Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM

68,299 posts, read 54,193,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Many are in jail. The problem is that many of the abused did not report the crime or reported it only to the church. They neglected to report it to the appropriate authorities: the police. The church is not a law enforcement organization; it is a forgiveness organization. When you go to penance to confess a crime, the church has no authority or responsibility to charge you or report you. This is similar to attorney-client privilege or doctor-patient confidentiality. Obviously, the church is going to try and cover it up, just like non-denominational churches have done, and like the Boy Scouts have done, and like schools have done, and like police have done, etc.

If you are the victim of a crime, report it to the police, not to the organiztion your perpetrator was a member of.
Isn't facilitating a criminal enterprise a crime in and of itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:42 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,649,774 times
Because a Black Cassock and a White Collar are get out of jail free cards?

Old 02-29-2016, 01:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,764,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why aren't priests or the entire religion banned? Even to save one child!

Nobody needs religion. Especially high capacity religions like Catholic. Every religion with more than 10 people should be illegal!

Ever heard of the "raping Rabbis" or the Brooklyn Orthodox coverup? Didn't think so.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:47 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Isn't facilitating a criminal enterprise a crime in and of itself?
Yes. This is where the entire thing could have been stopped. If the authorities had prosecuted a higher up that knew of the problem but simply moved the problem elsewhere to continue to commit these crimes it would have made a difference.

So we can blame, priests, the church overall but we also need to blame the authorities that did not do their jobs.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,305,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The movie, "Spotlight," which won the best picture award, brought my attention to the extent of this abuse. I am guessing the numbers we know of, are just the tip of the iceberg! My question is: why were these priest not reported to the law and charged???

-
Vatican reveals how many priests defrocked for sex abuse since 2004 - CBS News
Not only should they be charged and serve jail time they need to be registered sex offenders as well and thrown out of the church not just defrocked.

That 2 Popes condoned this is unbelievable.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:06 PM

68,299 posts, read 54,193,573 times
I haven't kept up with some of this, anyone know if this has been mainly a problem in the US or has it occurred throughout the Catholic world? I just wonder if our belief in separation of church and state has resulted in a (misguided IMO) reticence of the state to prosecute these criminals?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:06 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,050,562 times
I don't know. Why weren't they prosecuted? I would suspect many are in jail.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:09 PM

3,843 posts, read 2,207,863 times
How on earth did this disturbing phenomenon become so common among catholic priests in the first place? Is it cultural?

When I hear these stories that curiosity always lingers in the back of my mind.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:14 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
How on earth did this disturbing phenomenon become so common among catholic priests in the first place? Is it cultural?

When I hear these stories that curiosity always lingers in the back of my mind.
It wasn't common. Probably no higher a rate than teachers. The problem was a lack of prosecution for those who were guilty. There were many not prosecuted that were certainly more offensive than Jared Fogle.

This uneven prosecution is what is wrong with our justice system. Father John rapes a kid and he gets moved across the country. Fogle looks at pics of naked kids and he goes to prison.

Martha Stewart goes to prison. Lloyd Blankfein gets millions of dollars.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,072,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not only should they be charged and serve jail time they need to be registered sex offenders as well and thrown out of the church not just defrocked.

That 2 Popes condoned this is unbelievable.
Yes. Cardinal George pell, is about to be questioned, today ... He did so yesterday. Unsurprising, a range of "forgetfulness". This is a man, who has an important role at the Vatican . He's apparently in charge of the finances. Hope he's not so forgetful in that role.

Cardinal George Pell tells child abuse royal commission Catholic Church made 'enormous mistakes' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies