Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

I hope the ex girlfriend goes to jail for a long time. Her boyfriend asks her to buy guns so he can play with them, she should have just laughed and said " No way." She should have just owned up to what she did and told the cops and the guy would have been back in the hoosegow and she probably would have walked away with probation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:21 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Great point. Clearly the idea of giving such open access to firearms is deeply flawed.
How did lanza's mother leave guns in the open?

Why don't we prosecute all the parents of those kids who got guns?

Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Very true (bolded), a mother thinks it's a good idea to introduce her mentally ill son to guns and have them available in the house, the entire culture needs to change. Right now our approach to guns is not remotely rational.
You will always have parents who suck at being parents and who lack even a shred of common sense. How many bullies have parents who not only condone the behavior, but also defend it? Parents who allow their 13 year old daughter to have a sexual relationship with an adult. Even to the point of allowing that adult to live in the home with them. Parents who buy their 16 yearly child a high performance sports car for their first car. Then want to sue someone because the kid wrapped the car around a tree.
Parents giving a gun to a child that they know has mental problems? Same as the above examples.
One thing that has changed in this country is people no longer care if they bring shame to the family.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
To the part in bold -- no, please re-read my responses.

To the rest, you might be as fascinated as I was when I read studies about the power of suggestion and how external pressures can very much influence people to do things they would never usually do. Let me know if you'd like me to dig up a few of those.

It's the same reason why advertising works, even though everyone thinks it doesn't work on them.
I agree with you, but it's still not an excuse. If the offender is a child, that's different. Once our brains are fully developed, we should know the difference between right and wrong.

I mean, you can say "pressure" causes someone to commit any crime. As a crime victim, I'd hate to have you on a jury voting not guilty for a rapist because he had strong sexual urges he couldn't control. "She was just too pretty and I hadn't been with a woman in months. I couldn't handle the pressure."

Have I cracked up a few times? Sure. I've lost my temper, thrown things, screamed, cried and gotten so depressed I didn't feel there was any hope. Like millions of others I've had major financial losses and suffered with serious illnesses. However, I never went out and shot people, not even the ones who caused me harm. At least if the shooter put a gun to his head, all those innocent people would still be alive. When you take others with you, that's not "pressure" but a selfish, cowardly act of vengeance.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-27-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
49th mass shooting of the year.

But don't worry folks, the gun is OK.

Sheriff: Answers Being Sought in Kansas Attacks With "As Many" as Three to Four Dead - Bloomberg Business
Another excuse to take guns away from law abiding citizens, right?

The man had been served with a restraining order for violence. Further, he had a record, so he would not have been able to buy guns. They are looking into how he obtained the weapons.

Once again, this proves that criminals will be able to obtain guns. But let's punish law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves and their families. Right? Take the guns away from the law abiding citizens.

Support the NRA: https://membership.nrahq.org/5245/de...paign=bing_ppc

Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Another excuse to take guns away from law abiding citizens, right?

The man had been served with a restraining order for violence. Further, he had a record, so he would not have been able to buy guns. They are looking into how he obtained the weapons.

Once again, this proves that criminals will be able to obtain guns. But let's punish law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves and their families. Right? Take the guns away from the law abiding citizens.

Support the NRA: [url]https://membership.nrahq.org/5245/default.aspx?src=camo&ek=Y6AJ102P&utm_source=bing& utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=camo&utm_campaign=bing_ ppc[/url]
Many responsible gun owners I know do not support the NRA. They are not trying to protect the 2nd Amendment. They are marketing guns and ammo and trying to convince people that sensible gun laws will affect law abiding citizens and take away their right to bear arms. It's just not true.

I am not a hunter and I don't carry a gun, but I agree with most of this article and have expressed the same thoughts many times.

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/29/i-love-my-guns-but-i-hate-the-nra/"]I OWN GUNS, BUT I HATE the NRA
[/URL]
"I agree with the NRA on one point: Tightening controls on gun ownership will not eliminate gun violence. And it may not do much to address the psychopathology of young men who commit mass murder. Timothy McVeigh and the Tsarnaev brothers committed their crimes with bombs, while Adam Lanza, with no criminal record, inexplicably stole his mother’s guns, murdered her, and headed off to Sandy Hook Elementary School.

But by filtering out at least some people who are poor candidates for responsible ownership, gun control will reduce the steady bloodletting of everyday life in our cities, a pervasive environment of danger that police departments around the country have decried, calling for greater handgun controls."

Last edited by justNancy; 02-27-2016 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: fix post, site went down!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Many responsible gun owners I know do not support the NRA. They are not trying to protect the 2nd Amendment. They are marketing guns and ammo and trying to convince people that sensible gun laws will affect law abiding citizens and take away their right to bear arms. It's just not true.

I am not a hunter and I don't carry a gun, but I agree with most of this article and have expressed the same thoughts many times.

I OWN GUNS, BUT I HATE the NRA

"I agree with the NRA on one point: Tightening controls on gun ownership will not eliminate gun violence. And it may not do much to address the psychopathology of young men who commit mass murder. Timothy McVeigh and the Tsarnaev brothers committed their crimes with bombs, while Adam Lanza, with no criminal record, inexplicably stole his mother’s guns, murdered her, and headed off to Sandy Hook Elementary School.

But by filtering out at least some people who are poor candidates for responsible ownership, gun control will reduce the steady bloodletting of everyday life in our cities, a pervasive environment of danger that police departments around the country have decried, calling for greater handgun controls."
The solution is to lock up those dangerous people. Without guns, they will just find another way to do mayham.

The article is very wrong in most parts and most importantly it conveniently ignores the fact that the government doesn't enforce even the current background checks.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
49th mass shooting of the year.

But don't worry folks, the gun is OK.

Sheriff: Answers Being Sought in Kansas Attacks With "As Many" as Three to Four Dead - Bloomberg Business
"49th mass shooting of the year."

You are claiming there has been 49 mass shootings in 2 months.

Where did you get that number?

Your article does NOT say ANYTHING about "49th mass shooting of the year."

"28 traffic Deaths in Colorado So Far in 2016"

"http://www.westword.com/news/28-traffic-deaths-in-colorado-so-far-in-2016-where-they-happened-and-more-7609847

And this ONLY 1 city.

I guess since you are SOOO concerned about deaths, we should ban cars, But don't worry folks, "the car is OK."

This is just 1 Page of 611 but, I guess you DON'T CARE about ANY of their lives.

Your fake concern is noted!

"Right-to-Carry permit holder fells armed robber, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Minn. 02/24/16, KSTP, Minneapolis, Minn. 02/23/16 A Right-to-Carry permit holder was at the end of a driveway in a neighborhood in Brooklyn Park, Minn. when he was approached by an armed robber who demanded money. The permit holder responded by drawing ...
Gun Laws
Thursday, February 18, 2016
71-year-old stops home invader, WSOC, Charlotte, N.C. 02/16/16
Disabled 71-year-old Tony Pitts was watching TV in bed at home in Hickory, N.C. when he heard his sliding glass door shatter. Pitts retrieved a .22-caliber pistol, went to investigate and saw a man coming ...

Gun Laws
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Homeowner halts crime spree, KSNV, Las Vegas, Nev. 02/15/16
A man wielding a 12-inch knife attempted to break into several home in Las Vegas, Nev. After unsuccessfully attempting to kick in the doors of several homes, the would-be intruder tried to get into another ...

Gun Laws
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Armed Citizen saves police officer during violent attack, Philadelphia Daily News, Philadelphia, Pa. 02/10/16
An officer was attempting to break up two teens involved in an altercation near Upper Darby High School in Upper Darby Township, Pa. when one of the teens attacked the officer. Soon after, the other ...

Gun Laws
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Man fights off armed robbers outside his home, WFLA, Tampa, Fla. 02/01/16
Luis Enrique Alonso was unloading groceries outside his home in Temple Terrace, Fla. when two men approached, at least one of whom was armed. The robbers grabbed Alonso and threatened him with a gun. Alonso ...

Gun Laws
Friday, February 5, 2016
Alaska man stops thief while exercising his right to permitless carry, Alaska Dispatch News, Anchorage, Alaska, 01/20/16
22-year-old Matthew Willhite was at a shopping mall in Anchorage, Alaska with his girlfriend and her family when he witnessed a thief in a physical altercation with security guards. Willhite went to see if he ...

Gun Laws
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
92-year-old World War II veteran scares off home invader, CBS Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif. 02/01/16
92-year-old World War II veteran Joe Milspa was at home in San Jacinto, Calif. when he heard a suspicious noise. It was a man attempting to break through his door with an ax. Milspa retrieved ...

Gun Laws
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Armed Marine veteran saves deputy, Austin American-Statesman, Austin, Texas, 01/28/16
On January 19, Bastrop County, Texas Deputy Dylan Morris attempted to pull over a vehicle due to the driver’s erratic behavior. The driver did not initially comply, but eventually stopped at a gas station. Once ...

Gun Laws
Monday, February 1, 2016
Armed Citizen shoots pair of robbers, WAVY, Hampton Roads, Va. 01/29/16, WTKR, Hampton Roads, Va. 01/29/16
A pair of men entered a gift card establishment in Hampton, Va. and attempted to rob the store. An employee responded to the threat by retrieving a gun and shooting both thieves, killing one and ...

Gun Laws
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Homeowner fights off armed robbers, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office, St. Tammany Parish, La. 01/25/16
A trio of robbers, at least one of whom was armed with a gun, attempted to con their way into a home in Slidell, La. One of the thieves approached the home and told the ..."

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-27-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The only reason I'm "happy" I found this thread (which I was looking for on the Currents Events forum) is because at least someone cares enough to talk about this tragedy.

It's gotten to the point that, since we have an average of 25 mass shootings per month, people are becoming jaded to the fact that we have such a high rate of violent crime in this country. We hear all the time, "our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims," but that doesn't stop the next guy from buying a gun and murdering more innocent people.
"since we have an average of 25 mass shootings per month"

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Prove it!

Put up or shut up.

And THIS is from the VERY liberal Mother Jones.

A Guide to Mass Shootings in America

There have been at least 75 in the last three-plus decades

A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones

So 25 per month, according to you would be 25 (per month) times 12 (months = 300)

Mother Jones says 75 in the last 3 plus DECADES.

I'll just do 3 decades.

1 decade = 10 years, so 3 decades = 30 years

30 years = 360 MONTHS

75 into 360 = 4.8 PER MONTH.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I know this is going to sound surprising to some, but I don't think mass shootings should be a priority right now. In no way am I saying they are not tragic, but to put it in perspective, mass shootings are way way way down on the list of preventable deaths. For those of us interested in saving lives (like myself), shouldn't we be smart about how we use our limited resources to prevent deaths?

I think mass shooting prevention should get funding proportionate to its harm caused (vs all preventable death causes). Would you agree?
I think you are MISSING the MAIN point of the Op and ALL his/her supporters.

They are NOT interested in saving lives. They ARE interested in doing whatever they can to ban guns.

IF they cared so much about deaths they would be clamoring for MORE stringent laws on things like cars, swimming pools blunt instruments etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies