Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 08:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times

Advertisements

I really get offended at the "Votar aqui" signs.

Shouldn't a naturalized US citizen at least be able to read a "Vote here" sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I really get offended at the "Votar aqui" signs.

Shouldn't a naturalized US citizen at least be able to read a "Vote here" sign?
That pisses me off to no end. Same with offering any driver's license test in any language than English in the US.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 PM

116 posts, read 314,729 times
Yeah, right, let's ban any food other than burgers, too.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
English IS a foreign language in the USA.
No english is the native language here, ever since this has been USA.

Quote:
If you are American and speak it as your mother tongue, good for you, but other people prefer other languages.
English is the mother tongue of all native born Americans irrespective of their origins(especially hispanics).

Quote:
What part of "it's a free country" don't people understand?
I agree. Being a free country naturally leads to English only, so all those complaining are worrying about nothing.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post
Yeah, right, let's ban any food other than burgers, too.

Ridiculous analogy.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is no other foreign language so widely spoken as Spanish in this country. Polish nor German (which I think is what the Amish speak) are only confined to small areas. They are not all over the country. As I said, this is directly due to too much legal and illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. What happened to diversity in our immigration numbers so that "immigrants" would assimilate?
The only reason German is confined to a small area is because of systematic persecution of German speaking Americans during WW1. It was at least as widely spoken and used in public as Spanish is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No english is the native language here, ever since this has been USA.

English is the mother tongue of all native born Americans irrespective of their origins(especially hispanics).

I agree. Being a free country naturally leads to English only, so all those complaining are worrying about nothing.
So, English speaking countries are the only free people in the world?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 AM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
For those of you annoyed by the signs, do you also get annoyed at braille on elevator buttons? I'm just wondering because I don't see the difference. If it's not relevant to you, ignore it.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So, English speaking countries are the only free people in the world?
No. That's not what I was saying.

My point is that letting people speak what ever language they want naturally leads to foreign languages dying out with the generations. Trying to regulate language is completely unnecessary and might actually have the opposite affect.

There is absolutely no threat to the English language today. It is the only functional language in the u.s and always will be, irrespective of how many immigrants come.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
This country is not really a free country. You know that. You don't really have freedom of speech.

The kind of utopia that you are hoping for doesn't exist anywhere.
Well, then - do you capitulate to that, or do you keep fighting for it?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
DMV: they need to be English ONLY. Period.
Well, in California, they aren't, and thank goodness they are available in selected languages when needed.

I'd like to think that traffic safety is an important aspect that should be widely disseminated, in spite of your knee-jerk nativism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies