Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. That impacted Whites more than Blacks as Whites had a higher rate of home ownership in 2008:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Race_2009.png
No, it impacted black people more, because black people couldn't rely on equity. White people have more diversified investments(mutual funds, businesses, life insurance), whereas with black people homeownership was the only source of wealth.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Black people are too loyal to Democrats.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
My observation is that for many, if not most, black people, it doesn't appeal to them if you say you are good for all poor/working people. They seem to want special (favorable) treatment. So things like Affirmative Action, certain kinds of welfare.... And they associate Dem. with that.

Obviously Clinton knows that and tries her best to appeal their appetite. As for whether she will actually deliver what she promises, they don't seem to mind.

On the other hand, Sanders is for all working people, and that is not enough to appeal some. As Bernie Sanders said in his C-SPAN interview as mayor of Burlington (on YouTube), Martin Luther King didn't get trouble in the early days; but once he made the statements that he wanted to unite all working people black, white, .... against the rich.... he immediately had his phone tapped by FBI, and the government began to censor him in many ways. I doubt many black people were aware of King's fight as being not merely against racisim.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Black people are too loyal to Democrats.
If we are, that's our business.

If the other party inspired loyalty, then you might have a point.

But they don't. The only vibe I get from them ranges from outright hatred to outright hostility.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Most Asian and Hispanic people also vote democrat, so the better question is why are white people outliers. I am black, and I vote democrat mainly because republicans don't support infrastructure, job creation. And they support the US empire more than the democrats, which I don't support. US national security concerns are due to US meddling. We wouldn't really have terrorism or threats if the US disengaged and let other people fix their own issues.
i agree with a lot of what you have said, but i cannot see how the democrats have created more jobs? i dont mean that in a snarky away at all, but a lot of the democrat sponsored trade deals (e.g., NAFTA is a good example) were US job killers. i know there are arguments that the net impact was minimal job loss, but there is enough data to say that those type of agreements do impact US jobs on some significantly negative level. and increasing jobs through infrastructure spending? wasnt the TARP supposed to provide funding which would then create jobs to improve infrastructure? i havent gone deep into the research but it appears that very little of our TARP money every ended up as new jobs to rebuild infrastructure.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Look at some of the Republican blacks in leadership roles:
Ben Carson, Mia Love, Condoleesa Rice, Herman Cain, Colin Powell.....

Look at some of the Democrat blacks in leadership roles:
Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Malcom X, Black Lives Matter, New Black Panthers.....

Says it all to me.....
it says you are so blind that you are even lying to yourself.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
On a plane coming back from Texas, a journalist asked LBJ is he was going to sign off on the Civil Rights Law, and (drunken man speaks the truth?) he said: You betcha! If, for no other reason, we'll have them kissing our butts until the end of time!

Mayor Daley of Chicago, early on, facing a Republican-voting Black South Chicago, learned quickly how to steer them to vote for him: don't crack down on the gambling dens or prostitution on the South Side, build lots of public housing high rises to prevent them from infiltrating the suburbs or white areas of Chicago! And throw in lots of "sweets"!

It worked, and they fell for it!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
No, it impacted black people more, because black people couldn't rely on equity.
I completely disagree. Most people rely on their home equity for their net wealth, and Blacks have a significantly lower percentage of home ownership than Whites. So the decline in home equity does NOT explain the widening wealth gap between Blacks and Whites during the Obama Admin. If anything, your ridiculous premise should have narrowed it. Note that it did not.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:27 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
On the other hand, Sanders is for all working people
Then why does he want to tax their pension plans and retirement accounts with the transaction tax?

Oh, you thought only Wall Street and the "rich" will pay that? Guess again... American workers and retirees have $27 Trillion invested in their pension plans and retirement accounts. Guess where that's invested? Yep, Main Street America, aka all working and retired people with any kind of pension plan or retirement account will pay a significant portion of Bernie's supposed "tax on Wall Street."

$27 trillion in pension savings means lots of attention | Fiduciary Matters

Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
i agree with a lot of what you have said, but i cannot see how the democrats have created more jobs? i dont mean that in a snarky away at all, but a lot of the democrat sponsored trade deals (e.g., NAFTA is a good example) were US job killers. i know there are arguments that the net impact was minimal job loss, but there is enough data to say that those type of agreements do impact US jobs on some significantly negative level. and increasing jobs through infrastructure spending? wasnt the TARP supposed to provide funding which would then create jobs to improve infrastructure? i havent gone deep into the research but it appears that very little of our TARP money every ended up as new jobs to rebuild infrastructure.
Let's see how many jobs were created under each party (data from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_c...ential_terms):

Barack Obama...................8,925,000
George W. Bush.................1,281,000
Bill Clinton........................22,891,000
George H. W. Bush (1 term)..2,672,000
Ronald Reagan...................16,102,000
Jimmy Carter (1 term)........10,339,000
Nixon/Ford........................10,799,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies