Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,604,458 times

Advertisements

It's always good to blow out the pipes from time to time.

-Churchill

"Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,041,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Young voters have typically gone Democrat and then switched to Republican as they age. I don't think that's as much a key as the changing ethnicity in the USA...Republicans must win Asian and/or Hispanic voters or die a slow death. Last election cycle, Republicans gained much more support from Asians, not sure how, but they will need to continue doing that to survive.
As a Democrat, I love responses like this one. First of all, because it's simply not true. Research shows that people actually become more liberal with age, not more conservative:

Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age

And secondly, because it shows a party that is willing to write off the largest generation in history rather than adapt to a changing world.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:58 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The future of the GOP is nonexistent --unless DONALD J. TRUMP wins the nomination and becomes our next president.

He is the ONLY candidate who has broad appeal not only to Republicans, but to Independents and Democrats.

And yes -- honestly -- it has a lot to do with White People getting fed up with political correctness (which equals hatred of white people and nothing more) and forced demographic changes cheered on by the Democrats who want votes and the Republicans who want cheap labor.

We either remain a First World Country that honors individual freedom, personal responsibility, promotion on the basis of merit, and equality of opportunity, OR we turn into a Third World Hell-Hole.

Take your pick.....

I know what I'm in favor of....

And it ain't becoming a Third World hell-hole.

Canada should thank me.

I'm not voting for THEIR borders eventually turning into a sieve after this country has been ruined -- as it surely WILL BE if The Donald is not elected -- TWICE in 2016 and 2020!
Whooo! Such drama! Hell hole and all…

Its funny. I live in what's probably the most conservative state in the nation, but I don't see a hell hole.

In fact, things are pretty much the same here as they were in 2000. People are still going around leading their lives in peace here, and everywhere else I've visited over the past 16 years. Folks are still falling in love, having babies, getting divorced, getting a job, losing a job, griping about everything and celebrating everything, just as they have always done all my life.

If there's a looming hell hole, it's pretty damned faint.

It's like a comment Bill Gates recently made. He said some people run around crying wolf too much. Wolf, wolf wolf! And sure enough, there's always a damned wolf. Trouble comes. No need to yell about it.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:01 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As a Democrat, I love responses like this one. First of all, because it's simply not true. Research shows that people actually become more liberal with age, not more conservative:

Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age

And secondly, because it shows a party that is willing to write off the largest generation in history rather than adapt to a changing world.
Meh.
I'm part of that generation, and we are dying off faster every year. By 2020, there won't be nearly as many of us who are still vertical and sucking wind. Our day is past. We're all gazing at the west but just haven't noticed the sun is setting yet.

That's because we always thought we were pretty special. And immortal.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:08 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
This is nothing more than a shake up. Some of it delights Republicans. Some of lt makes Democrats giddy.

Both parties are due for such a shaking. Republicans have been unhappy. Are the Democrats ready for such a storm? I doubt it. Democrats are just ready for Hillary, and mainly because she's a Democrat, not because she's the best one for the job. Maybe its about making history again.

Not to be mean, but I really believe the hardcover Democrat voters would pull for a ham sandwich over a rueben, because there is an "R" in the name.

Party above all else seemingly.
I would pull the lever for a ham sandwich so long as it was not on the Republican ticket. You bet! Anything to keep the republicans out of office.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,419,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Whooo! Such drama! Hell hole and all…

Its funny. I live in what's probably the most conservative state in the nation, but I don't see a hell hole.
Maybe that's because you live in the most conservative state in the nation.

Quote:
It's like a comment Bill Gates recently made. He said some people run around crying wolf too much. Wolf, wolf wolf! And sure enough, there's always a damned wolf. Trouble comes. No need to yell about it.
Famous last words.

"It's not happening here, so everything is fine."

Old 03-12-2016, 07:05 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I think anyone with a brain can tell the GOP of today will not be the GOP of the future. From what I can see the libertarian wing and the Religious Right have been thoroughly discredited with the base and aren't really going to play a major role in the future. The Religious Right has suffered a massive shellacking over the past eight years and the decline in religion is obviously going to weaken their hold even further, Donald Trump's popularity with Evangelicals despite his highly questionable behavior (bragging about having affairs with married women) is a testament to how far its influence has fallen. Libertarian policies are extremely toxic with the base and almost no one wants to see open borders, free trade, or unfettered capitalism.

Where do you see the GOP heading? Personally, I think the GOP will become a "national conservative" party and begin to emphasize white identity politics (opposing immigration and political correctness) and mixed economic policies (such as reducing H1Bs and reducing corporate power). Europe and especially Israel have been trending towards national conservatism and I think it is a very strong possibility that the GOP will head this way in the future if income inequality continues to worsen. I didn't mention the neoconservatives at all because they have already been thoroughly discredited with the base and haven't really played a major role in foreign policy discussions anymore.
"I think anyone with a brain can tell the GOP of today will not be the GOP of the future."

I think anyone with a brain knows that the repub pasty is NOT the same party as it was in 1864. or 1964, etc.

I think anyone with a brain knows the SAME goes for the dem party.

" From what I can see the libertarian wing and the Religious Right have been thoroughly discredited with the base and aren't really going to play a major role in the future."

Take of your blinders and you might see more.

"The Religious Right has suffered a massive shellacking over the past eight years"

It has NOT.

You obviously have a dislike for religion.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's very hard to try to predict anything.
Historically the GOP became a rump party after FDR's election for his first two terms when Democrats were elected to huge majorities in both houses, but the GOP came back into a solid minority in the 1938 election once more, and kept its strength as the minority party afterwards until the 1952 election, when Ike won the White House for them.

During the Civil War, the Democratic party split in two, north and south, and the northern Democrats also became a rump party for the following 12 years. During that time, the Democratic party reunited as the Whig party, another rump party, faded away. Some former Whigs went Democratic, more of the others went Republican.

I fully expect another Democratic win this November. After 12 years out of the White House, I think the GOP will settle their internal differences, but won't be as moderate as it was in the late 20th century. They will learn to compromise, though, at least to the point to where the government won't be funded by crisis avoidance any more.
What in the world is a "rump" party?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Young voters, as they grow older and mature, often change their views.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
That will require concessions that few Republicans can stomach. I can't imagine the Republican base ever getting on board with Affirmative Action. The Republicans small government and pro business platform did not attract a significant number of Blacks in the early 1930s-1950s even when Southern Democrats like Theodore Bilbo were advocating deporting Blacks and stripping their citizenship away.
As more and more blacks enter the workforce in professional jobs, I think AA will die on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies