Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ69 View Post
its shameful to be one....
I guess that depends on how one defines what is shameful, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And in my experiences of dating republicans in the past, something always came up that would end the relationship & these things were the basis of political affiliation. After dating these people & having these experiences, I choose not to date republicans.
Care to elaborate?

I can't think of many political views that I have that would cause me not to date someone just because they think the opposite way....

Old 03-11-2016, 05:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Consider this issue that is very important to me:

-The natural environment (to include wildlife conservation, protection/prevention from severe weather events, pollution, environmental degredation). -- The Republican party still wants to undermine these things. They are so pro business, dismissive of science, of the EPA, and all their candidates vow to set any progress backward.

That I know some Republicans who also value the environment means F-all when they'll vote for Republican politicians to come in and speed up the destruction of the earth.

I could go down the rest of my list of values and find Republican leadership at odds with most of it. A long-term relationship with a confirmed, voting Republican would be a life of arguments and disgust for me.

Still can't fathom?
Precisely.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Care to elaborate?

I can't think of many political views that I have that would cause me not to date someone just because they think the opposite way....
A couple things, including disgust of gays (my best friend is gay), insulting towards blacks & the homeless, not giving two hoots about the environment. These are things that I will not & cannot condone.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Trump is even ruining his followers' love lives apparently (of course, that is if they had one to begin with. He may be attracting those loner types who go postal.

"...If they support their party’s front-runner Donald Trump, they have a three-in-four chance of being turned down from going on a first date — and that’s even if they’re willing to pay for it...Supporters of evangelical runner-up Ted Cruz only have a 38 percent chance of going on a paid date...Espousing conservative values is stigmatized, she says. The perception is that those who do are uptight, cheap and intolerant..."

Why your dates may be lying about being Republican | The Colorado Independent

Old 03-11-2016, 06:03 PM

19,841 posts, read 12,102,488 times
I never trust unsupported claims. A new dating site where people buy a date or get paid to go on a date makes claims regarding political viewpoints during an election year yet they do not show the questions nod do they account for numbers of responses. Clickbait articles. Whatever.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
A couple things, including disgust of gays (my best friend is gay), insulting towards blacks & the homeless, not giving two hoots about the environment. These are things that I will not & cannot condone.
Asinine.
I can name 50 republicans right now who would be just as appalled.

Being an ahole is not a political view.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Asinine.

I think stan4's comment cuts to the heart of it. thefragile, the things you listed are personality traits that you don't find favorable, and not necessarily mandates of being a party faithful. As A Republican, you probably would figure me for a Jesus freak. Not true. While I do have a strong appreciation for one's right to believe in fairy tales, and would defend that right as any other, I am an Atheist.

Also, as a Republican, I cannot think of anything that I could care less about than soeomones sexual orientation. stan4 himself said he was gay, and has Conservative leanings, and frankly, I'm happy to have him in my corner. Another notable gay Republican is Guy Benson.

I also have an appreciation for conservation of wildlife and the natural environment, because that's the responsible thing to do. I don't hunt but I also don't think there's anything wrong with having responsible laws on the books that allow for hunting, etc.

Long story short, it's best not to paint with too brioad a brush. Republicans are made up of all different types of people, same with Democrats.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think stan4's comment cuts to the heart of it. thefragile, the things you listed are personality traits that you don't find favorable, and not necessarily mandates of being a party faithful. As A Republican, you probably would figure me for a Jesus freak. Not true. While I do have a strong appreciation for one's right to believe in fairy tales, and would defend that right as any other, I am an Atheist.

Also, as a Republican, I cannot think of anything that I could care less about than soeomones sexual orientation. stan4 himself said he was gay, and has Conservative leanings, and frankly, I'm happy to have him in my corner. Another notable gay Republican is Guy Benson.

I also have an appreciation for conservation of wildlife and the natural environment, because that's the responsible thing to do. I don't hunt but I also don't think there's anything wrong with having responsible laws on the books that allow for hunting, etc.

Long story short, it's best not to paint with too brioad a brush. Republicans are made up of all different types of people, same with Democrats.
Shrug, I choose not to date republicans. That's my choice.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Why not? I am sure there are plenty of married couples out there were on any given time one may vote for a Repub while the other votes for a Dem.
Which doesn't prove it's a good idea. Better to build a relationship on shared values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies