Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol, I'll remember this next time anyone tries to give liberals any grief over being oversensitive.

Overtly religious Hindu greeting, GOOD!

Anything remotely connected to Christianity, BAD!

The Meaning of Namaste: Many Translations, One Universal Intention : Waking Times

"When a pair of Modesto teachers saw a Merry Christmas sign on their high school’s marquee, they pointed out to the administrator that the school was promoting one religion’s holiday over others. The principal then made a tiny Happy Hanukkah sign and tacked it to a wall. That resolved nothing in the teachers’ view. The best tact is to educate, not celebrate."

Jesus Sign Is a No Go in Public School Classroom - US News

"Students may be taught about religion, but public schools may not teach religion."

https://www.aclu.org/joint-statement...public-schools

Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,796,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It ain't exercise? LOL. Jumping jacks are easy peasy compared to holding certain poses. My husband felt the same way you do when he visited his first yoga class. A retired Marine, by the way. He was very surprised.
Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:12 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,026,923 times
You need to review the post I was responding to. Don't think you thought before typing. It is all in the context, you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Now foreign languages cannot be spoken bc of the percent of people who speak that language who may or may not practice a religion?

You people are truly wackadoo.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,026,923 times
And millions do not. Try doing the little head bow, folded hands, Namaste in Southern Coastal areas. You'll get some, Get outta here looks. Guaranteed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're an ignorant agnostic and liberal.

Millions of Indian people say, "Namaste" as an informal greeting and it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.

OMG.

People make fun of our country for being dumb and xenophobic and they're 100% correct. I can't believe I defended us for so long. It's all true.

#disillusioned

Old 03-27-2016, 03:30 PM

18,129 posts, read 15,523,498 times
The new information about the vice principals conflict of interest in this matter casts a new light. Once she started peddling her "power crystals" a d the fact she owns a shop that caters to a form of religion she is a practicioner of, that sorta blows defending the yoga on the grounds they are seularly practicing it in the school.

There was more to this than initially released.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 PM

18,401 posts, read 7,002,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So Bob, you would be in favor of children praying from the Koran every morning before classes.
Depends.

If it's mandated.... no.

If it's of their own free will, I have no issue with any child freely practicing the religion of their chioce.

What's the matter? Not the answer you were expecting?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:29 PM

18,401 posts, read 7,002,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When you accommodate one then there is an obligation to accommodate all.
And this is a problem, because.....????

Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 PM

46,791 posts, read 25,701,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I too vehemently agree about using yoga in school (like grammar school) because it is not just exercise, it is worship to a pagan god. For example, there is one pose called the prayer pose. This definitely is a form of worship disguised as exercise.
Apart from the rather silly conspiracy overtones, isn't it pretty much doctrine in every religion that prayer has to be, y'know, a conscious and determined act on the part of the person praying? If an archeologist reads out an Egyptian inscription, he's not really calling on Anubis or whoever, is he?

Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Apart from the rather silly conspiracy overtones, isn't it pretty much doctrine in every religion that prayer has to be, y'know, a conscious and determined act on the part of the person praying? If an archeologist reads out an Egyptian inscription, he's not really calling on Anubis or whoever, is he?
Led by the teacher? It would be O.K. if the school had the teachers start the day with the Lord's Prayer?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,492,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Have you ever taken a yoga class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why would I try something that is stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.