Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 06:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,375,906 times

Advertisements

Obama should appoint a very well qualified justice who has received near unanimous approval from the senate for appointment to a circuit court.

It would then be very amusing to hear what McConnell and the other "leading" senate Pubs would have to say about turning down this candidate after they had voted in favor of placing him/her on the nation's 2nd highest court.

The pretzels they would twist themselves into in order to obstruct would be most entertaining.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,781,469 times
As he always has, Obama will do his job. I give about 20% chance that the Senate will do it's job .. and that 20% is generous.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,784,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I already know what was said and where it was said. However, it never happened. Nobody was "blocked." All nominees were considered by the Senate.
Oh, You mean the dems speak and then lie.

" All nominees were considered by the Senate."

And that is what I expect the repubs to do and WILL do, "consider".

There is NOTHING in the Constitution that defines "consider".

And no one has said any differently.

As I posted earlier it was the DEM controlled Senate judicial COMMITTEE who took 16 MONTHS just to vote Estrada "out of Committee".

Old 02-20-2016, 06:58 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,784,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but in a 2005 floor speech in the Senate - recorded in the Congressional Record and therefore not under Copyright protection - McConnell had this to say:https://www.congress.gov/crec/2005/0...-PgS8504-2.pdf
It has been posted several times what Cbuck Shumer said and I have posted that it took the dem controlled Senate committee 16 MONTHS just to get Estrada's vote in the committee.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,877,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
You know another group underrepresented on the Supreme Court? Stupid people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Which is exactly the cohort that Obama would appoint. Therefore, I agree with you- Obama's nominations should be rejected/fillibustered/delayed.

Obama installed a Mexican and a Lesbian. The next nominee would probably be a transgendered, illegal immigrant, Muslim. That would be perfect.
Both of Obama's appointments are Harvard or Yale Law School graduates -- the most difficult law schools to gain admittance. Sorry, one doesn't get into those schools if stupid. Moreover, while you obviously have ideological difference with the two Obama nominees, you would be hard pressed to find any case where they erred in the law.

I do think the aforementioned type is over-represented on CD, however.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,463,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
It may come as a surprise to you that Ellen Kagan was Justice Scalia's first choice to replace Sandra Day O'Connor and suggested to Justice Ginsberg that she make his suggestion know the President Obama. As for the Mexican, she is actually a New Yorican, that is a Puerto Rican born in New York City, the Bronx to be precise but then again all those brown people look alike I suppose.
It's no surprise that Scalia's words are twisted into Kagan being his first choice for the SC. His words were:

"I have no illusions that your man will nominate someone who shares my orientation,..."

The true meaning of his position was that, of the poison Obama will nominate give us the least painful.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,463,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Obama should appoint a very well qualified justice who has received near unanimous approval from the senate for appointment to a circuit court.

Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas were both approved for the Circuit Court with unanimous Consent, not a single objection

Old 02-20-2016, 10:36 AM

18,986 posts, read 8,991,867 times
Default Majority in Fox Poll Say Obama, Senate Should Fill SCOTUS Vacancy Immediately

"A new Fox News poll finds a pretty big majority wants President Obama and the Senate to act immediately on filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court left by Antonin Scalia‘s death.

A whopping 62 percent said that the president and Senate should act now. Only 34 percent believe that Obama shouldn’t get to nominate anyone for a lifetime appointment this late in his second and final term."

Majority in Fox Poll Say Obama, Senate Should Fill SCOTUS Vacancy Immediately | Mediaite

It's gratifying to know that the hard line ideologues here on C-D don't represent the majority across the country.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,580,717 times
I think Obama should nominate himself.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,152,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"A new Fox News poll finds a pretty big majority wants President Obama and the Senate to act immediately on filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court left by Antonin Scalia‘s death.

A whopping 62 percent said that the president and Senate should act now. Only 34 percent believe that Obama shouldn’t get to nominate anyone for a lifetime appointment this late in his second and final term."

Majority in Fox Poll Say Obama, Senate Should Fill SCOTUS Vacancy Immediately | Mediaite

It's gratifying to know that the hard line ideologues here on C-D don't represent the majority across the country.
Also interesting to note that none of the GOP candidates appear to represent the majority either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies