Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:17 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to me that many accuse Obama of creating divides between the parties. It's a perfectly valid criticism. I'm sure there are many arguments that support such a claim. But if the problem is creating a divide between the parties, why are we looking to Bill O'Riley for wisdom?

Is this little opinion piece, which is primarily an attack on the President's character, not also creating divides? Is the entirely of Fox News, which there very conservative rhetoric, not also creating a divide? Are the numerous Republican candidates who say that Hillary will hate them not also creating a divide?

My point, if it's unclear, is that those who accuse ONLY Obama (and I could add only Democrats) of creating a political divide are creating a disingenuous argument. They do not care about compromise. They care only about their own ideals, and will lie about their intentions to promote them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
He's been great for leeches and government workers.
Been a tough 7 years for ya, huh?

Maybe your prospects will brighten up one day.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Been a tough 7 years for ya, huh?

Maybe your prospects will brighten up one day.
You're an example of a government worker in need of permanent layoff.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's interesting to me that many accuse Obama of creating divides between the parties. It's a perfectly valid criticism. I'm sure there are many arguments that support such a claim. But if the problem is creating a divide between the parties, why are we looking to Bill O'Riley for wisdom?

Is this little opinion piece, which is primarily an attack on the President's character, not also creating divides? Is the entirely of Fox News, which there very conservative rhetoric, not also creating a divide? Are the numerous Republican candidates who say that Hillary will hate them not also creating a divide?

My point, if it's unclear, is that those who accuse ONLY Obama (and I could add only Democrats) of creating a political divide are creating a disingenuous argument. They do not care about compromise. They care only about their own ideals, and will lie about their intentions to promote them.
Part of the reason I turned off the tv news... There will always be bias but one can weed through it better reading vs 23 hours of opinion, 1 hour of reporting

Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,820 times
This is the post I responded to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I If you take a realistic view of what the president actually does, Obama is a pretty excellent public servant.
This is my response ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
How much do you pay for medical insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I have the same employer-provided plan I had in 2008. Premiums have continued to increase, just as they were before Obamacare, but at a slower rate. I don't think we really know if or how much the slowdown in health care inflation is based on the law's various measures to "bend the cost curve" and how much of it is based on other factors.
I think it is absolutely wonderful that you pay nothing ... lot's of others are not so lucky as you. But the question still remains for STWR. When you look at what the WH moslem has done TO us, "excellent" is not a word that comes to my mind in describing him.

El Nox

Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When O'Reilly was asked how he could possibly defend George W. Bush, he said, "He kept us safe. We haven't been attacked since 9-11. So in my book, he is doing a good job."

Well, here is a President who not only kept us from being attacked, but he actually got the man Bush couldn't. On top of that, Obama fixed the economy, fixed healthcare, neutered Iran, and is about get guns under control; So what's the problem?

Oh that's right, Democrat. Obama is guilty of being a Democrat. Of course!

Hillary lies to the public, you lie to yourself.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I think it is absolutely wonderful that you pay nothing ... lot's of others are not so lucky as you. But the question still remains for STWR. When you look at what the WH moslem has done TO us, "excellent" is not a word that comes to my mind in describing him.
You're right that STWR can answer the question for him/herself. For the record, though, my health insurance isn't free. "Employer-provided" just means that I'm on a group plan provided by my employer, rather than the individual market.

As for the rest of your post, I can't actually think of anything Obama has "done to me." I make more money than I did seven years ago, my investment portfolio is a lot bigger, my federal income taxes are the same, my payroll taxes were lower during the "Payroll Tax Holiday" enacted as part of the stimulus and extended for two years in 2010, but it's expired now so they're back to normal. I bought a new house (with a lower mortgage rate) and rented out my old one in 2011. I still attend the same church (we have a new assistant pastor), own the same firearms, hunt, fish and camp in the same places. The Falcons and Braves have gotten worse, but I don't think that's due to any changes in federal policy.

I guess hiring has gotten more difficult as the labor market has improved. Thanks, Obummer.

What has he done to you?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I have the same employer-provided plan I had in 2008. Premiums have continued to increase, just as they were before Obamacare, but at a slower rate. I don't think we really know if or how much the slowdown in health care inflation is based on the law's various measures to "bend the cost curve" and how much of it is based on other factors.
I set premium rates. It's other factors. That chart ... I'd love to see how they compiled those stats.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I set premium rates. It's other factors. That chart ... I'd love to see how they compiled those stats.
I think it's undisputed that other factors are involved. The open question is whether any of the cost-control measures of the law are also having an effect. I don't think we have enough data yet to have any certainty one way or the other.

As for the chart, I guess you can go out to the BEA website and review the copious documentation on methodologies.

Consumer Spending

Old 02-21-2016, 01:37 PM

It's what I thought. Meps vs encounters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies