Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times

Advertisements

Guardian UK newspaper article

Here's a typical article about this plan, from the Guardian UK newspaper's website. Reader comments are below the story. Comments like this are typical:

Quote:
The world has so many beautiful places to see, it´s time that tourists shift their attention to other holiday destinations. For the summer, Australia,Tahiti, Indonesia are so much prettier then California. For the winter, why not a ski holiday to the Alps or a walk at the Andes Mountains? Let´s face the truth, there is nothing special about the US, not even the food! People from that country want to be left alone, so let´s spend our pounds where the host country welcome us!
Quote:
I travel to the US regularly on business and if this goes through it will have a material effect on the ability of my company to compete in the US market. Sometimes, we must travel at short notice to compete for business.
Quote:
The message to outsiders is a bit mixed isn't it? On one hand I'm seeing for adds on TV promoting tourism to the States (e.g. the California add with Arnie) and on the other there are these (potential) new measures. Does the US establishment want us to come and spend money on holidays, or to keep out? I'm confused
Quote:
I have spent years defending America against the quite unreasonable amount of anti-American feeling in this country, but the whole issue of travel to the US has finally made my patience snap... It also appears quite acceptable to use the UK as a military ally, but not to view its population as anything more than a potential terrorist threat. I resent that assumption deeply.
Quote:
I used to travel regularly to East Germany before the Berlin Wall came down. The border security check was stringent, but by no means as senselessly thorough and intrusive as entering the US now.
Quote:
boycott that stupid country. maybe sooner or later they'll get the message.
Quote:
They used to call the Soviet Union "Upper Volta with missiles". That's a pretty accurate description of the US of A now, one of the world's most socially retarded countries. Go somewhere else for goodness' sake ! If the USA doesn't need foreign currency then God bless them.
That's pretty much the sentiment. A mix of annoyance, irritation, and "F!!! you, too!"-style anger, followed by pledges to avoid the US in the future.

If that's what our country and economy needs at this point, then this is definitely the plan for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Including Tourists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I see nothing wrong with keeping foreigners out of the U.S.

Now if our military could just be brought home to defend the borders of the U.S.
What about Americans going to visit other countries? Would you prohibit that?
Hmmm.....

Starting to sound a bit like China under Mao or North Korea under Kim Il-sung.

Ken

Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Some more stuff....

Travelers to Europe May Face Fingerprinting

washingtonpost.com

The European Commission will propose tomorrow that all foreign travelers entering and leaving Europe, including U.S. citizens, should be fingerprinted. If approved by the European Parliament, the measure would mean that precisely identifying information on tens of millions of citizens will be added in coming years to databases that could be shared by friendly governments around the world.

The United States already requires that foreigners be fingerprinted and photographed before they enter the country. So does Japan. Now top European security officials want to follow suit, with travelers being fingerprinted and some also having their facial images stored in a Europe-wide database, according to a copy of the proposal obtained by The Washington Post.
[Mod edited: content]

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 02-12-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Including Tourists?

What about Americans going to visit other countries? Would you prohibit that?
If you LOVE your country, why would you ever want to leave it?

In the 80's our country allowed other countries (Japan, England, and West Germany among them) to invest and purchase AMERICAN companies--making them no longer American. Foreign countries have also purchased portions of our country--can we really consider those tracts American? Or are they an extension of those investors' countries?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:

In the 80's our country allowed other countries (Japan, England, and West Germany among them) to invest and purchase AMERICAN companies--making them no longer American. Foreign countries have also purchased portions of our country--can we really consider those tracts American? Or are they an extension of those investors' countries?
That's easy. By ALL legal definitions, those are still part of America - except for embassy type grounds.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-13-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
I love my country. But, there are other countries to see - other cultures to interact with - wonderous things to see - the world over.

I love to travel - I have been to all 50 states and all US Territories. But, I do love traveling OUTSIDE of the United States as well.

I would hope that you are not really opposed to such travels.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I think we could increase airliner security by:

Arming flight crew including Stewards
Blocking entry to cockpit
Supplying one-shot pistols loaded with pepper shot to each passenger. Place guns in seat back pouches. Provide instruction by flight crew.

Or

Install a Radio Frequency ID chip as part of entry to US. Install chips into all US citizens so location, credit cards, road tolls can be tracked. Create bureaucracy to do tracking. [/font]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies