Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 06:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Of course, he likely admired him for his inability to remain faithful in a marriage commitment.
Everyone knew... They named his presidency Came-A-Lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Everyone knew... They named his presidency Came-A-Lot.
Very clever observation but only the top echelons of the Kennedy administration, the press and the secret service knew of JFK's dalliances. The public was completely in the dark. I first read about them in 1967 in an issue of the Realist magazine. See link.

The Parts That Were Left Out of the Kennedy Book by Paul Krassner (The Realist No. 74, May 1967)

Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
????? Are you kidding? Liberals practically declared him a saint.

The people who voted him in were the people who fought WWII.
"Liberals" by 1960's definition. 21st century US liberals would call JFK a right wing zealot. JFK proposed massive tax cuts for the rich, hated communism and was a devout Christian, all things modern liberals despise.

Modern Democrats Would View John F. Kennedy As A Reaganite Extremist

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 PM

409 posts, read 258,686 times
1960: Ask not what your country can do for you..
2016: How much free stuff is my country going to give me?

I don't think he'd go over well.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:30 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I'm curious as to where you went to high school? In my high school, an announcement came over the PA that we were to return to our homerooms. That was in the middle of the last class of the day. Then a recording of a radio broadcast was played over the PA system announcing Kennedy's death. Almost instantly, the girls broke down and wept- some uncontrollably. The boys sat there stunned. No one laughed.
I was in 7th grade in suburban Houston that day and we all cheered; our parents all hated Kennedy (and Johnson), believed that at best they were unreconstructed New Deal Democrats; my parents and our neighbors were John Birchers who believed that the Democrats were trying to give the country to the blacks and finally to the Soviets.

They got mad at me when I insisted on watching the funeral, which utterly fascinated me. I remember so much of it, especially the riderless horse with the boots turned backwards, being led behind the caisson, and the lighting of the eternal flame at the graveside.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
As far as I can tell, JFK seems to be the last (or one of the last) US Presidents that didn't bring about absolute hate from the other side.

So I wonder, if he were POTUS now, would he have been as loved?

JFK was president before the welfare state, affirmative action, abortion on demand, same-sex marriage, the politically correct military, terrorism on US soil, trade deficits, a near-zero fed funds rate, expanded involvement in other people`s wars, effectively open borders, free trade with Mexico and China, H1-b Visas, falling wages, bank bailouts, domestic spying, EPA, DOE, Medicaid, war heroes on a DHS watch list, abandonment of our vets by the VA, etc.

Where exactly would you expect him to fit into the political landscape?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
1960: Ask not what your country can do for you..
2016: How much free stuff is my country going to give me?

I don't think he'd go over well.
Kennedy would probably say raise the top tax rate to 50%(since he only lowered it to 65%), use the extra revenue to pay for college( you know, like he said in in 1963).

JFK would probably wonder how in the world the nation went so far right wing.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
"Liberals" by 1960's definition. 21st century US liberals would call JFK a right wing zealot. JFK proposed massive tax cuts for the rich, hated communism and was a devout Christian, all things modern liberals despise.

Modern Democrats Would View John F. Kennedy As A Reaganite Extremist
That's absolutely as skewed a view as the saint JFK that was promoted after his murder.

JFK proposed those tax cuts because taxes had been set very high to pay off war debt, which had been largely paid off by the time he ran. I believe the top marginal rate was 90% or so, which he cut to about 70%. As a liberal, I think that's still a bit high, I think 50% would be better (it's just under 40% today). And it is a liberal principle to keep taxes sufficiently high to pay for elective wars, rather than borrow because you expect the war to pay for itself.

Yes, he did hate communist tyrants. I don't know that he was particularly upset by government social programs though. And he obviously approved of massive public works projects.

And how devout was he, really? His nearly-obsessive philandering is not sanctioned by any christian denomination that I know of. There's no evidence that his conscience was ever bothered by his womanizing.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-18-2016 at 10:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Kennedy would probably say raise the top tax rate to 50%(since he only lowered it to 65%), use the extra revenue to pay for college( you know, like he said in in 1963).

JFK would probably wonder how in the world the nation went so far right wing.

How many people went to college in 1963?

What aspects of American life are "right-wing" relative to 1963?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
From all the comments here, it looks like everyone really liked JFK. Nice to see.

Everyone liked Ike too.

It was the era more than the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies