whites) have obtained jobs this way...should they feel guilty about it?

No. And neither do I. The best qualified is whomever the hell they want to hire at the time.

If they want more blacks, women, Asians, or Hispanics, then they're the best qualified.

That's all

I can see you know it all, no use in going any further with this...I'm sorry

Old 02-07-2016, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Forced diversity by cherry picking is racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies