Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

‘Brexit of Champions’: How Britain May Trigger A Political Earthquake

In this wonderful article, Seth Lipsky quotes the American Spectator for the phrase Brexit of Champions (link). On June 23, 2016 Britain votes on Brexit. Hopefully Britain votes to leave.

Britain and the EU are truly a poor fit. The UK's natural allies are its successful offspring, such countries as the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Israel and India. These countries have been successful, forward looking countries. The continental EU countries are in many respects frozen in time. They're beautiful museum pieces but like their many churches largely bereft of worshipers, are places of the past, not the future. Britain joined the EU in 1973, at a time when the U.S. was crippled by the Vietnam War and its opposition, Watergate, price controls, inflation and the energy crisis.

Now the
U.S. and other freedom-loving countries should be looking to the future, not to the mercantalist, bureaucratic past.

Last edited by jbgusa; 02-24-2016 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 02:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Default Wonderful news; Massive swing to Brexit

Why would anyone over there want more layers of government rather than fewer? It will be interesting to watch this over the next two weeks.
-----------
The campaign to take Britain out of the EU has opened up a remarkable 10-point lead over the Remain camp, according to an exclusive poll for The Independent.

EU Referendum: Massive swing to Brexit

Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
How is this wonderful news? The British are some of the most sensible people in the European Union and without them there the administration of the continent will become even more self-defeating and inept than it is now, which is bad for both America and for Europe. I don't blame the British for wanting out, but it's not good for either America or the rest of Europe.

I mean, good for them, but I don't see any point in cheerleading this.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
How is this wonderful news? The British are some of the most sensible people in the European Union and without them there the administration of the continent will become even more self-defeating and inept than it is now, which is bad for both America and for Europe. I don't blame the British for wanting out, but it's not good for either America or the rest of Europe.

They should do what's best for them and not have any consideration for the U.S. and continental Europe.

That said, Euroskepticism always ran hot in Britain, but if they leave, I think the continent will get along fine without them.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

Removing layers of government is good for everyone in the world.

Removing unelected EU rulers is reason for celebration!

And yes, the EU will become even more inept than it is now. I would question it's long term viability.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

And yes, the EU will become even more inept than it is now. I would question it's long term viability.
Why is it a celebration for US?

Old 06-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why is it a celebration for US?
Excessive government is a burden on working people, freedom, productivity and growth all over the world. While the Brexit may not directly help us here, it's a move in the right direction.

Maybe we will wake up and kick the UN out someday.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:

^^^^ Your reasoning had made me actually look into this..and comments ^^ and so many others are really not understanding the ramifications!!

I'm getting the sense that many here really don't understand what members of the EU entails. Maybe a benefit/disadvantage link might help you all out! and just to remind Britain opted out of currency change to euro and retained the British Pound Sterling.

Advantages and Disadvantages of the European Union | OccupyTheory

snip of conclusions after comparing. It appears that there's an agenda by those individuals who don't benefit but the regular people will definitely feel it in their pocketbooks for sure!

Quote:
Despite the potential disadvantages of being an EU member, more citizens are able to benefit. All it takes is proper management and handling of problems and the union will surely be able to maintain peace, order, and prosperity among member nations. There will always be challenges on the way, but with unity, these things can be conquered.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Excessive government is a burden on working people, freedom, productivity and growth all over the world. While the Brexit may not directly help us here, it's a move in the right direction.

Maybe we will wake up and kick the UN out someday.
But what if that's what they want?

Why apply the American mentality to non Americans.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They should do what's best for them and not have any consideration for the U.S. and continental Europe.

That said, Euroskepticism always ran hot in Britain, but if they leave, I think the continent will get along fine without them.
Completely agreed on your first comment, they should do what is best for them, but there's no happiness in it for everyone else and like most of the people on this forum I am American.

On your second comment, not so certain the rest of the continent will run well without them. France and Italy have been terrible at governance for over a century and the Germans are treating the EU like it is the German Empire, to pretty bad results (the German driven mishandling of the Greek debt and refuge crises immediately coming to mind). Who is going to stand up for sanity in the face of those big 3 once/if Britain leaves?

Quote:

Celebration in London sure, and more widely in Europe if it unraveled the unelected Euro bureaucracy more widely, but my best guess is that it will make the EU worse but not destroy it. Europe's interests in the world generally align reasonably well with America's so that's not a good thing for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies