Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post

I'm from Miami too. What neighborhood are you from? Unless you grew up in South Beach, chances are you had a bunch of black friends even if you were middle class, thereby exposing you to black culture. I live in Hawaii now and the school Obama attended (and the neighborhood he lived in) has predominately rich white and Asian people; it has been that way for decades.
What does that have to do with being black ??????

Old 02-24-2016, 10:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Growing up in New Orleans, riding a bus as the only white, playing basketball as the only white on my team, I know 1000 times more about the AA experience than someone raised in Indonesia being raised by a white woman and Asian Muslim.

Obama policies have been terrible for blacks in particular...if he singled them out and tried to make things worse, he couldn't have done more damage. By every measure, blacks are far worse off since he became President with wealth of blacks down almost 50%, poverty up, black versus white wealth gap spiraling up (see link). Under Obama, Blacks Are Worse Off -- Far Worse - Larry Elder - Page full

If a white or Asian man had the same policies and got the same results, they would be enemy #1 in the black community...the only reason Obama got and continues to get such support in the AA community is because he is half black in ancestry.

Perhaps then people, regardless of race/ ethnicity, might stop expecting a POTUS, any POTUS, to make their lives easier or better or whatever. Instead, every 4-8 years the masses get collective amnesia and believe this time will be different.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps then people, regardless of race/ ethnicity, might stop expecting a POTUS, any POTUS, to make their lives easier or better or whatever. Instead, every 4-8 years the masses get collective amnesia and believe this time will be different.
It is different, we got a Trump now Lives will be better! He will insult every race/ethnicity equally

Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with the actual color of his skin.

Thats my point, if you believe those people to be clowns, then why does Carson get a pass ? why do you have to grow up in the hood and be on welfare to be "black " ????
Carson is a black conservative, did you miss that part of what I was saying? Other black people call black conservatives "Uncle Toms", but that's a dumb phrase to use for Carson when he's the epitome of "blackness", regardless if he's a neurosurgeon, conservative, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What does that have to do with being black ??????
We are talking about black culture, aren't we? Just because someone is black doesn't mean they identify with black culture, which is why Carson said he was "raised white". Obama can be half black all day long, but he didn't grow up being relating to black folks that grew up in black communities.

Tall Traveler probably knows more about black culture than Obama and he's white. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
There is a contest for every topic regarding who had it the hardest. Woe-is-me. Two ultra successful men, a neurosurgeon and the president, duking it out for who had it worst??? Really? Is there a prize?

How about both men touting they were successful largely BECAUSE of the opportunities available to all citizens due to being born in America? Grits teeth....

Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/ben-carson-obama-was-raised-white-219657#ixzz412VJ35VN

Carson is stating the obvious, but it's something that few prominent people have said in public and a great litmus test for minds that are clouded by leftist BS on race. This Washington Post writer for example is fashionably confused, claiming not to understand what Carson means:

Why Ben Carson’s statement that Obama was ‘raised white’ is so utterly confounding
A. I think it is you that is confused.
B. Now some folks on the right are complaining that Obama isn't "black enough" is way too rich with irony.
C. It doesn't seem that next to last place, turkey coma Carson is rallying Blacks to his campaign.
D. You've had 7 years to adjust and get over the fact he's president...get over it.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Carson is a black conservative, did you miss that part of what I was saying? Other black people call black conservatives "Uncle Toms", but that's a dumb phrase to use for Carson when he's the epitome of "blackness", regardless if he's a neurosurgeon, conservative, etc.

I didnt miss your point, im saying that no one has the right to define "Black".

you should have a problem with anyone trying to define it and exclude people.

Quote:
We are talking about black culture, aren't we? Just because someone is black doesn't mean they identify with black culture, which is why Carson said he was "raised white". Obama can be half black all day long, but he didn't grow up being relating to black folks that grew up in black communities.

Tall Traveler probably knows more about black culture than Obama and he's white. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

What is black culture and why do you get to define it ? Why do you have to fit be involved in black culture to be black ?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
I'm from Miami too. What neighborhood are you from? Unless you grew up in South Beach, chances are you had a bunch of black friends even if you were middle class, thereby exposing you to black culture. I live in Hawaii now and the school Obama attended (and the neighborhood he lived in) has predominately rich white and Asian people; it has been that way for decades.
I grew up in what is now Miami Gardens. While I did have some Black friends growing up, my schools had more Caribbean and Hispanic students. My parents didn't encourage us to be around American Blacks and things like speaking "proper" English was emphasized. We ended up spending most of our school vacations in the islands so my exposure to Black American culture was somewhat limited by my parents but like you said I was still exposed. My point is that just because you didn't grow up directly in the experience doesn't mean that you don't understand it.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
What in the blazes does it mean to raise someone 'black style' ?

Is there a special black way to serve dinner?
Is there a special black way to put kids to bed?
Is there a proprietary black method of diaper-changing?
A unique homework-helping method that only works on children above a certain melanin threshold?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
His poppa was a rollin stone, where ever he laid his hat was his home.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies