Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Here's an idea... all you folks that think it's a swell idea to allow the government to bust into your phone (aka "I have nothing to hide") post you PIN number and phone number in this thread. Heck, I could use a new computer on your Master Card and I'm sure we all would enjoy photos of your wife, girlfriend and kids.

*crickets*
This is a search warrant through a judge, your post makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
kidnappers, rapists, drug traffickers, terror cells, (foreign and American), sex-trafficking organziations, Sony studios hackers all rose up to clap. Are they innocent in our utopian land?

The innocent are the 14 dead in SB. The 100+ in Paris but you don't count them since they don't fall under the U.S. constitution but they are a western country ALLY and number one tourist spot for Americans.

The innocent citizens are trying to fight Cyber-crimes and yet they should leave this phone as a safe haven for them? c'mon.

I don't agree with tapping/collecting data 100% either, but there are cases where it's warranted.
Is Apple saying no to letting a Fed sit there while an Apple engineer retrieves the data? They should at least get the data from a dead terrorist. Murderers should not be allowed privacy rights for communication.

Well, it is 50/50 in this debate per the media.
Disclosure: Owner of Samsung Galaxy
Just because you can list a lot of really bad people that do really bad things, does not mean that the rest of us give up our rights, sorry. The only way for Apple to crack the phone for the government results in every single other iPhone user having significantly reduced security on their phones because now there is a documented method for doing this out in the wild now.

Take it a step further, because this isn't something that can be looked at with blinders on. Lets say 3-5 years down the road, its widely common that the front door and garage door on your house can be locked/unlocked from your cell phone through an app....well the same number of ugly criminals that you list are still out there, should the government have a special key for that app that opens the front door of any american that they want?

Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
A lot of people are misunderstanding what is going on here. It's not as if the Feds are simply asking to take the phone into the Apple store, and the guy at the Genius Bar can put in a few codes and the phone is unlocked.

Apple is essentially saying there is currently no way to unlock the phone. If they create a way, it will not be unique to just this one phone, but will create a backdoor that can be replicated to access any phone. Think of it as a house - if you build a house with no door, no windows, etc. no one may ever be able to get in or out. But if you build a secret trap door, and only tell your best friend - well, now that opens up Pandora's box for not only your best friend, but anyone else that is able to find that trap door.

There is no easy answer. One of my biggest concerns is that a company like Apple isn't exactly a US company. Yes, they are headquartered in Cali, etc. But they have truly global operations. What happens when the Russian gov't, or Chinese court order them to do the same?

I think a huge issue that will face us in the coming generation is the blurred lines of what countries multi-national corporations are essentially loyal to.
Great post, especially the bolded.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is a search warrant through a judge, your post makes no sense.
Two words: Slippery slope

Old 02-17-2016, 12:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Just because you can list a lot of really bad people that do really bad things, does not mean that the rest of us give up our rights, sorry. The only way for Apple to crack the phone for the government results in every single other iPhone user having significantly reduced security on their phones because now there is a documented method for doing this out in the wild now.

Take it a step further, because this isn't something that can be looked at with blinders on. Lets say 3-5 years down the road, its widely common that the front door and garage door on your house can be locked/unlocked from your cell phone through an app....well the same number of ugly criminals that you list are still out there, should the government have a special key for that app that opens the front door of any american that they want?
Amen.

Sad to see how many Americans willingly would give up their right to privacy.

Who are these people that trust the FBI or our Federal Government? I don't know any...

Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
So it is alright to protect the phone and not blame it for crime but the gun, well blame it and ban it and demand change.

ok

Old 02-17-2016, 12:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I see that Donald Trump has weighed in on this issue, and he is against Apple:

Trump slams Apple resistance in San Bernardino case - UPI.com

Will Trump supporters be aghast? Will they support his position? Or will those Trump supporters inhabiting this thread change their previously held opinions?

We shall see.
IF it is true that this would require Apple to create a new OS that would actually affect other users who are NOT doing anything wrong, then yes, I completely disagree with Trump, ("aghast" is a little dramatic, don't you think) on this issue.

I'm against wire tapping, I'm against the Patriot Act, and I'm against forcing a company to unlock a phone if part of that requirement causes any possible intrusion to innocent citizens' phones. The fact that the government has been trying to make Apple do this for non terrorist activities is a red flag to me. I don't agree with giving up rights in the name of "security", and it has nothing to do with, "well if you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you care", it has everything to do with keeping the government out of my business as much as possible. (For the record, I don't own a cell phone.)

Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
IF it is true that this would require Apple to create a new OS that would actually affect other users who are NOT doing anything wrong, then yes, I completely disagree with Trump, ("aghast" is a little dramatic, don't you think) on this issue.

I'm against wire tapping, I'm against the Patriot Act, and I'm against forcing a company to unlock a phone if part of that requirement causes any possible intrusion to innocent citizens' phones. The fact that the government has been trying to make Apple do this for non terrorist activities is a red flag to me. I don't agree with giving up rights in the name of "security", and it has nothing to do with, "well if you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you care", it has everything to do with keeping the government out of my business as much as possible. (For the record, I don't own a cell phone.)
We will see what Apple's response will be right now we don't know that a solution would impact all users.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:

Take it a step further, because this isn't something that can be looked at with blinders on. Lets say 3-5 years down the road, its widely common that the front door and garage door on your house can be locked/unlocked from your cell phone through an app....well the same number of ugly criminals that you list are still out there (2), should the government have a special key for that app that opens the front door of any american that they want?
1. Your first sentence is funny. sounds Trump-ish.

2. Yes, but the criminal population will be reduced on the outside. I know, I know for every drug lord or terrorist, we put away, another will replace them. The law of the land.

So, why can't Apple open it under the govt's watch, then they don't give them anything?
Is it because they don't want to help get other terrorists, it's not my job, not my worries (until it is a relative of one of their own)

Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:

It won't be out in the wild. Man you people are too damn paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies