Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist?
Yes 296 84.33%
No 55 15.67%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:46 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
There is just no way that, someone who would declare themselves to be an atheist, could ever believe in the
same things that I believe in.

But, I would add your whole poll is screwed up and is going to give you meaningless results.
In terms of governing a country, what things regarding governing would an atheist and you not be able to agree on or achieve common ground on?

And the poll is pretty plain and clear, and asks a straightforward question, and so your claim it is meaningless is nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 11:52 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,052 times
For me, I would prefer an atheist. Religion by and large is just irrational. I recognize that humans require myth and tradition for societal development, and I can respect that strategy, but we've long ago jumped down into the rabbit hole. My ideal, that will never actualize, is that the ability to run for office, as well as to vote, would be subject to the determination of possession of reason and breadth of knowledge not only addressing history and politics, but relevant to our age in 2017 (STEM and foreign affairs).

Old 04-02-2017, 12:40 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't think that Washington and other deists thought of themselves as "fake christians" - they did believe in god, went to church, believed in the NT moral teachings, and ignored the stuff that they thought didn't apply. Washington, for instance, is said to have ducked out on communion while his wife stayed. Nor did they lie about what they believed.

I'd reserve the term "fake christian" for people who go through all the motions and lie.
I don't believe George Washington ever came out and said he was a deist. What we believe about George Washington is based on our assumptions about how he lived his life. I would assume if you asked him, he was an Anglican(IE the Church he associated).

George Washington and Religion*·*George Washington's Mount Vernon

As for Jefferson, he did claim to be a Christian, but his words aren't clear on what he meant.

https://www.monticello.org/site/rese...igious-beliefs

"To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; and believing he never claimed any other." - Thomas Jefferson

George Washington didn't seem to be a deist, insofar as he believed god was active in the universe.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Well, Trump, Obama, and Clinton are probably all Atheists or at least secular behind closed doors.

I would suspect that we've had LOTS of non-religious presidents. Some of the more well known ones would include Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
An unbeliever has no moral compass. They can rationalize anything as being good.. this is a giant problem for me.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
An unbeliever has no moral compass. They can rationalize anything as being good.. this is a giant problem for me.

What is your basis for this? Do you even know any atheists, or anything about them, to make such an ignorant claim?

I would suggest going into the atheist section of this forum and making this ridiculous claim, if you have the courage to post it where you would have to defend it. Not so much to see you get reamed, but rather, after the initial responses you will begin to see that your claim is nothing but ignorant nonsense.

It is far FAR more common for religious people to rationalize wrong acts on the basis that "god wants me to do this" than for an atheist to try and rationalize wrong behavior on the basis of there is no god.

Last edited by wallflash; 04-02-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
True believers can justify anything. "Kill them all. God will know his own."

Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'd love to have an atheist a president. The sooner the better.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
No .
You can see the damage Obama did and you want another one?
Actions speak louder than words , Obama demonstrates no regard for God at all, in spite of any thing he might claim.
You think trump is a Christian?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:01 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You think trump is a Christian?

You think we value your opinion of Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies