Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times

Advertisements

Nationalism is oftentimes demonized in the media, however while many suspect is to be just a form of hatred and bigotry, it is a motivated by the unconditional love to one's country and as such were involved in many liberation movements throughout history.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Nationalism is oftentimes demonized in the media, however while many suspect is to be just a form of hatred and bigotry, it is a motivated by the unconditional love to one's country and as such were involved in many liberation movements throughout history.

What do you think?
I am liberal and am a nationalist. I love America and how it was founded and what it was meant to be. What I despise is the right-wing form of nationalism that doesn't include ALL Americans but only those of the right ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation. The flag us something ALL of us should rally around.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88x_rmeLPO4

Love this song. I love this country and what it stands for and hope that one day, we will be able each other as all true Americans regardless of what we look like, what God we believe in, or who we love.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Nationalism is generally fine. What some are trying to defend as being nationalistic is actually jingoism, which is a lot less positive.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If the purpose of any organization of people is to better secure endowed (sacred) rights from attack, then it is not a bad thing. At the highest level, defensive nationalism is never bad - except to those predators who seek to prey without risk.

A nation of people who share a common language and customs, can better cooperate in the defense of person or property from attack.

A nation of people who cannot communicate and have different customs, will not cooperate.

For the predators, the latter is preferred over the former. A nation divided into unintelligible factions is doomed to collapse.

One language = one nation united.
Many languages = dissolution and destruction.

It has happened many times before. And will happen again, in America, if the people allow it.

Reference :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto
Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies."
- - - L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to N. Borovko, ca. 1895

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Inclusive nationalism is a political agenda that neither the left nor the right is capable of espousing. The left lacks the will to nationalism; the right lacks the will to inclusion. But it is an ideal agenda for the political centre.

Nationalism is good. Aggressive nationalism is bad. The second World War happened because of aggressive nationalism. There is a thin line that one has to identify.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 PM

285 posts, read 176,808 times
Patriotism is preferable.

Quote:
Sydney J. Harris (1953)
The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:

What do you think?
IMHO, yes, nationalism IS a bad thing, at least once it's past a certain level. I'm grateful to live in a first-world country, and I like a lot of what the US was founded upon. However, there are also things I don't like (mainly militarism, imperialism, and consumerism). I am not particularly proud to be an American because becoming one was just a matter of winning the birth lottery and quite frankly I vehemently disagree with a lot of what the country is doing. Excessive nationalism tends to have us believe we're always number one and makes us blind to our country's faults.

Most importantly, it creates a sense of division. Instead of loving America and Americans, why not love the world and human beings?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Nope, strike the right balance and everyone is happy. Let politicians that are bought by big business run the show and your a 3rd world country by the end of Obama's term.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Anybody opposing nationalism should go to the World Cup games. All the different fans waving their flags and loving their countries is a sight to behold. Folks really should get out more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies