Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

The former 12 mile limit was set in the day of ships' guns having that range. Most countries have instituted a "economic exclusionary zone" to control fishing in these regions. Argentina was exercising their authority within the 200 mile limit.

The Chinese captain made the mistake of attacking an armed military vessel with a, presumably, unarmed fishing boat. The Arginine Captain responded by eliminating the threat to his vessel and the fishing zone. As required by laws that go back to the beginning of time, the Argentine Captain rescued the sailors aboard the sinking boat. The Chinese can go fish off their own shore and leave the rest of the world to fish off theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
They'll find it laying on the bottom right beside the General Belgrano.

Argentina had better have all their ducks in a row to show just cause to satisfy the Chinese....if not they can expect a long period of looking over their shoulders while at sea.

Argentinian flagged vessels sailing anywhere near Chinese waters should perhaps use due diligence.

Arggies aren't known for their common sense when it comes to poking a stick in the eye of a vastly superior military power.
They tend to miscalculate, like when they invaded the Falklands they were convinced that the British would just roll over and let them takeover the islands. They believed that the international community would stop the British from retaking the islands, and that there was no way the Royal Navy could operate that far from the UK itself.

How wrong they were ... as the ARA General Belgrano will attest to.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The Chineses ship with within an "economic exclusion zone that extends 200 miles" off Argentina's shores. By what authority? I was under the impression that international waters start at the 12 mile range. Sounds like an act of war.

eta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone
You're right; the limit is 12 nautical miles. But that limit only applies to surface water. I would have to talk to some of my coworkers that are more versed in naval operations than I am, but I think an underlying reason is to protect against submarines.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:02 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Back in the 1990s, a Canadian government patrol boat (an armed one) arrested the crew of a Spanish fishing boat that was in international waters, just beyond the Canadian limits.

The kerfuffle was dubbed the Turbot War. Wikipedia's got an article on it. Peace prevailed...
This seems to be pretty common actually, way back when there was the "Cod War" in the 1960s and 70s between the UK and Iceland where Royal Navy warships and armed patrol vessels of the UK Marine & Fisheries Agency exchanged gunfire with Icelandic Coast Guard vessels.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Warning shots were fired and the Chinese turned off their lights and began colliding with the Coast Guard vessel. They're lucky they were rescued instead of letting them go down with their sinking ship.
maritime law requires that all ships come to the aid of any ship in distress during times of peace, regardless of which two countries are involved and for what reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The former 12 mile limit was set in the day of ships' guns having that range. Most countries have instituted a "economic exclusionary zone" to control fishing in these regions. Argentina was exercising their authority within the 200 mile limit.

The Chinese captain made the mistake of attacking an armed military vessel with a, presumably, unarmed fishing boat. The Arginine Captain responded by eliminating the threat to his vessel and the fishing zone. As required by laws that go back to the beginning of time, the Argentine Captain rescued the sailors aboard the sinking boat. The Chinese can go fish off their own shore and leave the rest of the world to fish off theirs.
well said.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
The ChiComms and the Japanese regularly fish in restricted waters. They've been doing it to the US for years (especially the Japanese) and we regularly do nothing about it. They've even fished, illegally, inside the 12 mile limit and we do nothing about it.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
maybe we should take the Coast Guard off drug interdiction and task them with enforcing our fishing laws before the Japs and others mine out all of our fish.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
maritime law requires that all ships come to the aid of any ship in distress during times of peace, regardless of which two countries are involved and for what reason.
Thank you, rbohm. I failed to add an emoticon to signal sarcasm when posting they were lucky the Argentinians saved them.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
maybe we should take the Coast Guard off drug interdiction and task them with enforcing our fishing laws before the Japs and others mine out all of our fish.
The Japs? LMAO how did that make it passed the PC filters of the 21st century.

I'm feeling so microaggressed, I need to go lay down in my safespace for awhile.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Argentina sinks Chinese fishing vessel - CNN.com

some might say this is an act of war.

Thoughts?
Just more Chinese hypocrisy.

They openly violate other nations' maine territory while attempting to manufacture their own by building up sand spits in the South China Sea and then claiming large areas of open ocean as Chinese territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies