Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Now that it is hitting the middle class techies instead of poor folks something may actually get done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
I really don't see what the problem is here. An open border is good for new immigrants, but pretty bad for existing ones. We need to assimilate these people and have them participae in a society that is something a little better than under subsistence wages. We did this before. We let people in and then we closed the doors and assimilated. Look like the plan is to import more people an win concession politically. The latter case will fail horribly because that is what welfare states do.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I agree with your point. However this is likely due to the fact that our economy isn't doing the best. When our economy picks up again, this is likely to go into reverse. I would like a lasting solution to this issue.
Yep. We can't have much impact until we go after the companies doing the hiring.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I was 48 years old when I roofed my house last. I didn't have a problem, but I've done work like that my entire life besides working shift work at my regular job. Jobs that no one else wanted paid a lot of college tuition for my kids. But yeah, my son and I were roofing our house. My millennial neighbors were coming over an absolutely amazed we were doing this. I told them..come on up the ladder and I'll teach you. There is no way you should be paying someone else to do a simple job like this. ANYONE can roof a house if you can get used to the height and the pitch of the roof, it just takes time to get comfortable with it.

Nope, they hired the Mexican crews to do it. I'm not judging them at all, I understand that it's not a fun job. But this is why the problem exists. If Americans only were being paid union wages (like it should be) to do these jobs people would do more for themselves.

In my state if you don't have a licensed roofer and the roof falls in insurance wont cover it - so still got to pay someone

Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
This is and remains absurd. There is no way on earth that you will ever get sanctions for hiring illegals that are not known to be illegal. It is not going to happen ever. And the use of sub contractors makes it easy to isolate big operations from the illegals. As well the dishwasher not on the payroll in a restaurant is an American tradition.

The wall is again nonsense. Wait until you tell all those Texans that they can no longer access the Rio Grande. So you build the wall and you end up with 500 miles of open water.

In fact the choices are legalization or the status quo. The status quo will leave us vulnerble to another large increment in illegals if the economies go in the wrong direct.

In general the base of the anti-illegal movement is immigration suicide...and they are proud of it.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
We can't even get legislation passed to do repairs on our crumbling infrastructure, but we should squander tens of billions of dollars on a wall? And that's just for the initial build. Then there will be the ongoing maintenance which will cost additional billions. Meanwhile, our bridges are falling down, but there's no money to fix them.

So Trump fans, where is the money for this going to come from? And don't say the Mexicans will pay for it, as they have pretty emphatically said otherwise. Are you willing to foot a hefty tax increase to fund it?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
We can't even get legislation passed to do repairs on our crumbling infrastructure, but we should squander tens of billions of dollars on a wall? And that's just for the initial build. Then there will be the ongoing maintenance which will cost additional billions. Meanwhile, our bridges are falling down, but there's no money to fix them.

So Trump fans, where is the money for this going to come from? And don't say the Mexicans will pay for it, as they have pretty emphatically said otherwise. Are you willing to foot a hefty tax increase to fund it?
Tax the Jews. They got money.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
What do you think about building a wall?
Not much, it reminds of the last silly season's conservative chant, "Drill Here, Drill Now!" - notice oil prices lately?

The "Great Wall of Drumpf" faces innumerable problems concerning border treaties, private property rights, endangered species, animal migration, and signifiant geological obstacles all of which come at a significant price tag, if they can be overcome.

My liberal solution, kill the demand for illegal workers. Enact severe penalties for employers who hire illegal immigrants. Kill of demand and supply will follow.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:44 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
OK OK lets suppose we stopped all illegal immigration from coming in - 50 foot walls -snakes - acid showers-- the whole works then? What re you expecting to happen? NO MORE illegals can come in no drugs not children nada- like old Germany soldiers everywhere ready to shoot-- what then? what is phase 2? because this effort will take no less then 10 yrs and a whole lot of taxes!!! right now they screaming the spring breakers held up at airports with a slow TSA - because they have scaled back in hires as you all wanted--- smaller govt you all cry-- so what is the real plan and by when?

Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
OK OK lets suppose we stopped all illegal immigration from coming in - 50 foot walls -snakes - acid showers-- the whole works then? What re you expecting to happen? NO MORE illegals can come in no drugs not children nada- like old Germany soldiers everywhere ready to shoot-- what then? what is phase 2? because this effort will take no less then 10 yrs and a whole lot of taxes!!! right now they screaming the spring breakers held up at airports with a slow TSA - because they have scaled back in hires as you all wanted--- smaller govt you all cry-- so what is the real plan and by when?
Simply brand the word illegal on the forehead of everyone Specifications Edit

caught. Second time cut off a foot. People will soon stop coming. Of course I can already hear the liberals whining about cruel and unusual punishment.

Last edited by whogo; 03-14-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies