Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
IF it is true that this would require Apple to create a new OS that would actually affect other users who are NOT doing anything wrong, then yes, I completely disagree with Trump, ("aghast" is a little dramatic, don't you think) on this issue.

I'm against wire tapping, I'm against the Patriot Act, and I'm against forcing a company to unlock a phone if part of that requirement causes any possible intrusion to innocent citizens' phones. The fact that the government has been trying to make Apple do this for non terrorist activities is a red flag to me. I don't agree with giving up rights in the name of "security", and it has nothing to do with, "well if you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you care", it has everything to do with keeping the government out of my business as much as possible. (For the record, I don't own a cell phone.)
No it wouldn't...Damn people, stop the paranoia. It's not like they will update every iPhone on the planet with anew OS. It will be used for cases like this where they have a warrant. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:13 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
you can't use apple phones or android or google on internet or anything
in the "cloud" and keep your privacy. even the cars are hooked up now,
the houses are getting there.. and biometrics too.. wearables, gps chips,
remote control.. global grid, drones, virtual reality, remote control and
surveillance, etc etc

Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
1. Your first sentence is funny. sounds Trump-ish.

2. Yes, but the criminal population will be reduced on the outside. I know, I know for every drug lord or terrorist, we put away, another will replace them. The law of the land.

So, why can't Apple open it under the govt's watch, then they don't give them anything?
Is it because they don't want to help get other terrorists, it's not my job, not my worries (until it is a relative of one of their own)
1. Your take on how this sounds is irrelevant to the conversation

2. You missed the point, or maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to count the number of criminals either decision eliminates. I'm pointing to the fact that in the second scenario I pointed out, people like you will still trot out your list of top whatever # of boogie men are out there at the time and use that to justify compromising the security and privacy of millions, if not 100s of millions of other people.

Apple can't just open it under the government's watch, there are multiple issues with that:

1. It still proves that there is a way for it to be done, and even the slightest inadvertent hint about how it was done could be leaked and offer hackers a mirror into how they can do it on their own.

2. It's not like only one person at Apple will be the one to know 100% of how the hack works, it will likely take teams of developers to create and apply this hack. The more people that know, the more likely it is that the method eventually leaks out.

3. Do you REALLY think the government will only ask this one time? Once proven that they can/will do this, its going to become a more frequent ask and the barrier for doing so will be gradually lowered.

4. Why in the world do you think it's OK for the government to force a company to basically break their product, at their own expense, and at the risk of making the personal data of millions of its customers available to malicious attack.

So many people have private and personal information on their phones such as passwords, financial data/access....now you want to put all of that at risk to read a few texts between a few dead terrorists? Why? Because you MIGHT find one or two other people they were talking to? I'd rather have that be an unknown as compared to the risk of millions of peoples personal and financial data being exposed. Imagine if hackers suddenly had access to bank accounts of 10s of millions of people. The financial losses to individual people and families alone could be crippling, and I would be willing to bet you would even see loss of life, as well as physical pain and suffering in some of those cases too. Although its easy to pull at the heart strings over the terrorist boogie men, reality tells me that the unintended consequences of intentionally putting a huge security flaw in a hugely popular piece of mobile technology could have far greater reaching consequences than any terrorist attack could.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it wouldn't...Damn people, stop the paranoia. It's not like they will update every iPhone on the planet with anew OS. It will be used for cases like this where they have a warrant. Nothing wrong with that.
Stop smacking your head, I said "IF". That was capitalized. Meaning, IF what is said is true...because I don't know enough about Apple's OS to know if it's true...I'm not a big fan of Apple products. IF it were true, I would not condone it.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
It won't be out in the wild. Man you people are too damn paranoid.
Paranoid?

How Apple Lost the iPhone 4

I mean if such a secretive physical prototype of a product can just be so easily "lost" what do you think can happen with a few lines of computer code that can be covertly put on a flash drive or emailed to someone? Especially a few lines of code that have the potential to open up access to hundreds of billions or maybe even trillions of dollars of value? What if one of the developers of the hacks at Apple decides to just "consult" with someone to teach them how it was done, even if that person didn't have 100% of the picture on how it was done, I'm sure they could get the ball rolling for someone else. This has nothing to do with paranoia, its called learning from history and being realistic.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Apple is a dying breed anyways. They should just go with it becore they lose even more consumers. Who even uses an Iphone anymore?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It wouldn't be unlocked but unlockable.

Then the smart well paid intelligence in DC, better get right on that.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:26 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Apple is a dying breed anyways. They should just go with it becore they lose even more consumers. Who even uses an Iphone anymore?
apart from the $5.5B expected with the new phone this year

Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
apart from the $5.5B expected with the new phone this year
Well they need it desperately

Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We will see what Apple's response will be right now we don't know that a solution would impact all users.
Of course we do, if Apple bypasses their own security, then unless your Apple device isn't running Apple software, the solution impacts your device just the same as the device in question. Software is pretty simple, if you can do it in one place, you can do it in that same exact place on every device running that software.

Quote:
It won't be out in the wild. Man you people are too damn paranoid.
So then Hillary's server wasn't compromised, because it wasn't out there in the wild? I mean you didn't know the Clintonemail.com domain name until it was published in the media, how would anyone else know about it?

Yeah. Sure it wasn't.

Quote:
They may have to. Once they derive a mechanism for the access of data on an encrypted device, then they may be required to integrate changes into the operating system to permit that access of data on all devices.

Even if they don't need to integrate the mechanisms, the knowledge of how to bypass the security would already there, and would already known. What you think the NSA/CIA or whoever isn't going to demand that they know the mechanism? The Hells Angels used to have a saying, two people can keep a secret, if one of them is dead, and it's true.

Here's the thing, paranoia isn't always unwarranted, gun owners are called paranoid, because the government really are not out there trying to take away their guns. Anti-Surveillance people are called paranoid because the government really are not out there trying to invade their privacy.

Well you know what, maybe the government is out there trying to do these things, and if you can't trust the government to uphold your rights to own a gun, how can you trust that same government with your personal information?

If you support gun rights, and not privacy rights, because of lack of trust on one hand, but trust on the other, how do you sleep with the cognitive dissonance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies