Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,917,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm fine with evaluating the nominee on his or her merits, and then rejecting or approving based on that evaluation. I'm not fine with rejecting a nominee regardless of his merits, simply because this President nominated this person. And it seems to me that that is exactly what the Republicans are proposing. Out and out rejection based on who is doing the nominating, rather than a careful review of the nominee himself.
The Democrats started this with Robert Bork. You reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 PM

858 posts, read 705,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
That was the best part of the debate . . . I was laughing so hard.

Teddy then showed Dickerson the nastiest look, and Dickerson backed off and apologized. Dickerson knows his stuff.

Mick
I was very happy about that part of the debate. moderators sometimes call the candidates out on their BS and I wish it happened more often. That's why i always wanted jon Stewart to moderate a debate.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM

77,015 posts, read 47,418,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Quite a few Republicans also voted against Bork. Reagan made another nomination, which was passed quickly. And no, it didn't start there, as there has been many nominees who have been rejected and withdrawn before Bork.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,409,287 times
There is absolutely no reason the senate should confirm a nominee to the SCOTUS who will gut our protections under the Bill of Rights (i.e., the second amendment). Thus far Obama's nominations to the SCOTUS have been partisan hacks who put their ideology ahead of the law of the land.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:19 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,665,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Republicans need to DELAY DELAY DELAY !!!!
Not HIM again.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM

7,575 posts, read 5,294,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Dems held a SC nominee for just over a year....so whats the problem? You don't like it, so what?

Was the SC able to function then? Of course they were.
If you are referring to the process to confirm a Justice to the Supreme Court upon the retirement of Justice Abe Fortas, I am sorry to inform you that the Senate did not "hold up" a nomination for "over a year" but rather considered three nominations before confirming Harry Blackmun to the Court. The rejection of both Clement Haynsworth, and G. Harrold Carswell well based upon well founded objections by both Republicans and Democrats. That is a difference of both substance and fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...mun_nomination

As for the disingenuous argument that Obama should have the ability to even nominate a replacement for Justice Scalia, as has been pointed out, Reagan did nominate three candidates, Robert Bork, Douglas Ginsberg both of whom were rejected by the Senate before deciding on the nomination of Anthony Kennedy.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM

56,978 posts, read 25,934,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There is absolutely no reason the senate should confirm a nominee to the SCOTUS who will gut our protections under the Bill of Rights (i.e., the second amendment). Thus far Obama's nominations to the SCOTUS have been partisan hacks who put their ideology ahead of the law of the land.
That's all in the eye of the beholder, did you feel the same way about the conservative appointees under Reagan and the Bush family.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,902,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Disapproving of a SPECIFIC nominee for SPECIFIC reasons is quite a bit different than vowing to block ANY nominee proposed by the president.

As an aside, I find it amusing that the only protection that some think important in the Bill of Rights is the 2nd amendment. Perhaps it's the only one they know -- after coveting thy neighbor's wife -- oh wait.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,257,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Bork was far to the right, but even he got a vote and saw half a dozen Senators from his own party say "no." When Obama nominates a centrist that is either denied a vote or voted down, they'll end up looking very silly.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,700,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm fine with evaluating the nominee on his or her merits, and then rejecting or approving based on that evaluation. I'm not fine with rejecting a nominee regardless of his merits, simply because this President nominated this person. And it seems to me that that is exactly what the Republicans are proposing. Out and out rejection based on who is doing the nominating, rather than a careful review of the nominee himself.
Supreme Court nominations have always been a political game and likely always will be.

There are hundreds -- perhaps thousands of judges in this nation that could do just fine as a Supreme Court Justice. Out of that pool of possibles, the POTUS always always always nominates somebody who they believe will support their party's political agenda. Congress in turn approves or denies based mostly on political agenda.

Unless Barack Obama nominates somebody pro-life and anti-gun control etc., there's no way in hell this Congress will allow Obama to seat another Supreme Court Justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies