Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
The religion itself became corrupted by Rome very early on. The Catholic Church is essentially a corporation. Paul who said "He who doesn't work should not eat" (which could just as easily apply to rich investors and trust fund kids) probably didn't help either with making Christianity more militant.

Jesus is about as left wing as you can get. Was he hanging out with the rich and famous that GOP voters idolize? No, he was hanging out with the homeless, poor, autistics, prostitutes, and tax collectors while he wasn't building people cabinets and letting them wash their feet. He even said "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" so he had no problem with government taxation per se or at the very least did not advise his followers to confront the government.
LOL, that's got to be the biggest distortion I've ever seen.

First off all, when you say that "Jesus was about as left wing as you can get", the correct qualifier to put on the end of that observation would be "for his day"..... No doubt he'd be considered a radical conservative today. And yes, he helped the poor, homeless, etc. just as many Conservatives willingly give to charities today. He hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors to tell them the error of their ways, those he considered most in need of His direction, not to sympathize with them or justify their depravity like todays liberals might. And yes, he told his followers to give Caesar what was Caesars, but recognizing that one had to obey the laws of man to get along in the world are a far cry from an endorsement of those laws.

Nice try.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
But it is voluntary, through democracy.
LOL, you certainly are good with linguistic gymnastics, I'll give you that, but your reasoning only works on people who are intellectually challenged.

If two wolves and a sheep get stranded on a desert island and decide to govern themselves democratically, and then the two wolves vote to eat the sheep for dinner, was that voluntary on the sheep's part?
Quote:
Are you against public schools
No, but then, everyone benefits from public schools. That's not a "re-distribution" of wealth or "charity"
Quote:
and think every road should be a toll road?
No, but when the government takes my money to build a road, I can then drive on that road, and so can everyone else. Try again.
Quote:
Because that is a form of government welfare too
No, it's not. It would be government welfare, in the sense that you're talking about, only if some people paid and other people benefited, but that is not the case.
Quote:
having free schools and roads.
#1, Neither are "free". Everyone pays for them in the form of taxes. #2. In return, everyone benefits from them.
Quote:
So is the national defense budget. Why is it okay to "steal" money from taxpayers for nuclear missiles but not for preventing kids from starving?
Again, everyone benefits from having a national defense, from having a secure country.

You're batting 1000.....

Old 03-15-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The only time Jesus ever got violent was against the "moneychangers" at the temple.

Today those "moneychangers" are the 'too big to fail' banks and the Federal Reserve that promotes their theft and greed.
Yet, many "religious" right wingers seem to support Government theft and taxation when it goes to these banks in the form of bailouts and Fed stimulus programs-allowing them to grow larger and monopolize the financial industry, but oppose it when it goes to the poorest and most vulnerable Americans.

That's about as hypocritical as one can get.
LOL, yet another distortion. Jesus didn't get violent with the moneychangers "because" they were moneychangers, as you are attempting to imply, he got violent with them because they were defiling the temple.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
That's an interesting question. I want to bring the point of view of an European, here in Italy we had the Christian Democrats.

They usually were a bit of a catch all party with the most leftist deputees and government they had formed usually favouring such policies while the most conservative ones favoured capitalism but never to the extent it is in the USA. Several former Christian Democrats have played a large role inside the center left once the party vanished but in the same way several others flowed in the center right.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Very funny. Jesus was as far from left-wing as one could get. He hung out with those people and told them about their sins and how to be free from them. When he wasn't healing them and performing miracles, he was preaching to them and telling them to take responsibility for their lives and pay their taxes. Something liberals clearly have never enjoyed doing.
So then Bernie is either the second coming or a prophet. I guess Jesus was an independent who caucused with the liberals...

Old 03-15-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
LOL, yet another distortion. Jesus didn't get violent with the moneychangers "because" they were moneychangers, as you are attempting to imply, he got violent with them because they were defiling the temple.
That's an possible yet slanted interpretation, but considering the wording, "robbers den", I think it has further implications.
13And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."

Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
LOL, you certainly are good with linguistic gymnastics, I'll give you that, but your reasoning only works on people who are intellectually challenged.

If two wolves and a sheep get stranded on a desert island and decide to govern themselves democratically, and then the two wolves vote to eat the sheep for dinner, was that voluntary on the sheep's part?
How does one compare animals to humans? Maybe the sheep is packing....

Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regorde View Post
I just read post complaining that the government was going top much stuff for free, like healthcare, diapers or water.

Since Christianity mostly accepts that charity is an important part of being Christian, why are they grouped with Republicans/capitalists in politics?
Huh?

Why isn't capitalism "Christian," in your opinion? I have to ask, are you Christian? My guess is no, based on your question.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Because Jesus didn't like gays, homosexuals, transvestites and gay marriage is an abomination. Oh yeah and the Estate Tax is baaad. And Jesus don't appreciate you taken my guns. And tax breaks for the wealthiest will trickle to you. And Most importantly Jesus didn't approve of no sinnin' liberals.
Typical response from the godless, leftist, atheist wing.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
oops --- wrong Jesus. Oh well. Carry on anyway.
There is no point in arguing with that kind of idiocy. We can only hope that one day he will realize he is lost and come to Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies