Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you torture a Terrorists family member to save innocent lives?
Yes, war is killing people and breaking things, do what has to be done 102 72.34%
Only if it would save a substantial number of lives 11 7.80%
Only the terrorist themself not family if they are innocent 15 10.64%
Never even if it means saving a whole city from total destruction. 13 9.22%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:34 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,186,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yeah, John McCain has some gravitas in this area, given he's still living with issues caused during his time as a POW. Morton Downey Jr. not so much.

Although I must say I find ironic I'm a pablum puking liberal, what say you Goodnight?
I think we found something we can agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not such a stretch.

“Should any American soldier be so base and infamous as to injure any [prisoner]. . . I do most earnestly enjoin you to bring him to such severe and exemplary punishment as the enormity of the crime may require. Should it extend to death itself, it will not be disproportional to its guilt at such a time and in such a cause… for by such conduct they bring shame, disgrace and ruin to themselves and their country.” – George Washington, charge to the Northern Expeditionary Force, Sept. 14, 1775

George Washington was opposed to torture.
We do not even need to go back that far.
Our country considered torture a war crime when other countries did it.

We sentenced to death Japanese that were involved in torture during WW2 and many of those executions involved those that waterboarded prisoners.

We called waterboarding torture then, but regardless, we executed others for using torture no matter what method they chose.

It seems some wish to throw out all principals and morals this country had in its past and then they wonder why it has sunk so low in a sea of corruption and injustice.

Why would anyone think it is a good idea to give more power to politicians? Do you think that won't be turned against us?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Imminent danger is the threat that Islam poses. The bodies that lay on the streets of Brussels, 9/11 and California and Boston, that is as Imminent as it can get and all we need.
So you agree with giving our government more power over others Globally since this is not about protection within the Constitutional USA but the world and you trust them fully to act in your best interests....

Are you a Neocon or Liberal?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yes. But warfare is to win. The USA abrogated international treaties which we were a party to when in our one big war. Done so to facilitate winning.

I am no fan of fire bombing women and children but it was done and no guilt afterwards.
Then if it had been Japan and Germany that won, you would condone them for executing Americans for war crimes like the fire bombing?

It looks like ethics and morality are being thrown out the door left and right in this country.

Why should anyone abide by ethics in this country at all then?
There are many examples where this is happening

As the latest example, I see outrage over student loans not being paid back, but why should they pay them back even if they had a contract to pay it back? Ethics?

Or Goldman Sachs betting against their own clients. Why should they work for their own clients? Ethics?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Man you're all over the place, Madras schools, Jerimiah Wright, Muslim in the WH, I assume the bourbon is kicking in.
As I expected ... you did not look up anything. KJV ... "Be thou not wise in thine own conceits". Has anyone ever explained the meaning of assume to you? Silly attempt of yours to avoid the obvious.

Quote:
You should really read some excerpts from the GITMO CIA report before you make the assumption as to the effectiveness of torture.
WOW ... Mister I won't read anything is now giving advice on reading. I laugh at you.

Quote:
Yes it's easy to determine terrorists after the fact how do you torture terrorists like the San Bernadino, 9/11 or Ft Hood shooters before hand
Besides yourself...who else has advocated random torture? You keep forgetting the title of the topic and keep coming up with crap to obfuscate.

Quote:
Anyway it doesn't matter what we think because no one including Trump is going to be torturing anyone in the near future
Finally something that makes sense ... it's about time.

Quote:
we are about to put this dark period of GITMO behind us.
I don't think so.

Now if you would like to engage in some intelligent intercourse, I welcome it. I will accept the fact that you refuse to look up why I call the POS the WH moslem and you need to accept that I will continue to do so. Moving on ... the "dark period of GITMO" will remain with us as long as the WH moslem refuses to actually do something with them. Bringing them to the US, let alone our court system, is something US citizens really object to. I'm sure that some of you ilk don't mind because the detention facilities are not in your/their back yard. The WH moslem wants criminal charges brought. How will that work? These are battlefield combatants ... different rules.

O well, your turn ...

El Nox

Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
War is to be won then we can have civilized behavior afterward.
That is your first mistake in believing the war is over and civilized behavior returns
The war on drugs
The war on poverty
The war between classes
The war on who can spend the most for puppet politicians

Old 03-26-2016, 09:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,544 times
To the ten, umm, 'individuals'(see, I'm trying to be PC by not calling them mindless buffoons!&#128522 who would not torture to save an entire city...if the question assumes that the family members have information that will save the city, I offer two points to consider.

1-They are not innocent civilians. They are collaborators with the terrorists, or at the very least sympathizer's, who share as much guilt should a city be destroyed.

2-Can you honestly say(cmon, try it), that your answer would be the same if YOUR family lived in the doomed city? Do you want us to believe that if the CIA contacted you and told you that your entire family would die unless you gave the word to extract the nessasary info from the family of a terrorist, again, assuming we know they have said information ?

If any of you ten would still say no torture, you have to seriously reevaluate what went wrong in your life. The good news is that it certainly bolsters the atheist position that there is no supreme being, since any self respecting, all knowing God would never allow such flawed organisms to exist.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:56 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I would gladly torture an Islamic terrorist for a complimentary order of fries at Burger King.(Has to be a large size).
I need to amend my statement. I would also want some spare ribs and bacon, just to p**s the dirtbag off!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
To the ten, umm, 'individuals'(see, I'm trying to be PC by not calling them mindless buffoons!&#128522 who would not torture to save an entire city...if the question assumes that the family members have information that will save the city, I offer two points to consider.

1-They are not innocent civilians. They are collaborators with the terrorists, or at the very least sympathizer's, who share as much guilt should a city be destroyed.

2-Can you honestly say(cmon, try it), that your answer would be the same if YOUR family lived in the doomed city? Do you want us to believe that if the CIA contacted you and told you that your entire family would die unless you gave the word to extract the nessasary info from the family of a terrorist, again, assuming we know they have said information ?

If any of you ten would still say no torture, you have to seriously reevaluate what went wrong in your life. The good news is that it certainly bolsters the atheist position that there is no supreme being, since any self respecting, all knowing God would never allow such flawed organisms to exist.
Allow me to repeat myself:

I always find these questions rather ridiculous because none of us really know how we would react unless we ever get in to those situations.

By the way, the title to the thread does not match the question in the poll.

Now that's done with, I stand by what I said. I don't need your PC claptrap, I'm not a liberal. But I have been asked this question before, and I have put thought in to it before, and the easy answer with no thought behind it is to say: Yeah! Hrrrrr! Kill 'em all, the swine! Torture them! Make them suffaaaaaah!

Shut. Up.

That is an answer that is based on emotion and feelings. If we don't accept answers based on emotions and feelings for other subjects, why do the "use logic not feelings" people then turn around and answer with emotions and feelings on this subject?

So let me lay this out for you, Rambo, and maybe you'll use some logic instead of imagining someone over a spit with an apple in their mouth:

First of all, what are we answering? Are we answering the question in the thread title, or are we answering the question in the poll? In your thirst for blood, did you notice that they don't match up?

If it's the poll question, where do you draw the line? At the kids? How old? At the elderly parents? How old? Do they have any disabled family members? Do we torture them? Do we allow torture on all family members from infant on up to 90 year old, regardless of ability including mental ability? Do we pound on the mentally handicapped, who cares, they're part of the family?

If it's the title to the thread question, has torture been proven to be effective? What kind of torture is, and what kind of torture isn't? Is it documented anywhere that 'torture type x' proved effective and resulted in these responses which then gave information leading to Y which we were able to prevent from attacking'? Do we have that information? Have we successfully stopped a terrorist attack after torturing someone in a prison cell or a family member?

Second of all, how long do we torture? Until they give information? What if that information is inaccurate because they lied to us, (oh how shocking to think that might happen)? Do we torture them again? How many times?

Third, do you understand that people of different beliefs have different mindsets? What may work on you will NOT work on someone else? Let's pretend that you got your way. You got to go torture a family member. What do you think their options will be? Not tell you the truth and have you torture them to death, or tell you something and have their village, peers, family, other prisoners torture them to death (beating, etc)? Which way do you think that they would prefer to die? At the hands of their own, or with honor against you?

Does the US have suicide bombers? Do we have those in war time? Do we have a battalion of people who would be willing to be suicide bombers?

Ask yourself: Why not.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
YOU would personally torture another human being?
I would personally put the electrodes on a terrorist's balls and turn the crank. I would sleep well at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies