Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Doesn't bother me that Hollywood, et al, wanted to make this an issue at their awards - it's their award show after all. I was just annoyed because it was brought up again and again and again during the evening. They beat the hell out of that dead horse. Enough already, we get the point.

I agree with both points. I think Angela Bassett's bit was funny and all the reference that should have been made. Most every other reference was tasteless and insulting.

Quote:
But hey, thought Louis CK was funny in his intro to the documentary short category.
Yes, that was funny, although dulled a bit by the fact that it was the winner's second award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why is only Black allowed to play race card?

What about Asians, Latino, Indians and Arabic? I don't see nobody in Hollywood.

Diversity my &$@!!!
One would think Whoopi and Chris Rock were smart enough to notice this.

One thing if Trump wins a lot of Hollywood is out of here......blessings from the Heavens! Plus, from what I am hearing if Trump wins he will destroy everything Obama and Hillary have put in place......I may be changing my vote!

Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I could probably do the calculation myself but I'm decades rusty on stats, and I'm lazy, and I'll be surprised if someone hasn't already done the quick calc.
Ok, I got impatient and did a quick search. I don't know if this is correct, but it is addressing the question:

The chances of no single person of colour being nominated across two ceremonies would be exceptionally small—even during a 15-year span, the odds of seeing at least one sequence of back-to-back whiteouts are around one in 100,000.

Film and race: How racially skewed are the Oscars? | The Economist

And this is interesting: Blacks are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 4,851 times
I'm Canadian and watched the Oscars last night, I was confused about all this race stuff? Why was it being brought up so much, it spoiled the show for me. Maybe the black actors weren't nominated this years because none of them were good enough?

This was all very confusing for me as a Canadian with little to no awareness of contemporary American race relations. I thought the US has a black president? What's his name again, Obooma or something?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Is the controversy just because there were no black nominees for best actor/actress? Or because there were no black nominees for any award category?

In any case, a simplistic statistical calculation could still be done, based simply on the percentage of blacks in the general population. Obviously, if you really want to get more of an explanation of what is happening, you would need to introduce a lot more data into the calc to get a reasonable "expectation", but I'm just looking for the simplistic calc.

I could probably do the calculation myself but I'm decades rusty on stats, and I'm lazy, and I'll be surprised if someone hasn't already done the quick calc.
As I've said before, the Oscar nominations are at the end of the pipe--you'd really have to look at who is going in at the beginning of the pipe: The casting process.

But again, as I've said, before, the Academy is a self-licking ice cream cone. Academy members vote for each other for a variety of very personal reasons, and by no means all about acting performance. Academy politics and the intra-Academy "Social Cause of the Year" frequently influences how members vote, and often robs deserving nominees...who may get the Oscar they deserved for a prior movie the next time they deliver an Oscar-worthy performance (if they get a "next time").

If anything, this is the problem actors of color face: Not getting enough Oscar-worthy roles to overcome the "next time" factor. For instance Don Cheadle has had a couple of Oscar-worthy roles, but doesn't get as many opportunities as, say, Leo DiCaprio (or even Brad Pitt). And that points back to casting.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I've said before, the Oscar nominations are at the end of the pipe--you'd really have to look at who is going in at the beginning of the pipe: The casting process.
[...]
If anything, this is the problem actors of color face: Not getting enough Oscar-worthy roles to overcome the "next time" factor. For instance Don Cheadle has had a couple of Oscar-worthy roles, but doesn't get as many opportunities as, say, Leo DiCaprio (or even Brad Pitt). And that points back to casting.
I agree.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Ok, I got impatient and did a quick search. I don't know if this is correct, but it is addressing the question:

The chances of no single person of colour being nominated across two ceremonies would be exceptionally small—even during a 15-year span, the odds of seeing at least one sequence of back-to-back whiteouts are around one in 100,000.

Film and race: How racially skewed are the Oscars? | The Economist

And this is interesting: Blacks are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.
Those stats are too general to be applied to a specific case. You might as well attempt to apply them to the number of black, Asian, or Hispanic presidents the US has had.

You have to at least start with the percentage of black actors who were actually cast in leading or substantial supporting roles before you decide whether there is a bias problem in Academy nominations.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Oh please, you guys are all complaining that Chris Rock talked about race. Were you seriously surprised? Did you actually think he wouldn't talk about the elephant in the room? It was funny, get a freakin' sense of humor already.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh please, you guys are all complaining that Chris Rock talked about race. Were you seriously surprised? Did you actually think he wouldn't talk about the elephant in the room? It was funny, get a freakin' sense of humor already.
it was funny for the first 5 minutes. it went on all night. the horse was dead.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspie1353 View Post
I'm Canadian and watched the Oscars last night, I was confused about all this race stuff? Why was it being brought up so much, it spoiled the show for me. Maybe the black actors weren't nominated this years because none of them were good enough?

This was all very confusing for me as a Canadian with little to no awareness of contemporary American race relations. I thought the US has a black president? What's his name again, Obooma or something?
because everyone should be included in awards whether they earned it or not. apparently

these poor sad multi millionaires. I don't know how they manage to persevere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies