Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I'd love to swap some of these "Appalachian minded" bigots for hard working people who don't sponge off the system and head to "the Walmart" when their monthly gov't benefits come in.
I would too. My Moroccan brother-in-law, who immigrated to America when he was 25, has never taken a dime of public assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And in one breathe, Republicans worship this man and turn around and want a wall.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You're insane.
Ever hear of ISIS?
Do you really want the same type of problems we are seeing elsewhere, to be within our borders?

Let the refugees go to the wealthy middle east countries like Saudi Arabia!
The people fleeing ISIS aren't going to pose a problem for us. In the early 20th century anti-immigration bigots argued that we had to close our borders because of extremist ideas like anarchism and communism. What kind of impact did they have on us? Nadda. Zero.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
I look forward to the o.p. returning stateside and regaling us with succes stories of immigrant families he/she is personally sponsoring.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Imagine america as a condo complex with its association being the fed govt and the dues as taxes.
Now the residents pay dues to ensure upkeep, and also to provide for amenities such as trash pick-up, swimming pool, workout facility, conference room, dog park, bbq area, etc. Would it be fair for the association to take it upon themselves to allow the residents of the apt. complex across the road to come and use the amenities as their own? And what would become of the complex over time?
Frank, I am not saying we should welcome all takers and then feed them. This is the land of opportunity, not government handouts. Come to America. Help us build it and pay your taxes. That's the deal.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I look forward to the o.p. returning stateside and regaling us with succes stories of immigrant families he/she is personally sponsoring.
Immigration here isn't working out so well because in European nations your national identity is always going to be identified by your ancestors. America is SUPPOSED to be a different. The world needs a place where everyone of good faith and good intent can come and build a better society. America is supposed to be that place. We're failing.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:31 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
anyone who is willing work hard
I don't see too much of that.
What I see, literally, is foreigners coming here and having lots of babies
then having all their needs taken care of by Americans.
That's what I see.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Because we are not a magical place with unlimited land, resources, opportunities and infrastructure for a world population that the planet itself can barely sustain as it keeps growing.
We have PLENTY of room to grow. More people equals more demand for infrastructure equals more jobs. The formula that worked in the 19th and 20th centuries can work just fine in the 21st.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I don't see too much of that.
What I see, literally, is foreigners coming here and having lots of babies
then having all their needs taken care of by Americans.
That's what I see.
I grew up in a town with a huge immigrant population. They were typically much harder working than the natives.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
America is failing in its historical mission of being a beacon on the hill for the rest of the world. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity, where anyone who wants a better life can come and work for it. This is supposed to be the place where you can escape the problems of the old world and work to build a new one.

Why then aren't we opening our borders to Syrian refugees? Not just some of them. We should open our borders to all of them. 10 million? Sure. Why not? And let's grant the Mexicans who are here legal status while we're at it. We never should have had quotas on their immigration in the first place. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. What's the use in being America if it's not a land of opportunity for all?
your key word there is work.

there aren't enough jobs (and especially full time jobs thanks to obamacare), for AMERICANS, so why would we bring in more people to suppress wages even more and make it harder for americans to find work?

why don't they fight for their OWN countries? what is wrong with being a soldier for your country? they leave the women behind and flee, if you see what is happening in europe now.

we are not the world's babysitter, especially for grown men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies