Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not even "likely." It's not "probable," either.
I worked in HR for years. Don't tell me I was seeing things that weren't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Ask the idiot in the WH.
Between 2000 and 2008 I did!! Whatever happened to "Support the President, or get out" that between 2000 and 2008 all the conservatives used to say?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:39 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Between 2000 and 2008 I did!! Whatever happened to "Support the President, or get out" that between 2000 and 2008 all the conservatives used to say?

We have a black democrat in the White House. You can't expect that conservatives would apply the same standard.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And white right-wingers think I'm full of crap when I say without affirmative action, a good old boy white will get ahead of the ad,missions lime over a better qualified minority. RICH White males stand to benefit the most from dismantling affirmative action. This isn't some idea that was born out of concern for those poor Asian students. Your average person is not going to act on the best interests for someone else. People look out for number 1, and that's why most Asians support affirmative action even though right-wingers think they shouldn't. That's also why I don't believe minorities who are Republican represent my interests. They don't.

Fixed that for you!! I'm a major liberal, and as a white middle-class person, have gotten little, or no perks, but I saw the rich and well connected just coast through life; on top of that, I also wasn;t able to play any race or gender card, so no, no extra perks here.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
I was the top student in my high school graduating class in the early 70s. I was a National Merit Scholarship finalist and a National Negro Achievement winner. I kicked total butt on the SAT and ACT.

And it still took Affirmative Action to get me into the university of my choice...and that was just a state university.

The problem is--yet for the Boomer Generation, not nearly so much for Millennials--that when there are 10 openings and 15 equally qualified candidates, 2 of which happen to be black, it's very easy for people who intend to shut out blacks to do so forever and claim to be "color blind."
In a similar situation, a woman in the early 60s in medical school

Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That is not at all "most likely."
I agree- it is 100% likely!! I've worked at enough places that were big on AA, and saw the "benefits" of that. Fights in the office, unprofessional ghetto behavior/conduct, threats, racist behaviors, double standards that all went unaddressed for fear of lawsuits-yet I"M the privileged one???

Old 02-22-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Since your parents were immigrants, are you a US citizen?

So you have no history of family being long term US residents who might have been discriminated against 50-100 years ago, yet you expect and take advantage of Affirmative Action.

Aren't you taking the spot of someone who's family might have actually faced discrimination?

Uh oh better check your privilege

Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Do you understand how discrimination works? It can happen in the now and present, it doesn't matter if it happened to someone in his family 50 years ago. New immigrants get discriminated against all the time.

People here seem to forget the point of affirmative action, it's so 2 qualified people have the same chance of getting a job, and one doesn't get passed over because of their race. There is nothing wrong with that. It has nothing to do with where one's family came from or how long they have been here. We're not talking about reparations for past sins, we're talking about equal chance to the same job.

Agree 100% with the bolded-however, too many people on both sides of the argument have twisted it into something it was never designed to be, and that is preferential treatment based on race only. Is AA still needed in America today?? IDK but from my experience of 48 years in America is that the only color that really matters is GREEN! Money talks BS walks

Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Agree 100% with the bolded-however, too many people on both sides of the argument have twisted it into something it was never designed to be, and that is preferential treatment based on race only. Is AA still needed in America today?? IDK but from my experience of 48 years in America is that the only color that really matters is GREEN! Money talks BS walks
In my most humble opinion, all posters should just read your post and accept this simple bolded fact.

Poor Students of all colors Are The Real Victims Of College Discrimination

Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I graduated in the early 80s with a degree in a "man's" field. There were three women who pursued this degree in a class of 600 total university graduates.

I was an affirmative action hire and believe me I paid dearly for being an AA hire at first. My male coworkers and boss, even my female secretary, gave me grief. But, being good at the job, pulling my weight and more, eventually resulted in a great career.

At first things were tough, but after a while there was never a better group of supporters than my customers and fellow employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies