Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:27 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Constitution is only a frame to hang common law upon and a base to hold common law up so it won't fall.

Common law is the law we all live under everyday. The Constitution covers very little common law. It only defines what laws are legal or not. Whether common law follows the constitution or not, and that issue is decided by the Supreme Court, not you, me, or any of our legislators.

This basic civics. I though you would have already known that. If you have a gripe about constitutionality, take it up with your Representative. That's why they're in Congress in the first place.
In other words, nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In other words, nowhere.
The US has historically performed " middle of the pack" in terms of international comparisons of student performance, contrary to perceptions that the US was ever the best. Over the years the number of countries that participate in international comparisons has increased and the US has sustained its middle of the pack status.

Every country that bests the US in educational ranking guarantees the right to education either by constitutional authority or independent statute or ratification of international law relative to human rights.

The US constitution does not confer the right of education to its citizens. Many state constitutions however, do.

Only Somalia and the US have not ratified the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

The so-called wealthiest country in the world does not guarantee its people the right to education or healthcare.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
A public school needs motivated students to set the example for others. How many times have you heard stories of young men who got their act together because a girl they liked told them that she wasn't going to put up with his under achievement?

Now imagine what happens if that young woman gets a free ride to a private school and the young man is surrounded by women who have no problems with his malingering ways?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Vouchers arent actually used by poor families to escape failing schools, at least not in large numbers, they are actually used by the more better off families to escape those schools leaving behind less money for the already failing schools and those students who are poor.

If you want to allocate money to vouchers, without taking a dime from public schools and also propose transportation and full tuition for poor students to better schools, I doubt you would see a single Democrat be against it, but no republican does such a thing.

As for the Democratic solution, it is to reward public schools that meet and exceed expectations, as well as using the fellowship program which to pay over performing teachers to move to failing schools and help them raise their numbers ,training new teachers along the way. IN short, fix the public schools by using schools that are doing good.

While you may disagree with that strategy, it is there, you not liking it doesnt mean Democrats dont have a plan.
That's absolutely true. John Kasich raided the public school funds in a very highly rated school system and funneled them to underperforming charter schools. It had disastrous consequences for the OH public school systems. Once a highly rated school system . . .OH schools have been downgraded during his reign as governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Many right wingers seem confused about where they stand on taxpayer funded education. On one hand they are against it (even though it is enshrined in many state constitutions) "why should I pay to educate some other person's kids" and on the other they have no problem giving those tax dollars to private sector businesses (charter schools).
Yes. Most good teachers I know - question the function of the charter school system.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US has historically performed " middle of the pack" in terms of international comparisons of student performance, contrary to perceptions that the US was ever the best. Over the years the number of countries that participate in international comparisons has increased and the US has sustained its middle of the pack status.

Every country that bests the US in educational ranking guarantees the right to education either by constitutional authority or independent statute or ratification of international law relative to human rights.

The US constitution does not confer the right of education to its citizens. Many state constitutions however, do.

Only Somalia and the US have not ratified the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

The so-called wealthiest country in the world does not guarantee its people the right to education or healthcare.
I think we are too wrapped up in wars and trying to get everyone except the US citizen these things. Are teachers even going to be able to handle the load of non-speaking English students coming their way. Along with overcrowding and disruptive students.......How many will opt for teaching as a career when the pensions are no longer an incentive to teach.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Teachers Unions!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Many states and public school districts have 'open enrollment'.
No, not "many."

Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I tutored kids from a charter here in Washington, DC. Great kids.

Vouchers are another word for scholarships for families from low income backgrounds who also give a damn about their kids' education and prospects.

I cannot imagine how anyone could be against them, but there they are on TV, in the papers, posting on C-D, running for office, etc. There they are in droves trying to keep people down.

I think it absolutely disgusting.
Me, too.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The above and...

As an alumni of an all boys, all African American Catholic prep school very similar to the one depicted on 60 minutes I recall the ultra liberal administration of my school adamantly opposing any government funding knowing full well that such money was being used to support all white Catholic prep schools and was in addition fundamentally contrary to constitutional separation of Church and State.
That ship has already sailed, so your point is irrelevant. Government funding is already available to religion-affiliated schools. Some of the best colleges/universities in the US are religious schools... Notre Dame, Georgetown, Boston College, Emory University (which a few years ago successfully treated the two US citizen Ebola victims), etc., etc.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
I get a laugh when republicans and democrats argue the fine points of unconstitutional progressive schemes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies