Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We are not "a country of immigrants." We need to make English our official language. All immigrants must be able to speak English fluently before being granted citizenship.

You're correct. Today we are mostly a nation of U.S. native born citizens not immigrants. Time to drop that stupid label and just be ourselves. We adopted English as our national de facto language. Don't like it then get out! I'm not about to learn a half dozen foreign language to accommodate immigrants either.

If they want non-English signs in ethnic business neighborhoods I really don't care but English should also be posted if they want to draw native Americans to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're correct. Today we are mostly a nation of U.S. native born citizens not immigrants. Time to drop that stupid label and just be ourselves. We adopted English as our national de facto language. Don't like it then get out! I'm not about to learn a half dozen foreign language to accommodate immigrants either.

If they want non-English signs in ethnic business neighborhoods I really don't care but English should also be posted if they want to draw native Americans to them.
Come on - - don't be so disingenuous. Nowhere is English being replaced - - you can still stay as ignorant to other languages as you want and still survive.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:

Just how big do you think the "rabid anti-anything-that-isn't-white-honky-but-still-shops-in-chinatown" segment of the population is? They're not losing any business because people who get butt hurt over foreign language signs are never going to do any significant spending there anyway.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Just how big do you think the "rabid anti-anything-that-isn't-white-honky-but-still-shops-in-chinatown" segment of the population is? They're not losing any business because people who get butt hurt over foreign language signs are never going to do any significant spending there anyway.

I have no idea nor do I care. The white supremist types are a minority anyway. Just saying that including advertisements in English also will draw in more native English speaking customers and they don't have to be white supremists either. I don't have a problem however with foreign language signs in ethnic business neighborhoods.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem however with foreign language signs in ethnic business neighborhoods.
In those kinds of neighborhoods I want signs and literature in both English and the neighborhood language. I'm sorry, ethnic neighborhoods are part of my country too and I have a right to patronize businesses in those areas. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act how would the ethnic residents feel if we made them unwelcome in majority businesses. And before you say that we need to make their languages available in majority areas, remember, they chose to move to an English-speaking country. Learn the language.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Freedom means the right of businesses to speak or advertise in whatever language works for them. I do believe everyone living in this country should at least attempt to learn English, but I wouldn't want to require it.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:53 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In either 2002 or 2003 I was driving through downtown Port Chester, a heavily Hispanic village about 3 miles from where I live. On Route 1, Boston Post Road, in a heavily traveled stretch a Shell Station posted promotional signs in Spanish and not bilingually. I wrote on Shell's complaint website. Their first response was that it was an independent business and Shell had no role.

I wrote back and pointed out that Shell was a franchise and this kind of rank discrimination, i.e. offering free or discounted merchandise for gas purchases only to Spanish speakers was rank discrimination. A few days later, when I went back to that area, the signs were posted in both languages.
Rank discrimination?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Freedom means the right of businesses to speak or advertise in whatever language works for them. I do believe everyone living in this country should at least attempt to learn English, but I wouldn't want to require it.
Freedom does not mean being allowed to create an enclave where the rest of the country is unwelcome, not unlike Europe's "no-go" zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Rank discrimination?
Yes. Effectively limiting a promotion to one ethnic group is discrimination. Apparently Shell agreed.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In those kinds of neighborhoods I want signs and literature in both English and the neighborhood language. I'm sorry, ethnic neighborhoods are part of my country too and I have a right to patronize businesses in those areas. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act how would the ethnic residents feel if we made them unwelcome in majority businesses. And before you say that we need to make their languages available in majority areas, remember, they chose to move to an English-speaking country. Learn the language.

I think you may have misunderstood me. We basically agree. I think out in mainstream that English should prevail.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood me. We basically agree. I think out in mainstream that English should prevail.
We agree on that. And my point is that I want access to the enclaves as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies