Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times

Advertisements

There was always going to be 1 or two scotus appointments on the next presidential term that hasn't changed, people who pay attention to politics know that a republican controlled congress is not going to confirm a liberal appointee the same way a democrat controlled congress wouldn't approve a conservative not in an election year, the fact that congress is going to stall should not surprise anyone nor is it going to make anyone upset enough to switch votes. It has the potential to be a talking point during the general elections that might resonate with an independent or two that are tired of politics as usual it might push them democrat but it's a minimal effect imo much to do about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:27 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Not really happy with the choices for candidates, I'll never vote for a liberal progressive like Klinton or Sanders especially to their anti 2nd amendment stance.

But I'm not fond of republican choices either. However my vote now will be geared toward the replacement of Scalia rather than a new president and my vote will be toward preventing a liberal anti 2nd amendment judge from getting the job.

I was prepared to sit this next election out but now that is my mission.
As an independent I have to agree. If it had been Cruz or Trump, I would have sat out the election. (Not that it matters most in ID since it bleeds red.) But now, even if it makes no difference, I'll even vote for one of those two morons.

The only way I could ever have voted for Hillary was if I was on the Jury and she would not have appreciated my vote for a life sentence, and as far as Bernie goes; I can only say this country is turning to ****.)

Old 02-14-2016, 01:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Do we want another Sonia Sotomayor? Some might, but many don't. I agree with you tho, this topic shouldn't be what makes someone vote. You can protest the choices with a write in vote, or vote for an independent. Ross Perot cost Bush I an election.
First off, Perot took virtually equally from Bush AND Clinton. Stop spreading that lie.

Second off, it may be used against Rubio or Cruz should they get the nomination as they have gone on the record to say the next president should decide. I'm not asking for a hasty nomination, rather one within the next month.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Obama will appoint someone.

The Republicans will not vote and the nomination will die.

Obama asked for all of this. He has mocked and baited the Republican party from his first days in office.

Reid will be "outraged" but no one will care.

The new Republican President will nominate someone worthwhile and he will breeze through the Republican legislature.

For the next 16 years the Republicans will have the majority and the White House.
That's no guarantee.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM

27,139 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Or that much free time in the middle of the day...

No, many Dems have plenty of time in the day.

Conservatives can figure out how to listen on their time without interrupting their busy day at work.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Not really happy with the choices for candidates, I'll never vote for a liberal progressive like Klinton or Sanders especially to their anti 2nd amendment stance.

But I'm not fond of republican choices either. However my vote now will be geared toward the replacement of Scalia rather than a new president and my vote will be toward preventing a liberal anti 2nd amendment judge from getting the job.

I was prepared to sit this next election out but now that is my mission.
If the 2nd amendment is your only you might as well not vote, it's been safe for the last 7 years in spite of the drama queens. Bernie Sanders is pro-gun rights so you really shouldn't vote until you educate yourself on the issues. You don't get to vote on Scalia's replacement that would be the present congress.

There are however some serious issues outside the 2nd amendment

Old 02-14-2016, 03:04 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Scalia WAS one of the few justices with true morals and integrity.

Sotomayor and her supporters are racists who claim her race should be a factor in her appointment. Sotomayor supports hiring unqualified black firefighters over white ones (for a job as critical as the fire department!!!!) simply for affirmative action purposes. She's also one of those liberal Hispanics who makes illegal immigration a racial issue and believes wanting secure borders and stopping illegal immigration is racist. I actually know many people of color and many LEGAL immigrants who are outraged by the idea of their tax money going to illegal aliens, their wages being undercut by illegals and especially by the liberal idea that an illegal should just be given citizenship and not have to earn it.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Scalia WAS one of the few justices with true morals and integrity.
Morals if you think that we should not allow gays to marry, rights to have an abortion or the ability to conduct consensual sexual acts in your own bedroom. RIP Big Gubmint in the bedroom.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:26 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Lefties did not possess the brain power to make their talk shows a success.
LOL -- And because no one wants to listen to lefties !
They just want all their free stuff.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:39 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off, Perot took virtually equally from Bush AND Clinton. Stop spreading that lie.
Your opinion is noted. However, it is incorrect as a fact.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies