Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,279,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Equity and options along with Chinese money are driving the market; salaries pay the taxes and the light bill.
But the municipalities and schools still need workers. And there is going to be immense pressure against taking Police or Teachers up enough to make the area livable.

And that has to drive taxes out of sight...but that is going to be tough in Prop 13 land.

Subsidized housing may actually make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:38 PM

1,229 posts, read 856,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And then people in CA wonder why their taxes are so high.....
------------------------
PALO ALTO (CBS SF) — Palo Alto is seeking housing solutions for residents who are not among the region’s super-rich, but who also earn more than the threshold to qualify for affordable housing programs.

The city council has unanimously passed a housing plan that would essentially subsidize new housing for what qualifies as middle-class nowadays, families making from $150,000 to $250,000 a year.

$250K/Year Salary Qualifes For Subsidized Housing Under Palo Alto Plan « CBS San Francisco
This is perhaps the best video I've watched explaining the dire nature of the situation. It even depicts the ubiquitous google self-driving car.

If it's been posted already - my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjXUBMkkE8

Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,352,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you saying a family of four making $150K to $250K a year cannot rent a place and live without support of the government?
I live in a place that 3 years ago if you could find a place to rent, it would be insanely expensive (3 bedrooms would typically cost $4-5k). Even now things are still expensive and yet if you make a middle class income you can barely survive.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:17 PM

37,042 posts, read 19,018,642 times
Quote:
------------------------
PALO ALTO (CBS SF) — Palo Alto is seeking housing solutions for residents who are not among the region’s super-rich, but who also earn more than the threshold to qualify for affordable housing programs.

The city council has unanimously passed a housing plan that would essentially subsidize new housing for what qualifies as middle-class nowadays, families making from $150,000 to $250,000 a year.

$250K/Year Salary Qualifes For Subsidized Housing Under Palo Alto Plan « CBS San Francisco
The wealthy always have been the ones who expect something for nothing. These entitled welfare queens are angling to become 1%ers, obviously.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,156,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
This is perhaps the best video I've watched explaining the dire nature of the situation. It even depicts the ubiquitous google self-driving car.

If it's been posted already - my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjXUBMkkE8
That real estate agent makes my skin crawl, especially at the end of the video.

My heart hurts for that lady who has to get up at 5:00 AM every morning and has a 4 hour commute back home at night where she doesn't get home until 8:00 PM. What kind of a life is that?

I am shocked that UC Berkeley is predicting that the exodus from California isn't even halfway over yet. I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was that bad.

But the worst part of the situation is all the homes snapped up by Chinese investors that just sit empty. Meanwhile, people who grew up there are being displaced and forced to leave. There is something seriously, seriously disturbing about that.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,179,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
here's why

"Some of the small two-bedroom, one-bath homes on her block are worth between $1.5 and $2 million – as teardowns. That’s just what the dirt is worth.

“Prices have just gone through the roof, making it unaffordable for middle-class people, your firefighters, your teachers, and, frankly, some of your doctors,” Palo Alto Vice Mayor Greg Scharff said."
Are they unable to move to any place else in the world?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,179,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They better at least be able to afford the land... giving away houses at discount prices just drives up the price of them and basically hands out select people free money for no good reason. Let the free market dictate what they can afford. If they can't afford southern CA, they should move. It's a big country.

As someone who works and earns a middle class income it irks me to think that government thinks people are entitled to substantial discounts on real estate because they are "low wage earners" .. it's one thing letting them have subsidized rent, but they shouldn't be able to massively profit from the deal, and should have to give any profits from the home's sale, back to the government.
Exactly, it just raises the prices for everyone else.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 PM

15,833 posts, read 21,363,779 times
I keep seeing people post, "Well, they can just move!" And that's the point. The state needs to subsidize the typical middle class worker (teachers, nurses, social workers, police officers, firemen, dog catchers, small business owners) in order to keep them in the area.

It's always amazing to me that people really have no idea how bad things are in the whole Bay Area. A friend who just a few years out of college has already founded and sold a company and was doing well at a startup in NYC (well enough to afford a studio at 25 in the Village) recently took a job at Facebook. Despite getting a huge raise, he's now living in one of those homes you see on TV that has been converted into basically a techie barrack. He pays over $1000 a month to share a bedroom with someone else in a house with 12 people and 3 bathrooms. For him, that experience at Facebook is worth it so he can turn around and leverage those connections a few years down the line back east. Or, like every Silicon Valley dreamer, he hopes to use the connection to the VC boom in SF to start another company. There's nowhere in the country - or the world - like SF for those connections. You just can't make the comparison. You don't find the best and the brightest in the industry in Indianapolis or Omaha.

But that said, for every rising tech star there are 50 people making more average incomes serving coffee, answering phones, delivering office supplies, sorting mail, teaching kids, cutting hair, etc. The state can't demand a salary freeze or put a cap on housing costs, so it props up a growing class of middle-class-anywhere-but-the-Bay-Area so the whole thing doesn't implode.

It's a shame those early tech companies didn't evolve in an area that was already densely populated with more mountains and bays than buildable land. Like other expensive metropolitan areas (NYC, Boston) they are much more limited in where they can build housing, leaving a perpetual shortage.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,833,219 times
Quote:
------------------------

Aren't most Americans with mortgages being subsidized?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,684,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
My heart hurts for that lady who has to get up at 5:00 AM every morning and has a 4 hour commute back home at night where she doesn't get home until 8:00 PM. What kind of a life is that? .
That's not a good life. She should move. There are better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies