Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think should be legal?
Drugs 41 68.33%
Gambling 49 81.67%
Prostitution 45 75.00%
None of them 7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,714,823 times

Advertisements

I voted for all.

I would gamble, as I do now...but wouldn't try drugs or prostitution.
Well, if you meet a young lady and go on a date and pay for her meal, drinks, flowers and a hotel, isnt is almost the same? Yes, yes it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,438,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let's see now...we have a negative savings rate, record amounts of folks behind on child care payments, folks complaining they can't keep up with inflation, can't afford gas, are being worked to death, won't be able to retire, can't afford health insurance and are being taxed to death...but they have money for prostitutes, gambling and drugs.

Perspectives are pretty funny when you connect the dots.
no one said people are smart

if we wanted to prevent them from wasting money, we could

do away with all sports teams
any car that gets less than 40mpg
all shoes costing more than 10 bucks
all premium cable channels
any store that doesnt start with the word Wal-
etc...

people will always waste their money. no way of stopping that...

Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,438,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I voted for all.

I would gamble, as I do now...but wouldn't try drugs or prostitution.
Well, if you meet a young lady and go on a date and pay for her meal, drinks, flowers and a hotel, isnt is almost the same? Yes, yes it is.
yes, but the outcome isnt guaranteed!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Yeah they should make dating illegal and make sex for money legal...lol

Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,164,548 times
The drug policy adopted by the Netherlands has reduced trouble rather than created more.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
The drug policy adopted by the Netherlands has reduced trouble rather than created more.
Which is what? I am not familiar with it.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,690,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Your argument is very weak. Drugs are already in every last town in this Nation whether you acknoweledge it or not. You can turn a blind eye to illegal activity taking place right under your nose or you can legalize it, tax it, and use it for good.
I never denied this! However in a given city these "activities" are concentrated more heavily in particular areas. Don't turn a blind eye to the existence of filth ridden, down trodden ghettos, fairly clean middle class neighborhoods, and nearly completely clean suburban neighborhoods. The latter two are always going to be larger than the former.

Quote:
The two most dangerous drugs known to mankind are all ready legalized in the US (Cigarettes and Alochol). Not everyone chooses to smoke or drink, so why would you assume that everyone would be out trying to shoot up herione, i find the argument weakly formed and no substance or backing. If you actually have some data from say the Netherlands where most drugs are legal and you could substantiate your claims then may be i'd buy it, but as it stands now this is one of the weakest arguments i've heard for not legalizing drugs.
I never excluded cigarettes and alcohol. I have had my bout with both and came out on top. Cigarettes need to be gone for good they are absolutely repulsive and deadly... alcohol on the other hand if used in proper moderation can still be enjoyed with no long term negative effects... addiction comes to those who abuse it... which, yes goes against my point however find me another drug that can be ENJOYED and not have any damage/effect on you within 48 hours? On the same token I am fairly open to the the legalization of marijuana... it is not addictive and generally harmless.

Quote:
"I don't want it in nice wholesome communities"- The same people that sit on here and say this stuff are the same people who have kids out popping pills, smoking cigaretts, and drinking themselves into a stupor all the while comforting themselves with the idea it cannot and is not happening here.
Sorry I don't fit that category, and I was raised properly in my opinion. Theres finer things to life.

Quote:
Hell, i live in an extremely nice neighborhood and there's still a bit of a teenage drug problem here (very small, but it exist). We do not have the violence and gangs (in fact theres been no murder rate in the last 4 years) that come with being in large heavily populated, high poverty, enclosed spaces as it is a suburb, but we still have a small teenage drug problem.
Did you say... drug PROBLEM? Why are you arguing with me? We don't need this garbage anywhere... We shouldn't stop fighting these issues just because there will always be the availability of these vices, we have come this far, cleaned up this much... the walls are closing in on these people.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,410,247 times
I would legalize them all, with restrictions (age limits etc.) because these things will always be around, legal or not. Might as well legalize them, regulate them and tax them...(to help pay for some of the associated costs).

Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,690,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I would legalize them all, with restrictions (age limits etc.) because these things will always be around, legal or not. Might as well legalize them, regulate them and tax them...(to help pay for some of the associated costs).
What is with this nonchalant attitude...

"Meh... its out of control, why bother?"

I would love to see a society running off this principal.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,164,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Which is what? I am not familiar with it.
Here's a link. Personally, I think, at minimum, this is what we should do as it is more rational than the all out prohibition we have now. As a result of their policies, drug use has gone down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies