Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's fascinating how you're just glossing over Happy Texan's post that proves you wrong.
Proves me wrong, how? By posting a 2014 article that said SCOTUS granted Texas an interim stay?
The case is still pending, Texas is still appealing.
Here's a more recent article, from last August:
Appeals Court Strikes Down Key Part of Texas Voter ID Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas recognizes a DL for 2 years after it expires for ID other then voting.
60 days for voting. If what you say is true (?), why the difference?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Proves me wrong, how? By posting a 2014 article that said SCOTUS granted Texas an interim stay?
The case is still pending, Texas is still appealing.
Here's a more recent article, from last August:
Appeals Court Strikes Down Key Part of Texas Voter ID Law

The Supreme Court said Texas could go ahead with their Voter ID law.
Voter ID was required when we voted for Governor or did you forget that ?

So all these disenfranchised voters were also disenfranchised 2 years ago and did NOTHING to fix it.
I have zero sympathy for them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/us...exas-voter-id-
The Supreme Court on Saturday allowed Texas to use its strict voter identification law in the November election. The court’s order, issued just after 5 a.m., was unsigned and contained no reasoning.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
60 days for voting. If what you say is true (?), why the difference?

I drive so I have a current DL. Have no idea why the 60 days.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM

If people still don't have ID's to vote by now then maybe they shouldn't be voting.
Getting turned away each election should be sending them a message ?
Counties sending out postcards informing registered voters of the ID law are being ignored by them ?

How does latest federal ruling affect Texas' voter ID law?
The 2014 district court ruling struck down Texas' voter ID law, but it came just days before the November election. To avoid confusion, the U.S. Supreme Court declared that elections should go forward under the law, and it remains enforced today. Texas, meanwhile, appealed the District Court decision to the 5th Circuit, prompting Wednesday's ruling. Even with the case ongoing, Texas has now conducted three statewide elections under the voter ID law. While there have been anecdotal reports of confusion, there were not widespread issues with voters being unable to cast ballots because they lacked proper identification.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If people still don't have ID's to vote by now then maybe they shouldn't be voting.
Getting turned away each election should be sending them a message ?
Counties sending out postcards informing registered voters of the ID law are being ignored by them ?
Your obfuscation is getting boring. Your right to vote is no more important than is the same right for a US citizen with an expired drivers license or a middle initial that got mistyped on a form. There are descriptive words and categories for people who highly value paperwork, IDs, and bureaucracy. If people don't always carry and display current, proper, and correct IDs, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets and conduct business either. If that shoe fits, claim it and wear it.

SCOTUS will eventually weigh in and I'm content to wait. Their opinion matters, yours doesn't.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-01-2016 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:40 PM

27,116 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
There were problems reported throughout Texas today. Texas has one of the strictest laws in the country and it's been ruled unconstitutional by a federal court but is in effect while the state is appealing.

Jim Wright, 90-year-old former Speaker of the House, was denied a voter id card last year because he had let his drivers license expire.

In today's primary - going by social media - people who tried to vote but couldn't usually fell into one of 3 categories: college students and former military personnel who tried to use their student or non-current military IDs; voters (primarily elderly) whose DLs had expired; and voters whose name on their IDs didn't exactly match the names on their voter registration cards (i.e., on the voter rolls).

There's an example of the last in this news story:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/scattered...lly-the-south\

My name on my drivers license and on my voter id card don't match but I'm 65+ and can vote by mail so don't have to show ID.

Those weren't problems, those are personal failings.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Who was unable to vote?

...........anyone?

Tick tock tick tock...................
Is "disenfranchized" like beinf unfriended on facebook?

I had to show my photo ID and it made me feel unfriended.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
There were problems reported throughout Texas today. Texas has one of the strictest laws in the country and it's been ruled unconstitutional by a federal court but is in effect while the state is appealing.

Jim Wright, 90-year-old former Speaker of the House, was denied a voter id card last year because he had let his drivers license expire.

In today's primary - going by social media - people who tried to vote but couldn't usually fell into one of 3 categories: college students and former military personnel who tried to use their student or non-current military IDs; voters (primarily elderly) whose DLs had expired; and voters whose name on their IDs didn't exactly match the names on their voter registration cards (i.e., on the voter rolls).

There's an example of the last in this news story:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/scattered...lly-the-south\

My name on my drivers license and on my voter id card don't match but I'm 65+ and can vote by mail so don't have to show ID.
"Jim Wright, 90-year-old former Speaker of the House, was denied a voter id card last year because he had let his drivers license expire."

As many on the left say about Shumer and Reid's statements about blocking ANY SC nominee in an election cycle, "Because nothing happened, what they said they would do doesn't count.

Jim wright DIED in May of last year so, he didn't need a voter ID anyway.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
I can't vote until next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies