Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times

Advertisements

sad that scalia has passed, rest in peace sir. my prayers for the family in their time of sorrow.

as to replacing him, obama has a little time to select a replacement. hopefully he will choose wisely, and send up someone that the senate can agree with, however i dont think that will happen.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:39 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cases will go on, just with a higher possibility of ties.
nothing has to go on. Roberts can stop whatever he wants.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Thankfully, Republicans can hold off Obama's nominees.
That's the battle now. Stall and prohibit Obama's nominees
from confirmation. Things will get uglier than ever.
I agree that things are going to get ugly..however I seem to recall Sen. Reid enacted a change to the filibuster rules ( at least in the senate)..SO who knows? The House may or may not bring it up for a vote??

Now a lot depends on just how Republicans in Congress spews their rhetoric??? If they get all high and mighty and use their usual format of Doom and Gloom..It could very well enflame thus encourage of huge turnout in the upcoming elections!!
Senate Goes 'Nuclear,' Changes Nominee Filibuster Rules
November 21, 2013
Senate Goes 'Nuclear,' Changes Filibuster Rules - ABC News

Quote:
When senators arrived in the Capitol today, it took 60 votes to confirm presidential nominees. When they left, it only took 51 after changing Senate rules for the first time in decades.

The Senate voted 52 to 48 to change the rules to allow the president's judicial and executive nominees to be confirmed with only 51 votes. Supreme Court nominees are exempt from the change and still subject to the 60-vote threshold.

The Senate vote effectively eliminates the use of filibusters against presidential nominees, with Democrats advancing the most significant change in Senate rules in more than a generation to break a logjam of President Obama's blocked nominees.
Ohhhh my bolded above forces me to edit my previous comment...sorry...SCOTUS nominations are exempt!! So now I ask..What will happen in SCOTUS with 8 Justices if they get deadlocked 4-4??? Who breaks the tie?? Or does it have NO RULING outcome??

Old 02-13-2016, 03:43 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sad that scalia has passed, rest in peace sir. my prayers for the family in their time of sorrow.

as to replacing him, obama has a little time to select a replacement. hopefully he will choose wisely, and send up someone that the senate can agree with, however i dont think that will happen.
There is no way Obama is going to nominate this one, but it will change a lot of people's minds about who they vote for in the primary. I say it favors Clinton and I don't know who for the Republicans.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Ummm....it's only February. There's plenty of time.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
nothing has to go on. Roberts can stop whatever he wants.
The court will happen just as always........as noted there is simply more of a chance of 4-4 now. Justices have recused themselves from cases in the past leaving the ruling up to 8 judges.

Of course Obama will nominate someone......what will happen with that, I don't know.

This is probably going to be bad for the (D)'s in the big picture. It's going to create far more (R)'s to turn out in November especially if Obama gets a nominee voted on.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:45 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Rest in peace to a brilliant jurist.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,469,933 times
There is something of a convention that a SCOTUS justice will not retire in the last year of a president's term, so as not to affect the election. Either that, or she just wanted to keep the seat. It is her prerogative.

A big question will be, will the senate agree to consider an appointment by Obama, or force it to the next president?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They're all of an age that it could happen to any of them and no one would be shocked. But didn't Ginsburg have cancer? It is shocking how long she has stayed knowing she could go when the next president could be a conservative. I would have thought she would give Obama time to nominate someone, but she stubborningly refused to retire.

3,930 posts, read 2,096,997 times
Did not agree with him on most cases but my condolences go out to his family

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I agree that things are going to get ugly..however I seem to recall Sen. Reid enacted a change to the filibuster rules ( at least in the senate)..SO who knows? The House may or may not bring it up for a vote??

Now a lot depends on just how Republicans in Congress spews their rhetoric??? If they get all high and mighty and use their usual format of Doom and Gloom..It could very well enflame thus encourage of huge turnout in the upcoming elections!!
Senate Goes 'Nuclear,' Changes Nominee Filibuster Rules
November 21, 2013
Senate Goes 'Nuclear,' Changes Filibuster Rules - ABC News

Ohhhh my bolded above forces me to edit my previous comment...sorry...SCOTUS nominations are exempt!! So now I ask..What will happen in SCOTUS with 8 Justices if they get deadlocked 4-4??? Who breaks the tie?? Or does it have NO RULING outcome??

And the change to 51 can be changed back to 60. Keep in mind which Party now has the majority. The House doesn't vote on Judicial appointments.

In case of a tie the ruling that initiated the case stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies