Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:58 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,975,890 times

Advertisements

"Prioritized" black:

"Although participation will be open to all students, those who identify as black or mixed-race [colored?] will be prioritized in selection. Twelve students have already expressed interest in the program."

http://www.boston.com/news/education/2016/02/03/uconn-creates-new-living-space-for-black-male-students/dyRqRC0kXc93kAodQBT9CI/story.html

Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 948,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Prioritized" black:

"Although participation will be open to all students, those who identify as black or mixed-race [colored?] will be prioritized in selection. Twelve students have already expressed interest in the program."

UConn creates new living space for black male students - Education - Boston.com
That's crazy. Isn't that a form of segregation?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
That's crazy. Isn't that a form of segregation?

Seriously, It's sad though. King's efforts 50-60 years ago, all for them to come right down like this.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-07-2016 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-06-2016, 09:57 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Prioritized" black:

UConn creates new living space for black male students - Education - Boston.com
Bad idea.

When you start treating people of different races differently, it tends to extend to other facets of life.

There should not be a black, white, asian, or hispanic dorm.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bad idea.

When you start treating people of different races differently, it tends to extend to other facets of life.

There should not be a black, white, asian, or hispanic dorm.
I understand the argument you are trying to make, but the reality is that 55% of Black males graduate within 6 years compared to 80% of white males and the university is trying to figure out why this is.

My guess is the wealth gap is part of the reason, people who have to pay their way through college, but need to live there as well.

My college had a curfew of 10 P.M. there is no way I could have worked through school and lived on campus as there were nights that I didnt get off until 11:30 or 12:30 . The dorm doors would have been locked and I would have been stuck sleeping in my car and probably missing classes and be forced to drop classes, delaying graduation, or quitting my job to stay focused, and not being able to pay for the classes/books I was taking.

maybe this door is one with no curfew. ( side note : curfews are stupid, my last night class ended at 9:45, if I had lived on campus and had to walk from the Science Building to the dorms, i would have likely been locked out on multiple occasions.)

There is also the possibility, as the article says that individuals simply didnt feel connected to the University. I had that same problem. Fortunately, I went to school close to home and knew a lot of people regardless, so while I wasnt entrenched in School activities, I was still able to interact with the student body itself. Imagine some kid 200 miles away from home, not knowing anyone at all. that would be tough.

Last but not least, the article does say it is open to all students.

I would simply ask, what solution would you propose instead of the one mentioned in the article ?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
So only black males don't feel connected to their university, and only black males have a wealth gap? Because the article also stated:

Quote:
But what about black females? The university said they graduate at a much higher rate than black males...
This is segregation. If they want to figure out why black males graduate at a slower rate than white males, there are other ways to do it besides segregating them.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Tribesman View Post
I'd like to know the GPA's of these graduates. I expect to see them begin with a two. When they can't get a job they will scream racism.
I would like to know the average SAT scores of the white students versus the black students. MY guess is the average black student is dumber which explains the difference in graduation rates.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So only black males don't feel connected to their university, and only black males have a wealth gap? Because the article also stated:

This is segregation. If they want to figure out why black males graduate at a slower rate than white males, there are other ways to do it besides segregating them.
Of the major racial groups blacks are the only group where females dominate the higher IQ bracket.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I would simply ask, what solution would you propose instead of the one mentioned in the article ?
There is no explanation in the article of how a racially separate dorm could improve black graduation rates, even in theory. It makes no sense whatsoever. And the idea that it would lessen students' feelings of detachment from the university is laughable. If anything it would increase their sense of being apart from the mainstream of university life. And I'm sure this is the actual goal of the organizers - to promote racial consciousness in these kids, instill grievance, resentment and hostility, and make sure they are motivated for the next round of protests, demands and hate hoaxes.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
When I think of this honestly....I wouldn't want to live in a dorm that was 85/90% black - so I guess I can't fault them for feeling the same way.

Though what's sad, for the first time in my life, really since the whole treyvon Martin thing, I am beginning to think in terms of us / them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.