U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 AM

1,450 posts, read 877,486 times

Advertisements

Being a life-long Republican I might go Democrat for the social reasons.

We need to end the ‘war on drugs’, as it is a silly concept and undoable; it only causes nonviolent persons to be criminals. We need to allow persons, particularly over age 70, the right to choose to die when they become ill, rather than allow their fortunes to be taken by the healthcare industry, while they live a few more painful years. We need to get over the abortion issue, this has been legal since 1973 and we need not go back to what we now have with drugs, making criminals out of people. Also, we need to get beyond what we do with aborted materials, as being discarded is no better, in fact worse, than using the substance for research.

We need to be serious about healthcare, as it is, when someone is very sick they receive treatment, and then the hospital chases them around with collection agencies, another corrupt business! They end up avoiding normal health care practices, then become very sick and need more expensive medical care. The private system does not work here, we need government sponsored health care, supplied to all citizens.

I am a fiscal conservative, yet I am also aware we need to get the religion out of public life. Our problem with the Middle-East is over their religious fundamentalism; how can we combat that rationally when we endorse another religious fundamentalism? As to gun ownership, we need to be more responsible, we need to have better laws, more background checks, better mental health analysis, and let’s get real about assault weapons; those who want them might join the National Guard.

We need to offer workers a fair wage and stop farming out all the jobs to other, cheaper countries. At some point we need to care about our fellow citizens!

Sanders scares me a little on fiscal issues, yet he is for decriminalizing drugs and most understanding of right to die issues. Clinton and Sanders would appeal to me more than any of the Republicans. For as long as Republicans hold on to pro-war, anti-women, religious values, I will not support them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 AM

I never spoke out for gun control before, and know some, like my husband would not like it, yet they will not compromise on issues so far afield form self defense and hunting. Who needs an assault rife for defense, unless one lives in a war zone? Most hunters do not use them!

Why would anyone need more than two automatic pistols?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:24 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,660,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I never spoke out for gun control before, and know some, like my husband would not like it, yet they will not compromise on issues so far afield form self defense and hunting. Who needs an assault rife for defense, unless one lives in a war zone? Most hunters do not use them!

Actually those Ar15 Rifles are great for Hog Hunting and target shooting.

And how does limiting the amount of handguns ones owns by an honest citizen reduce Thugs from Murdering other Thugs?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 AM

12,843 posts, read 4,651,539 times
Have you seen these videos OldDocKat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJ7f-3XGB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdp4fUowhbw

Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 AM

19,124 posts, read 12,227,026 times
Quote:
Being a life-long Republican I might go Democrat for the social reasons.

We need to end the ‘war on drugs’, as it is a silly concept and undoable; it only causes nonviolent persons to be criminals. We need to allow persons, particularly over age 70, the right to choose to die when they become ill, rather than allow their fortunes to be taken by the healthcare industry, while they live a few more painful years. We need to get over the abortion issue, this has been legal since 1973 and we need not go back to what we now have with drugs, making criminals out of people. Also, we need to get beyond what we do with aborted materials, as being discarded is no better, in fact worse, than using the substance for research.

We need to be serious about healthcare, as it is, when someone is very sick they receive treatment, and then the hospital chases them around with collection agencies, another corrupt business! They end up avoiding normal health care practices, then become very sick and need more expensive medical care. The private system does not work here, we need government sponsored health care, supplied to all citizens.

I am a fiscal conservative, yet I am also aware we need to get the religion out of public life. Our problem with the Middle-East is over their religious fundamentalism; how can we combat that rationally when we endorse another religious fundamentalism? As to gun ownership, we need to be more responsible, we need to have better laws, more background checks, better mental health analysis, and let’s get real about assault weapons; those who want them might join the National Guard.

We need to offer workers a fair wage and stop farming out all the jobs to other, cheaper countries. At some point we need to care about our fellow citizens!

Sanders scares me a little on fiscal issues, yet he is for decriminalizing drugs and most understanding of right to die issues. Clinton and Sanders would appeal to me more than any of the Republicans. For as long as Republicans hold on to pro-war, anti-women, religious values, I will not support them!

I would see a physician. Perhaps you have an undiagnosed medical problem that is causing your change in behavior.

When one of my patients laments any condition they bear, I usually tell them, "it could be worse- you could be a democrat". That will usually cheer anyone up.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,793,404 times
Quote:

Unless you can attach a bayonet to the barrel, it is not an assault rifle.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:45 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,664,047 times
Quote:

Why would you worry about a responsible gun owner with responsibilities in life who has 50 guns, over a drug dealing gang member with 2 guns?

Seems you might be asking why all the medication with young people that have committed the mass shootings. You do know most Democrats are diagnosed with depression, more than others and dealing with anyone outside of their party is a daunting task.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Actually those Ar15 Rifles are great for Hog Hunting and target shooting.

And how does limiting the amount of handguns ones owns by an honest citizen reduce Thugs from Murdering other Thugs?
I heard this all my life, yet I know a 44 magnum revolver is better in the bush for hog hunting.

It seems owning several defense pistols, for some who own them, increases the possibility of theft. Remember, not all handgun owners are so responsible.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,660,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Seems you might be asking why all the medication with young people that have committed the mass shootings.
Or high they are going to raise her Property Taxes to pay for all the free Community College being promised.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why would you worry about a responsible gun owner with responsibilities in life who has 50 guns, over a drug dealing gang member with 2 guns?

Seems you might be asking why all the medication with young people that have committed the mass shootings.
I have not argued that point. I do not understand your second sentence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies