Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you torture a Terrorists family member to save innocent lives?
Yes, war is killing people and breaking things, do what has to be done 102 72.34%
Only if it would save a substantial number of lives 11 7.80%
Only the terrorist themself not family if they are innocent 15 10.64%
Never even if it means saving a whole city from total destruction. 13 9.22%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,604 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Would you torture a terrorist if it meant you could get info to stop a bombing? How far would you go? Personally I firmly believe that even if we had to torture the terrorists family to death it would be worth it. War is a messy business, no one like to see how sausage is made. You can not have it for breakfast by petting a cow. Blood must be spilled. Where is your line? If it would save 100 people would you torture the child of a terrorist in front of them to get info? What if it was a Nuke and you would save a million people? IMO if we want to win we have to do what ever it takes. Extraordinary times take extraordinary measures. I know the Hippie liberal will say never the same Dukaus idiot answer that he would not want the death penalty for someone who rapped and murdered his wife. This only leads to more crime and more death. Some times you have to cut off the arm to save the body. Sorry liberal but this is the real world not some kumbya world.
How would you know that you could get info to stop a bombing?

Why would a terrorist tell you, even under torture, truthful information, when they could lie instead? All the terrorist has to do is stall you if the bombing is imminent. If the bombing isn't imminent, then you would have other ways and time to head off this bombing that you know is coming.

And are YOU going to be the one doing the torture?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:46 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
I love all the thoughtful, well reasoned, qualifications. I also like the 'torture doesn't work', torture can work' idealogical debate, each trotting out former interrogators to support (here come the links we've all seen).

I'm simple: yes.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I love all the thoughtful, well reasoned, qualifications. I also like the 'torture doesn't work', torture can work' idealogical debate, each trotting out former interrogators to support (here come the links we've all seen).

I'm simple: yes.
YOU would personally torture another human being?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hey, let's behead their children in front of them, if it yields no intel we can always claim the 'monkey see' monkey do' defense and go far towards killing the notion America is somehow 'different'.

It'd bring peace because there'd be no reason to fight them, we'd be just like them.
This is what really kills me. The mentality that says, "These people are animals! So we have to be animals, too!"

People who believe this hate America and what we're supposed to stand for. And then they call themselves "patriots." It's obvious, from what they want to turn this country into, that they don't know the meaning of the word.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Without question. I don't consider these nutjobbers human.

Truth be told, most people on this thread would torture someone to save a loved one from a horrific fate. It's just easy to take the moral high ground on anonymous internet forums.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Death or Bunga Bunga.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Without question. I don't consider these nutjobbers human.
You couldn't think of them as human and torture them. Could you?

The ability to torture someone, like the ability to own someone, requires that you think of your victim as less than human.

But to do that requires that you lose some of your own humanity.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You couldn't think of them as human and torture them. Could you?

The ability to torture someone, like the ability to own someone, requires that you think of your victim as less than human.

But to do that requires that you lose some of your own humanity.
That's the female brain talking.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That's the female brain talking.
It's the male brain that has gotten us to this place to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies