Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:56 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Good for you, but your experience might not be the same as others, present, past or future.
Moreover, do you really think you have the right to impose military duty on your fellow
sister ? Isn't that anti-feminist ?
Women are not going to be required to register for the draft.
They would certainly resist such an infringement on their personal liberties.
But it's all right to impose military duty on our brothers?

The Israelis have required mandatory service from both men and women since the beginning of their nation IIRC.

My guess is that if everybody's sons and daughters, including those of the rich, powerful, and famous, faced the prospect of having to go fight in wars, there'd be a lot less sabre-rattling military adventurism among Right Wing political candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Problem that seems to be missed by quite a few is that the draft doesn't draft for non combat positions.

When a draft is instituted it is done to replenish combat troops.

Women already have the opportunity to volunteer and serve in non-combat roles.

Draftees not so much.
Actually, the draft is for all army personnel. My father spent WW II in Hawaii chauffeuring officers around Oahu and giving road tests. BTW, women are now eligible for combat roles.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Yes, just out of sheer spite. You want equality, you get equality and you take it like a true champ. Everything you want, everything.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I don't understand why this is an issue. Men have to sign up. They are now just saying all must sign up. Either take away the requirement for all or add women. I see that as the only 2 real options to consider. The draft hasn't been used in a very long time and hopefully never again so i fail to see what the concern is.

to your points, i'll
a. These women have a chance, and a right to join, IF THEY WANT TO. In this case, we are talking about women who CHOSE not to join. So, the gov't is going to FORCE them to join. Some additional problems...
Same thing for men. I have the chance to join but i don't WANT to. Why should I be forced to go just because I am a man?

Because sometimes your Uncle Sam gets us involved in things that enough people simply won't volunteer for. Why should only men be forced to go when there are so many jobs that can be done equally as well if not better by women?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
This is one issue i am going to stick my mead in a hole over. There must have been some error on how the idea of equal rights in general has been understood, yet this alone does not change who we are. In no other cases has it mandated we change who we are, only what civil rights we are entitled.

Mow let me stick my head in that hole, not to argue my case, as it has long since past; now this concerns those more than two full generations for me, and being such, my input would be dated, unless drafted form a source outside myself, and foreign to my understanding.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 PM

520 posts, read 731,060 times
If they don't eliminate the draft for men, than women should be required to sign up for it too. I don't want to ever join the military and because I take anti-depressants I'm not allowed to join anyways, but I still had to sign a selective service card. Why is that fair to me, that I had to sign up despite having a mental health problems? We haven't had a draft in over 40 years anyways, and it would be very hard to implement because a lot of draft age people would probably refuse.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
If they don't eliminate the draft for men, than women should be required to sign up for it too. I don't want to ever join the military and because I take anti-depressants I'm not allowed to join anyways, but I still had to sign a selective service card. Why is that fair to me, that I had to sign up despite having a mental health problems? We haven't had a draft in over 40 years anyways, and it would be very hard to implement because a lot of draft age people would probably refuse.

More importantly it would likely be political suicide for anyone voting for it and I don't think any of that group wants to lose their cushy little jobs.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 AM

783 posts, read 695,411 times
You know what this is awesome!

We have been treating men like complete dog**** for so long. We need to start treating women like complete dog****! Men shouldn't be the only ones dying in the Middle East for oil. Women need to go die for me in the Middle East for oil!

Just because women don't have the physical strength it doesn't matter. I'm tired of hearing these arguments. I'm tired of only seeing homeless vets with PTSD be males. I want to see homeless females on the streets with PTSD! Why is it only male oppression that we tolerate? We need more female oppression! I love equality!!!

I'm leading a REVOLUTION! Who's with me!!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If a draft ever happened the women suddenly would be getting pregnant in droves.
Probably true. The replies that I am reading show how out of touch people really are. Bottom line is that the draft is an emergency type of situation. You take the best available. To randomly select women while able bodies men stay home is counter - productive, IMO.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The same way I feel about men being forced to sign up for the military.

An all volunteer armed forces protect a free society, should always be the case.
It is an all volunteer armed forces. The selective service is an emergency backup plan. There is no benefit to the country to force women to sign up for selective service. Women who want to serve can sign up on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies