Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Scapegoating is still scapegoating ... Displaced anger is still ...
And scapegoating only causes more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sadly, promoters of diversity may be even more dangerous.
I disagree. This is why. I don't recall diversity promoters trying to make my life as a Black man harder. While some persons might be short-sighted, I never worry about what a diversity promoter will do to me.

Bigots, on the other hand, are dangerous to me. The Klan, Neo-Nazi types, the type of persons who constantly complain about minorities, Blacks in particular, are dangerous to me. I understand such types would like to see me(and persons like me) go away. One person on C-D admitted to wanting to see my kind go away. Whenever there are those at Trump rallies holding signs like "make America White again", I have much to worry about. I was born and raised in this country. Someone telling me that I should be excluded from America us a threat to me.

And I am going to go on a limb with this. It makes me scared to say this because there are bigots who will take any opportunity to denigrate Blacks, but here goes. Most Black neighborhoods aren't exactly diverse. Guess who has the most to be scared of? Blacks themselves. And it is specifically Black on Black murders. And Black men are the #1 murder victims in the USA. And it is mostly the hood rat sector of the Black population committing the murders. In many cases, Blacks who have little to with crime get killed. Think about the 8 year-old in Chicago who got murdered just for being the son of a rival gang member. Not a criminal. A classic case of sins of the father.

I don't scare easily when it comes to diversity promoters. I have to as who would be the most likely to try and hurt or kill me.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
As long as people keep dividing themselves at the gate with things like "the xyz channel"......"the xyz group"......"the xyz caucus", etc instead of a simple word change like "the human being channel....the human being group.....the human being caucus", it will be the same divided nonsense.

What's most ironic to me is that many who shout the loudest about "we want to be equal/treated equally!!" are often the same people that have no problem playing the dividing game by subdividing themselves into their own segregated groups based on race.
Right on. It really wont end until we dont have racial categories, so its not ending anytime soon.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Right on. It really wont end until we dont have racial categories, so its not ending anytime soon.
Even if we got rid of racial categories, there would still be racism. France doesn't collect data on race. Racism occurs there too. In this country, there has always been a pattern of looking down on people who weren't part of the majority, racial categories or not. Racism in America is as old as America itself. This is why I don't care why there are those who complain about people of a certain race. The problem has existed from day one.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And scapegoating only causes more problems.
Agreed. Scapegoating is fear based magical thinking. It might serve a purpose ... if only to identify when it occurs & call it for what it is - magical thinking, otherwise it's not helpful.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Race relations are good, just ask any NASCAR fan.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
I disagree. This is why. I don't recall diversity promoters trying to make my life as a Black man harder. While some persons might be short-sighted, I never worry about what a diversity promoter will do to me.

Bigots, on the other hand, are dangerous to me. The Klan, Neo-Nazi types, the type of persons who constantly complain about minorities, Blacks in particular, are dangerous to me. I understand such types would like to see me(and persons like me) go away. One person on C-D admitted to wanting to see my kind go away. Whenever there are those at Trump rallies holding signs like "make America White again", I have much to worry about. I was born and raised in this country. Someone telling me that I should be excluded from America us a threat to me.

And I am going to go on a limb with this. It makes me scared to say this because there are bigots who will take any opportunity to denigrate Blacks, but here goes. Most Black neighborhoods aren't exactly diverse. Guess who has the most to be scared of? Blacks themselves. And it is specifically Black on Black murders. And Black men are the #1 murder victims in the USA. And it is mostly the hood rat sector of the Black population committing the murders. In many cases, Blacks who have little to with crime get killed. Think about the 8 year-old in Chicago who got murdered just for being the son of a rival gang member. Not a criminal. A classic case of sins of the father.

I don't scare easily when it comes to diversity promoters. I have to as who would be the most likely to try and hurt or kill me.
Can't disagree with any of this, not even the trepidation by which you made your second major point.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Even if we got rid of racial categories, there would still be racism. France doesn't collect data on race. Racism occurs there too. In this country, there has always been a pattern of looking down on people who weren't part of the majority, racial categories or not. Racism in America is as old as America itself. This is why I don't care why there are those who complain about people of a certain race. The problem has existed from day one.
The purpose of tracking racial categories is to be able to chart what's happening in the real world. Otherwise, there's no data--just anecdotes.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:21 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
I think you're right.

Also think you're right about France although I don't have enough personal experiences. This article seems to provide evidence:

"...The irony of all this is that the French are currently moving forward with an intelligence law that rivals the Patriot Act in its blatant disregard for civil liberties. The French government wants to collect data on almost everything French people think, write or say but - but no data on racism! When it comes to fighting terror, the French know very well that knowledge is power. But when it comes to fighting racism? Data? Knowledge? Not necessary.

Too many French people seem to imagine that if they close their eyes to race, click their heels three times and repeat the words "Liberty", "Equality" and "Brotherhood", the boogeyman of racism will simply vanish and disappear. No systematic data or policies necessary. Only pretty, magical, colorblind words."

France's Approach to Fighting Racism: Pretty Words and Magical Thinking

Old 03-16-2016, 05:01 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If you had 20 more years to post on this one topic you wouldn't change residinghere's mind. Or mine. Or any reasonable inhabitant of planet earth. But do continue. Watching you work reminds me why I am Liberal and need to stay that way.
Agreed. He seems to think if he keeps posting essentially the same thing a dozen times he will change our minds. Even the thread itself -- at least this part of it -- is a total rehash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies