Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,702,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Misinformation. Semi auto pistols and semi auto rifles use magazines. Clips are different altogether.
Regardless, anti ignorant gun folks are going to research anything twitter and facebook don't already throw at them daily
I think it comes down to "that gun looks way more dangerous".

For some reason this gun -- the AR-15 -- should be banned:

And this one -- a 30-06 lever action rifle -- is fine:

As I've already pointed out, you have rapid reload systems available for both styles, so both styles of rifle could have been used at Sandy Hook to equal effect. Both rifles can fire many times between reloads. The reason that an AR-15 was used was because that's what Adam Lanza's mom had. Nobody was shooting back so the shooter was free to put as many bullets into his victims as he wanted to with whatever type of gun he wanted. The thing that gun-grabbers don't comprehend is that either style can and is used to go hunting. The 30-06 shoots bigger bullets too which probably would have meant fewer survivors.

It seems that people less familiar with guns see the clip hanging under and the black military-looking design of the AR-15 and automatically assume that it's the more dangerous gun. "That's scarier looking!! Ban it!!" Truth is, the 30-06 lever-action is more likely to kill you in one shot than the AR-15 (depending on what ammo you're loading of course.) Something about having a wooden stock and no clip fools people into believing that the lever action is far less lethal -- but they're completely wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,702,186 times
We live in a country where disarming everyone just ain't practical. There's nowhere near enough support to repeal the 2nd Amendment -- the only possible starting point for taking all the guns away. Why do gun-control nuts keep beating their heads against the proverbial brick wall?? If you want keep your children safe at school, how the hell is suing Remington going to change anything?? Here's a better idea: Thoroughly vetted armed guards in every schoolroom. Given a choice between a school with armed guards and a gun free zone school, Adam Lanza and just about any other perp is going to attack the gun free zone. They don't much like the idea of people shooting back at them.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 AM

13,282 posts, read 7,827,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
They should be suing Obama.

He's closer to having something to do with it than the gun maker.

MUCH closer!
"While nobody has any problem identifying a cartoon image, people frequently do have problems with a cartoon narrative. In May of 2011, in the first version of what happened in Abbottabad, Pakistan, a White House spokesman claims that Osama Bin Laden, when cornered, tried to use one of his wives as a “human shield”. They did later change the story, but this first version is a clear case of a cartoon element being overlaid onto something that is supposed to be a real event. My terminology for this is RRA, which stands for Roger Rabbit artifact."

Battling the Matrix and Freeing Oneself from the Roger Rabbit Mental World - The Unz Review

Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,627,700 times
Deep pockets attract lawyers. This is just a potential for a large and profitable settlement for a bunch of ambulance chasers. The TV adds from a bunch of lawyers are another example of this practice.

I can understand suing a manufacturer for a defective product like a gun the blows up in your hand, but not for a gun that does what the shooter wants. These guys would love to sue the Lanza family but they are unfortunately (as in lack of fortune for the lawyers) dead.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,361,845 times
I can see it now, in future you'll need to agree to Terms of Use in order to purchase a gun. Then the manufacturer is not liable if you violate the TOU.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,156,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If that is the case then they should be modified. Why do you need to shoot five rounds in ten seconds? What is the point? This is only useful if you intend to kill as many people as possible in a very short time. That is why these weapons are so attractive to the mentally unstable.

Insane people cannot be outlaw, put weapons of mass destruction can be prohibited.
I know where I can lay my hands on a German WWII 75mm anti-tank cannon, fully functional and legal to own. I can level a building in minutes before any cop could stop me.

Get over your outrage.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right. It's time to screw with people who have absolutely nothing to do with the tragedy but have money while conveniently ignore the party that is completely negligent and careless in enforcing the existing laws - the government.

What a bunch of wonderful people! Shame on them! They aren't some nice innocent people to begin with.

And shame on you to even think this should an option!

And not only all of that (), but it's simply more proof that survivors of tragedies, and the families of victims, can ultimately be the biggest threats to our liberties.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:46 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,392,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Several posters have proudly stated that they can shoot a lot of rounds and do a lot of harm with rudimentary guns. This is their defense for the guns that can shoot hundreds of rounds very quickly.

It seems that some gun enthusiasts are obsessed with how powerful these guns are. It is no surprise that many former massacre shooters had selfies pretending to be Rambo. The Virginia Tech shooter comes to mind.

This obsession about gun power is lethal in folks with mental issues. I am astounded at how many posters boast about how fast they can shoot. It seems they get pleasure out of that. Couple that with a bit of mental illness and we have massacres.
I don't own an AR15, but support the constitution. I also don't own a printing press, but support the right to Free Speech. I'm not a woman or gay, but support equal rights.

That's what makes me a sane conservative. I support consistently the rights of others and the constitution, as opposed to many liberals who want to pick and choose based solely on emotion.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Why Sandy Hook parents are suing a gun-maker - CNN.com

I don't understand how suing an inanimate object makes any sense.

Should all families of people murdered by the US Gov't be allowed to sue gun, tank, plane and bomb manufacturers?
And once they lose that suit they might turn around the sue the Federal government for allowing Americans to own guns.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,827,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And once they lose that suit they might turn around the sue the Federal government for allowing Americans to own guns.
Obama would like to sue the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies