Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 12:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

Anti-Islam groups rally across Europe; clashes in Amsterdam - US News

Video at the bottom @ around 40 seconds shows someone carrying a large confederate flag. But in EUROPE?

I think this flag is being adopted for anti government. I have seen the confederate flag more in Northern New England than I have in a year of living in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:20 PM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I think this flag means different things to different people.

My friend and his combat buddies fly confederate flag in in Afghanistan. I have a photo of them, this has been one of my favorite photo. To them, and to me, IN THIS PARTICULAR situation, means southern fighters and spirit. Nothing more, nothing less.

This being said, I know some Italians in the south view the flag as a sign of rebellion around the time they were absorbed into the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. It used to be a rich and independent country,folks came from the North and conquered them and took their wealth and power away to Rome.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

My friend and his combat buddies fly confederate flag in in Afghanistan. I have a photo of them, this has been one of my favorite photo. To them, and to me, IN THIS PARTICULAR situation, means southern fighters and spirit. Nothing more, nothing less.

This being said, I know some Italians in the south view the flag as a sign of rebellion around the time they were absorbed into the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. It used to be a rich and independent country,folks came from the North and conquered them and took their wealth and power away to Rome.
Do you mean all southern Italians or Sicilians in particular?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:39 PM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-towner View Post
do you mean all southern italians or sicilians in particular?
some

Old 02-06-2016, 02:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Interesting. It has definitely taken on a rebellion meaning.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Probably a plant to make these people look "racist." I think Europe's political leaders are afraid of all out civil war at this point. I am very pleased to see the people of Europe coming together and saying "no" to being conquered.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
The Confederate battle flag (also known as the Rebel flag) is often used as a symbol of rebellion in the U.S., which is why we see as many Rebel flags as we do in states such as Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, which harbored few pro-Confederate sentiments and were barely involved in the war at all. This usage of the flag for rebellion has been stimulated recently after last summer's officially-sanctioned iconoclasm against the flag*.

If it isn't a plant designed to make them look racist, that's probably what's going on.

*We should keep in mind that the flag in particular and Southern symbols in general were the target, not racists or acts of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies