Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

I read threads like this and it becomes clear as to why the country is so messed up.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
The North is richer, lives longer (higher life expectancy), is more educated, more innovative and largely subsidizes Southern dysfunction through Federal taxation. The "Human Development Index" is much higher in the Northern U.S.

Why keep the laggards on the Federal payroll? To boot - the South continues its stupidity: racial and class based social stratification and disenfranchisement; anti-science/anti-intellectualism/anti-innovation/anti-women/anti-progress/etc.

Why can't we just let the American version of the Middle East go? What value are they bringing the North? Oil? Fracking? Cheap everything? Let the radical Christian right have their utopia. (fyi - I feel bad for those stuck in the political culture down there, as I know many great Southerns that don't fit the stereotype. How unfortunate.)

It's exhausting seeing the never-ending battle continue down South. While Silicon Valley is busy creating driverless cars, Seattle curing cancer through immunotherapy - the South is debating legal decisions decided 30+ years ago and re-writing public school books to include creationism. Good riddance.

I should also note it's sad to see once great states like Michigan and Wisconsin take on this inherently southern flavor.

Just think about it:

North:

Silicon Valley: Technology capital OF THE WORLD. Driverless cars, your smart phone, biometrics, bio-tech, robotics, human-computer interaction, radical life extension, futurism

San Francisco: hippie counter-culture, sexual revolution, anti-war movement, gay rights, women's rights

LA: everything on your TV and in your theater

NY: financial center of the World; fashion capital; all of your media

Boston: International center of higher education: Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brandeis, etc.; bio-technology

Minneapolis: medical manufacturing; highest life expectancy in the U.S.

Seattle/Portland/Madison/Chicago/etc.
Seattle, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Portland, and Los Angeles are all, in my estimation, in the west. They have very little in common with the rust belt and the northeast.

you should probably replace them with cities like Baltimore, Syracuse, Detroit, St. Louis, or beautiful Cleveland.

Last edited by le roi; 02-24-2016 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 05:36 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Having grown up in the NE and midwest, I'd have to say the OP is mistaken. Not just mistaken, but backwards. WNY (my stomping grounds) is mile after mile of closed, rusting factories, Buffalo, Rochester, etc. Detroit, Flint and much of "industrial" Michigan is the same, as is much of the entire state of New Jersey. Chicago is burdened with a horrible violent crime rate, and face it, other than the business "core" of downtown, is a dump. NYC is little better, becoming more and more a national laughingstock with some of the idiotic rules and regulations being passed by the cities leaders.

In contrast, business and industry in the south, especially manufacturing, is booming. In fact, the only real problem area in the south that I think about is New Orleans...which happens to be the area with the largest Democrat presence.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
The Southern USA is dysfunctional how exactly? Certainly no problems for anyone who wants to start a business, or someone who doesn't care to leech off welfare.
My gosh - you genuinely don't know that the South is the biggest welfare-sucking region in the whole country? There are still people who buy into that Southern self-sufficiency fable? Of the 20 states that suck the most money out of the rest of the country, 16 of them are strongly Republican states, and 12 of them are in the South. The only ones not on the list are Georgia (a pure outlier) and Florida. The only reason most of the South isn't bankrupt and staving in the streets is because they "leech off welfare." It's the only thing keeping them solvent - some of them suck up as much as twice as much tax money from the Federal government as they pay in, and in some cases even more than that. The biggest welfare "black hole" in the country is the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
And I can't help but notice a lot of big cities. I'll bet a lot of people in the rural areas of those states wouldn't mind those overpriced Democrat cities being hacked off. Then we'd have more red states.
Yeah, you're have more bankrupt states is what you'd have. Most of the Red states literally could not survive without the money they get from the Blue states - in other words, those "lazy liberal" states are the ones working their asses off to support the "hardworking, self-sufficient" Republican states with their tax dollars. Bet Rush never mentioned that, did he?

Republican states in general, and Southern states in Particular, are an anchor that drags down the entire rest of the country economically, culturally, and intellectually. It's a pure and simple fact, no matter how many times you hear some ignorant redneck who can't even spell the model of his pickup truck boast about how people in the South "do for their own."

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 02-24-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I read threads like this and it becomes clear as to why the country is so messed up.
I agree. "We the people" has been replaced by "Us" and "Them". "Us" are good and "Them" are evil.

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Sounds like you would divide the country based on old Civil War lines? You do know that will give the South a huge Military Advantage right??

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
What an asinine assertion full of cherry-picked nonsense to support a bigoted viewpoint.

How "progressive."

Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The South suggested this 150 years ago.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
The South has been developing at a pretty rapid rate over the rust belt north. Cities like Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, DC, Miami, OKC, NoLa, have improved and it's no longer just fly country.
The OP is a troll, most of the places he mentioned are out West or in the northern Midwest.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:17 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
The North is richer, lives longer (higher life expectancy), is more educated, more innovative and largely subsidizes Southern dysfunction through Federal taxation. The "Human Development Index" is much higher in the Northern U.S.

Why keep the laggards on the Federal payroll? To boot - the South continues its stupidity: racial and class based social stratification and disenfranchisement; anti-science/anti-intellectualism/anti-innovation/anti-women/anti-progress/etc.

Why can't we just let the American version of the Middle East go? What value are they bringing the North? Oil? Fracking? Cheap everything? Let the radical Christian right have their utopia. (fyi - I feel bad for those stuck in the political culture down there, as I know many great Southerns that don't fit the stereotype. How unfortunate.)

It's exhausting seeing the never-ending battle continue down South. While Silicon Valley is busy creating driverless cars, Seattle curing cancer through immunotherapy - the South is debating legal decisions decided 30+ years ago and re-writing public school books to include creationism. Good riddance.

I should also note it's sad to see once great states like Michigan and Wisconsin take on this inherently southern flavor.

Just think about it:

North:

Silicon Valley: Technology capital OF THE WORLD. Driverless cars, your smart phone, biometrics, bio-tech, robotics, human-computer interaction, radical life extension, futurism

San Francisco: hippie counter-culture, sexual revolution, anti-war movement, gay rights, women's rights

LA: everything on your TV and in your theater

NY: financial center of the World; fashion capital; all of your media

Boston: International center of higher education: Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brandeis, etc.; bio-technology

Minneapolis: medical manufacturing; highest life expectancy in the U.S.

Seattle/Portland/Madison/Chicago/etc.
What a racist, white elitist statement to make!

Mississippi for example. Mississippi is 37 percent black, while non-Hispanic whites are 58 percent of the population.

In America 38% of people in poverty are white and 39% are black. blacks make up 13% of the population but get 39% of the welfare kitty......whites make up 70% of the population and receive 38% of the welfare kitty.....so for every one white family on welfare there are seven black families on the welfare

Why are so many "educated" northern whites such racist bigots while putting on the mantle of not being so?

I suppose the next thing to do is to point out the failure of Detroit schools attributing it to race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies