Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'm on my way out in a moment.... Will be in Reno tomorrow evening..they have In-n- Out too. It's a good week. St. Louis for 3 days next week...no such luck.
That's ok...we are in Vegas next month for several days, so I will get an In and Out, AND get to go to L&L Drive-In (from Hawaii) AND Trader Joe's!!! Life is goooooood considering the sky is falling! LOL Safe travels home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Yes...life is still good...but our (everyone's) spending power is losing steam everyday (well, almost everyday ....ouch. I feel for those that don't have much...makes it harder for them to save anything.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Even in the depression there was the ability for those that looked outside the box, that moved forward vs sitting and crying "wooo is me" to take advantage of something that was there to make money on.

I had a friend...a very dear (and now departed) friend that taught me so much...he was a graduate of the Whorton School of Business, owned his OWN seat on Wall Street and was a member of Eisenhower's "Think Tank" group...right after graduating from school, he (as the sky was falling) took all his money and invested in real estate...his mother thought he was crazy when he bought property by paying the back taxes on it...but he lived until the age of 95 and never bought ANYTHING on credit after the age of 40. He owned homes in CA, HI, Japan, Lake Tahoe and I mean HOMES ($$$$$$$$ homes)...all cash. He said the smartest thing he did was take "advantage" of real estate when the getting was good...that and Sony stock!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'm on my way out in a moment.... Will be in Reno tomorrow evening..they have In-n- Out too. It's a good week. St. Louis for 3 days next week...no such luck.
Poor baby will have to go to Bandanna's for ribs. Sucks to be you.

I LOVE THEIR RIBS!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Even in the depression there was the ability for those that looked outside the box, that moved forward vs sitting and crying "wooo is me" to take advantage of something that was there to make money on.

I had a friend...a very dear (and now departed) friend that taught me so much...he was a graduate of the Whorton School of Business, owned his OWN seat on Wall Street and was a member of Eisenhower's "Think Tank" group...right after graduating from school, he (as the sky was falling) took all his money and invested in real estate...his mother thought he was crazy when he bought property by paying the back taxes on it...but he lived until the age of 95 and never bought ANYTHING on credit after the age of 40. He owned homes in CA, HI, Japan, Lake Tahoe and I mean HOMES ($$$$$$$$ homes)...all cash. He said the smartest thing he did was take "advantage" of real estate when the getting was good...that and Sony stock!
That's the way I roll!! Don't pay no interest...use credit card only cause I'm an airline mileage monster (pay in full monthly though) and buy, buy, buy real estate (hedge with precious metals). We live way below our means though...I think there's something to say for that. We bought a rather modest home here, only own 1 vehicle and are not very fancy people..very laid back.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Poor baby will have to go to Bandanna's for ribs. Sucks to be you.

I LOVE THEIR RIBS!!!

Going to Zia's on the hill too!~ mmmmmmm I get my ribs in Memphis!!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,587 times
Paka,
You know where we can get a listing of property for back tax payment? Sounds like something I need to look into.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM

No, but I do know that they have the auctions on the city steps I believe every quarter. You can contact the City of San Antonio and ask them about the real estate auctions for back taxes...and I recommend that you check the places out first by getting the addresses and checking on the "condition" before you have to plop down the $$$ (certified cashiers checks actually) at the courthouse.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,587 times
thanks will do, it's like monopoly...weee!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
thanks will do, it's like monopoly...weee!
You got it!!!

There are so many times when the masses will sit and wring their hands...and those that will be willing to take risks and think outside the box will say "where is my advantage in this" and then make a move.

When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies