Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,617,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm 47 years old. When I was a kid, jobs at McDonalds were jobs for single people and high school kids. They weren't considered real jobs. Nobody ever considered raising a family on a fast food cashiers salary.

But they didn't have to consider it. Why? Because there were enough "real" jobs. Jobs that paid well, factory jobs, jobs in manufacturing, etc, that they didn't bother doing a "kids job".

Everything was made here back then. In 40 years, we have allowed our politicians in collusion with big business to completely decimate the manufacturing base in America. Those of us that remember those days would like to at least attempt to get back to something resembling what we used to have. I would imagine, those of us that aren't old enough to remember that have no idea what I am talking about.

If you bring manufacturing jobs back, you wont have to worry about paying someone $15 dollars an hour to flip burgers because the only people doing that will be kids working for some extra spending money, as it was meant to be.
Also, keep in mind that during the late 80's-when i was a teen working, the most expensive thing i had to pay for was cigarettes at $2 a pack and the occasional rock concert tickets. Kids tofay have those dang smartphones, ipads and all that junk, and it alone is costing them at least $200 a month, not to mention fancy cars, expensive doony bags (sp?). Kids today, sadly have no concept of living within thier means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Also, keep in mind that during the late 80's-when i was a teen working, the most expensive thing i had to pay for was cigarettes at $2 a pack and the occasional rock concert tickets. Kids tofay have those dang smartphones, ipads and all that junk, and it alone is costing them at least $200 a month, not to mention fancy cars, expensive doony bags (sp?). Kids today, sadly have no concept of living within thier means.
Phones/electronics are not the problem-they actually have significantly decreased in cost and may be the only palpable benefit to gutting our manufacturing base/unions and having Americans in direct competition with near slave labor across the globe. Education, Healthcare, Housing have all exploded in cost while wages have been flat since the 1970's.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-15-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly--Germany is an example of a nation that protected their workers and manufacturing base. Today while the US has the largest trade deficit on Earth, Germany has a trade surplus second to only China and often surpassing it.

Some real eye opening facts here:

The 40-Year Slump
Interesting article, thanks & respect. I like that it ends on a hopeful albeit challenging note:

"...The extinction of a large and vibrant American middle class isn’t ordained by the laws of either economics or physics. Many of the impediments to creating anew a broadly prosperous America are ultimately political creations that are susceptible to political remedy. ..."

The purpose of a remedy is to cure ...

& Germany is a great example of a Nation who considered it a priority to protect its workers. It's an integral part of the economic theory in practice for at least the same 40 years, most likely even longer:

"Ordoliberal theory holds that the state must create a proper legal environment for the economy and maintain a healthy level of competition (rather than just "exchange") through measures that adhere to market principles. This is the foundation of its legitimacy.[8] The concern is that, if the state does not take active measures to foster competition, firms with monopoly (or oligopoly) power will emerge, which will not only subvert the advantages offered by the market economy, but also possibly undermine good government, since strong economic power can be transformed into political power."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordoliberalism

Some folks may not appreciate wikipedia, so be it, IMHO this page contains a pretty adequate introduction.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Please tell me this is not a serious question?
It should be. A large portion of manufacturing jobs require little to no training or can go through on the job training. Why should they get livable wages if people who prepare food you and your families ingest don't? Both have purpose. Both can have value. If someone works a job for 40 hours shouldn't they be able to provide for themselves and one other person? Or is that for someone else to dictate to them?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:27 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Whine whine whine. The boomer generation voted that idiot actor into power. They also voted an idiot into power who started 2 wars without budgeting. They also are the ones who caused the housing bubble.

Personally I think a large portion of the fiscal problems on millennials nowadays are the result of bad policies of the prior generations. I think the boomer generation needs to learn from their parents, sacrifice a bit and pay down our national debt.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Whine whine whine. The boomer generation voted that idiot actor into power. They also voted an idiot into power who started 2 wars without budgeting. They also are the ones who caused the housing bubble.

Personally I think a large portion of the fiscal problems on millennials nowadays are the result of bad policies of the prior generations. I think the boomer generation needs to learn from their parents, sacrifice a bit and pay down our national debt.
You've got your generations mixed up.
If that poster was a teen in the late 80s, that would make him gen X. Not a boomer.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:20 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
It should be. A large portion of manufacturing jobs require little to no training or can go through on the job training. Why should they get livable wages if people who prepare food you and your families ingest don't? Both have purpose. Both can have value. If someone works a job for 40 hours shouldn't they be able to provide for themselves and one other person? Or is that for someone else to dictate to them?
You have no clue. I work in manufacturing......it takes close to 5 years to become really proficient in the job. The company makes sure that there are always people with this experience working with those with less.

If someone forgets to hold the ketchup, the burger is simply tossed and another made. If someone does the wiring of a car wrong it ends up as a major expense to fix it.

Cashiers don't even have to be able to add any more.....they just hit a button. Fast food is, was and will always be an entry level job where people get basic experience in a job scenario. The problem is NOT that McD's does not pay enough, the problem is running off the jobs that do.

I'm certainly not going to get up at 6 a.m. working for the city on a Sunday to fix your broken water pipe if I can get paid the same to go in later to simply take your order.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:

Now this part I agree with.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
Yes! It does matter. a 5 year apprenticeship as a electrical engineer should not be forced to make the same amount of money as a cashier at Walmart who watched a 15 min video on how to make change
Says who? Not the "market." If you're okay w/ ignoring the costs of living argument for McD's workers b/c that same skillset can be found for cheaper, then you should have no problems ignoring it for an electrical engineer if those skillsets can be found for cheaper too.

Conservatives are the ones that pushed the "market" as the only thing that matters for wages, so stop crying about how the "market" puts American workers at a disadvantage.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Says who? Not the "market."
Actually that is what "the market" does. Do you know any electrical engineers who make minimum wage? Government does not prevent them from being paid minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies