Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 PM

677 posts, read 653,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm almost never in favor of physical discipline, but that little twirp ought to be taken "out to the woodshed" and be taught a lifelong lesson or two. I can't remember a more obnoxious slime ball in public life in a very long time. One way or another I feel he is destined to be taught a few of those lessons.
I hope you are a democrat. Because all this douche is, is a perfect expression of what you get in an unrestrained Ayn-Rand Republican "utopia" of corporate oligarch that we live in and have operated in the last 40 years. More than Gordon Gecko he exemplifies the end product of our greed driven bullsh*t system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

903 posts, read 583,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
"Embattled drug entrepreneur Martin Shkreli — who vigorously defended his decision to hike the price of a life-saving drug from $13.50 to $750
It is not illegal to profit, but if a drug was profitable at $13.50 and you raise the price just because you can, I believe your morals can be questioned.

However, people must realize that it an cost Billions of dollars to work on new drugs and that is with no guarantee that it will be profitable.

If there were no incentive for profit, then why would any company put billions at risk?!?
Forbes Welcome

As the people we could decide to socialize medicine and take the profit out of it. Are we willing to risk billions on research that may not pan out? This is why it is privatized. Of course our Gov't waists billions on other things, but I don't think putting the Gov't in charge of everything would net a better effect.

cd :O)

Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
He's being charged for different reason.

Personally I would make a fool out of those lawmakers questioning me.
I think lawmakers have a real nerve questioning anyones integrity!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
It is not illegal to profit, but if a drug was profitable at $13.50 and you raise the price just because you can, I believe your morals can be questioned.

However, people must realize that it an cost Billions of dollars to work on new drugs and that is with no guarantee that it will be profitable.

If there were no incentive for profit, then why would any company put billions at risk?!?

In this particular case, this drug was not newly created. It has been around for 62 years. He bought it and raised the price for profit only. If drug companies would take all of the money they throw away on TV advertising and purchasing politicians and invest in R& D they would have plenty of profit left over.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=i

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212

That is $3,146,090,212 that is coming out of consumers pockets to purchase politicians

Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Again, talk to the drug companies please. They ALL artificially inflate their prices. For that matter, ALL non-charity businesses, I do mean ALL, artificially inflate their prices.

What do you mean "legitimately priced? Was his drug not legitimately priced? What law did he break for pricing his drug, asking this again?
No one is claiming he is breaking the law relative to pricing and I would never say this is the only example but it is certainly blatant. Some people attempted to explain away an increase from $13.50 to $750, I don't see how that was suddenly necessary although that was his initial tack and some people backed him.

I am sure there are others but this sure seemed very clear and one of the most blatant. This just might raise a discussions in the election and branch out to a serious debate on our health care system in general. Right now health care eats an excessive amount of our GDP compared to other developed countries, it needs to be addressed.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
He appears to be a jerk but
"In Turing's defense, Retzclaff said that two-thirds of patients receive Daraprim at a steep discount through government programs, and that the company funds an assistance program for uninsured, low-income patients."
Martin Shkreli Grins, Has No Comment At Hearing On Drug Prices : The Two-Way : NPR

Also I believe he paid over $50,000,000 for the rights to the drug.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I found the fact that his prior defense attorney raised his fees 5000% very appropriate and fitting justice.

Maybe that wasn't enough.

"Minutes after Shkreli’s arrest on charges of securities fraud, the attorney, Harland Dorrinson, announced that he was hiking his fees from twelve hundred dollars an hour to sixty thousand dollars.

Shkreli, who reportedly received the news about the price hike while he was being fingerprinted, cried foul and accused his attorney of “outrageous and inhumane price gouging.”
“This is the behavior of a sociopath,” Shkreli was heard screaming."

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent - The New Yorker
I can't believe I'm about to say this: I would like that lawyer....if only it were true.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
According to USA Today, his attorney Ben Bratman stated in the press conference that judging from his facial expressions he felt that his client was "just nervous." Looking at those pictures he doesn't look nervous to me.
Lawyers say the stupidest stuff. I'm sure he's collecting a very nice check for saying stupid stuff.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
I suspect that a lot of people would prefer that the scumbag be in China, where he'd be offered a cigarette and blindfold to toy with prior to being dispatched. But look on the positive side, at least Shkreli has rubbed the Congressional corporate stooges noses in their own for-profit health care system.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
If everyone in this country put as much effort in to going after drug companies, and...well, anything else related to our health care for price gouging as they do this guy, we would never have had a "need" (I use the term loosely), for the ACA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies